Bots
11-17-2005, 01:24 PM

I've got way too much free time for my own good. I'd love to help control the bot population.

I ain't afraid of no rolly-coaster.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2005, 01:33 PM

I'm in.

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
11-17-2005, 02:32 PM

me too, I check this beast religiously.
11-17-2005, 05:07 PM

I'm also willing to volunteer, although my regularity of posting and presence may drop if I find employment. Equally I have doubts about how trustworthy I am...

Love Potato
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-17-2005, 05:48 PM

I would be in too if asked.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
11-17-2005, 06:20 PM

i'd volunteer, because god knows i spend too much time here while attempting to procrastinate on homework, but i have limited if not dysfunctional computer skills. i'd prolly just break the internet again. but i do dislike bots, cept the ones that post in arabic, or whatever that was.
11-18-2005, 12:31 AM

The Remarkable Man Wrote:You and the other mods

ahh, me? The bots have always been a problem, but from what I've seen the two biggest conributors to the bot population have been locked and deleted.

[Image: bwp4.gif]
11-18-2005, 10:43 AM

*volunteers for bot lynching*

Hardly Dangerous
My Photos
11-19-2005, 01:07 PM

I have an idea to help control the bot population - modify your robots.txt file. Don't allow bots to see the forums. You'll lose legitimate search engine traffic on your forums, but that's a minor price to pay because the forums aren't the main part of the site anyway. Googling for "Harvey Danger" would still bring up this site. Disallowing all robots from the /phpBB2 would eliminate at least some of the traffic, since robots have to find that we have a forum from somewhere.

Similarly, change the folder name from phpBB2 to something else ("community"?), as bots look for folder names as well so they know the format of the forum in which to post.

Off topic: w00t. 50th post.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
11-20-2005, 10:28 AM

Homncruse Wrote:I have an idea to help control the bot population - modify your robots.txt file.

Not a bad suggestion, but nothing compels spambots to follow the robots.txt rules. You'd be losing legitimate robot traffic, while the illegitimate traffic wouldn't even ping robots.txt before informing us about some totally bitchin' ringtones. In Mandarin.

Homncruse Wrote:Similarly, change the folder name from phpBB2 to something else ("community"?)

Now that, I could get behind.

The Annotated King James Version
11-20-2005, 12:50 PM

Homncruse Wrote:Similarly, change the folder name from phpBB2 to something else ("community"?), as bots look for folder names as well so they know the format of the forum in which to post.

*light bulb*

Duh, why didn't I think of that before?
11-20-2005, 06:58 PM

jjlin Wrote:
Homncruse Wrote:Similarly, change the folder name from phpBB2 to something else ("community"?), as bots look for folder names as well so they know the format of the forum in which to post.

*light bulb*

Duh, why didn't I think of that before?

Hehe, I've been a mod/admin of forums for WAY too many years and in WAY too many communities (5 that I can think of off the top of my head), and it took me a while to come up with ideas like that.

You'll never win the war against bots as long as you allow guest posting and don't require administrator activation, but you can win the occasional battle.

Aziraphale: No, bots don't always follow robots.txt rules, but the more primitive bots that scour Google using terms to find phpBB installations (Just google for "Powered by phpBB") can be stopped by removing forum references from Google.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
11-29-2005, 07:54 PM

:lol: :shock:
gasp the bots have once again infiltrated, oh the irony

I think, therfore I am a communist
11-29-2005, 11:15 PM

What bot dost thou speak of?

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
11-30-2005, 09:57 AM

The Remarkable Man Wrote:What bot dost thou speak of?
I guess it got moderated after my post, but it was right above my last post

I think, therfore I am a communist