The little things in Little by Little
11-28-2005, 01:09 AM
The little things in Little by Little
Everyone has their favorite songs, and that's been done to death. I want to hear about the little things in the new record that you really love.

For me, the first moment I can think of is in "Cold Snap" - that shift in the song where sean sings "we will be lazy with our language". The whole thing of reservation (musically) leading to a build up and kicking in the chorus really works well for this type of song.

Alternatively, there's something great about driving home from work late enough for the traffic lights to be blinking during Moral Centralia when it kicks up (the part that goes "drove around all night, the stop lights were interminable"), the drum beat fits with the pulse of the lights almost dead-on every time.

I ain't afraid of no rolly-coaster.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2005, 03:37 AM

That light blinking situation would probably freak me out.

These are probably the littlest things i can think of...

Sean's sigh in Picture Picture after "dog in the manger".

The cymbal 'tink' in Cold Snap during "she thought she felt a little break but it was the weather"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-28-2005, 10:55 AM

Phoenix Wrote:The cymbal 'tink' in Cold Snap during "she thought she felt a little break but it was the weather"
absolutely. awesome.

Slightly less little... er... slighly bigger bits:

The crowd-bits in Picture, Picture.

The bass piano part in What You Live By takes my breath away.
Scratch that.
The whole piano part in What You Live By takes my breath away.

Hardly Dangerous
My Photos
11-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Re: The little things in Little by Little
The vocals in Cold Snap are probably the best Sean has ever done. I've already dropped praise for the creaky-voice thing he does, but I also get really excited about the way he belts out "cold snap!"

A line that cheers me up every time: "I like this kind of hot kind of music" from the C&BR reprise, which is a line from Honey Pie, a very much McCartney tune from the White Album.

more later, probably.
11-28-2005, 01:29 PM

I am absolutely in love with the transitions to and from the chorus in Cool James. The drumming is just perfect spot on for me.
11-28-2005, 03:14 PM

The best part of the cd is the end of diminishing returns "cooler head will prevail".....
HoP
11-28-2005, 06:28 PM
dchris Wrote:A line that cheers me up every time: "I like this kind of hot kind of music" from the C&BR reprise, which is a line from Honey Pie, a very much McCartney tune from the White Album.

at what point does he sing this?
11-28-2005, 06:38 PM
chelsea Wrote:
dchris Wrote:A line that cheers me up every time: "I like this kind of hot kind of music" from the C&BR reprise, which is a line from Honey Pie, a very much McCartney tune from the White Album.

I'm assuming you mean Sean and not Paul? Let me listen and see...

Oh, here we go! After "it's probably you... whoooo-hooo!!!" and before "it's not a race" at about 3:17.
11-28-2005, 06:50 PM
dchris Wrote:
chelsea Wrote:

I'm assuming you mean Sean and not Paul? Let me listen and see...

Oh, here we go! After "it's probably you... whoooo-hooo!!!" and before "it's not a race" at about 3:17.

haha yes, i meant sean. and now i hear it! it's subtle, but definitely there.
oh how i love "honey pie."
11-28-2005, 07:07 PM

you know, my fave song is little round mirrors. i just sit and cry for about 2 weeks of listening, im cool now though. i dont have the extra cd...for xmas, i want,...to sit on santas lap...hopefully, ythat lap would idealy be john rod, 2nd sean lo and 3rd hi s royal sucker, prince william.
11-28-2005, 08:24 PM

I'd have to say those two moments in the middle of Moral Centralia, right after the second (you are weak, i am strong) and before (Feeling well int omy cups already). it's soft and quiet, and then comes this spectacular supernova of sound.

the meanest grandfather lives the longest.
11-28-2005, 11:59 PM

At the end of Happiness Writes White, when he says "Are you sleeping?" gets me every time. That, and the bonus track, OMG awesome.

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
11-29-2005, 06:55 AM

I am particularly fond of the echoey backing vocals on Cool James. All the harmonies on that song are pretty golden.

"Perfect conversation-tion-tion...."
11-29-2005, 07:33 AM

Every single time Sean adds a "woo!"

Visit me or don't.
11-29-2005, 11:48 AM

Myrrth Sicopath Wrote:At the end of Happiness Writes White, when he says "Are you sleeping?" gets me every time. That, and the bonus track, OMG awesome.

Same here....

Could be a great opening song for a TV show...

'Cause I get...Oh,
[Image: 5182420330_6ab566d70a_m.jpg]
Carlotta Valdez, Carlotta Valdez, Carlotta Valdez, I will make you her...