Bots
11-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Bots
Seriously I'm about to reach the end of my rope. I don't have time to read posts any more, just constantly delete bot posts. But requiring people to register isn't really the problem, as bots can register very easily.

:evil: Hate bots.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Re: Bots
Brant Wrote::evil: Hate bots.

And, yet again:
Never trust robots.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-15-2005, 04:25 PM
dchris Wrote:
Brant Wrote::evil: Hate bots.

And, yet again:
Never trust robots.

where do you find stuff like that?

the meanest grandfather lives the longest.
11-15-2005, 04:36 PM
That came, once again, from barsukboardland.
11-16-2005, 05:43 AM

But, if a spambot registered, couldn't we just ban the IP address? Or does it not work that way?
11-16-2005, 07:33 AM

They would just connect from a differnet IP (easy to do), and create a new account. It's hopeless in that regard.
11-16-2005, 07:43 AM

Thank you Brant for your ever-vigilant watchful eye. You and the other mods make the board safe for us from spambots. For some reason I picture the spambots as those creepy squid-like robots from the Matrix, especially when you can tell there is a mass of them on the board.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
11-16-2005, 09:24 AM

TRM i have the same thoughts..

Quick! Everyone stop thinking! Maybe they'll go away...
11-17-2005, 02:42 AM
Brant Wrote:Seriously I'm about to reach the end of my rope. I don't have time to read posts any more, just constantly delete bot posts. But requiring people to register isn't really the problem, as bots can register very easily.

:evil: Hate bots.

Sorry. Sad But even if people don't explicitly say so, we all really appreciate the work you've done. thanks.
11-17-2005, 04:19 AM

Brant Wrote:But requiring people to register isn't really the problem, as bots can register very easily.

What about combining members-only-posting with the old 'admin will validate your membership in 24hrs' thing? Obviously that would be a hassle for Jeff so maybe he could delegate, but it would mean suspicious parties can be non-acceptedafied. It doesn't matter what IP they're registering from then.

For instance showclubinfo.info (who, just for info, is currently online at the same time as me) would not be accepted as a member of this fine community and thus would never get to post the info about his showclubinfo that he's so desperate to inform us of.

Stories of rags to riches leave me in stitches...
11-17-2005, 10:40 AM

sass Wrote:
Brant Wrote:But requiring people to register isn't really the problem, as bots can register very easily.

What about combining members-only-posting with the old 'admin will validate your membership in 24hrs' thing? Obviously that would be a hassle for Jeff so maybe he could delegate, but it would mean suspicious parties can be non-acceptedafied. It doesn't matter what IP they're registering from then.

For instance showclubinfo.info (who, just for info, is currently online at the same time as me) would not be accepted as a member of this fine community and thus would never get to post the info about his showclubinfo that he's so desperate to inform us of.

I'm sure that would diminish bot activity, but it would also stop people who have legitimately stopped by the board to peruse it from posting too. The nice thing about guest posting is that it allows people to be impulsive. Make 'em wait 24 hours, and they just as likely won't come back.

Still, people who make one post and never return are probably not the people who create benefit for the community. But it's just something ot think about.

Be seeing you...
-Flynn
"I forget what my friends look like, and they forget why they like me, but that's old hat. I'm so happy! How do you write about that?"
11-17-2005, 12:27 PM

Maybe you need another mod to handle the stress? Though, like Jeff said, you and BR are doing a bang up job of taking everyone of the bots down. Thanks!

You might want to check with the mods over at the TLW BB, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much a problem with bots over there. Perhaps they have something in place that would be helpful to us?

Visit me or don't.
11-17-2005, 12:42 PM

LoveSickJerk Wrote:Maybe you need another mod to handle the stress?

That may not be a bad idea. Maybe we should have another vote? Or if you want a volunteer, I'll throw my hand in.
11-17-2005, 12:45 PM

Such an appointment would be beneficial, in my mind.
11-17-2005, 01:06 PM

I can mod if needed, I promise to improve my spelling.

Gun don't kill babies, babies kill babies.