CD Repair?
11-09-2005, 08:12 PM
CD Repair?
Does anyone know of a product that can repair the lacquer finish thing on the underside of a CD? I'd heard of a product once that was sort of like a nail polish applied to CDs that would recoat the CD with a fresh protective layer. My Merrymaker's CD, along with 9 other CDs, was brutally mutilated when I was storing them in a CD visor in my car. The visor was just an el cheapo one from a dollar store, but it served me well for all of my favorite CDs (and hey, if any of the bandmembers read this, then I want you to know that the Merrymakers CD has *never* left my "frequently played" list [/asskiss]). Anyway, the visor sort of melted in the sun, and the gluey substance it was coated with literally glued my CDs to each other and the visor, and when they were pulled apart, they all lost some of the protective lacquer stuff that gives the reflective look. As such, none of those CDs play properly all the way through anymore Sad My Merrymaker's CD is unplayable after Jack the Lion (Track 6)!

I've searched high and low, but couldn't find anything, so I figure I'd best start asking some music-oriented communities to see what they know Wink Has anyone ever been able to repair CDs like this, or am I just SOL and have to repurchase new copies of all those CDs? Sad 'cuz I'm a struggling college student paying my own tuition out-of-pocket and that's quite the expense to replace...

Oh, and yes, I've tried using those rebuffering devices that buff surface scratches out and clean the disc (many different ones, in fact). No dice.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2005, 01:26 AM

If its the actual foil part (the obverse of the screened image on the CD), there's not much you can do aside from getting new copies.

If it's just the plastic on the bottom that's scratched, there's several ways. I've heard tale that you can boil them, but I haven't done it. Anyone else want to chime in?

I ain't afraid of no rolly-coaster.
Find all posts by this user
11-10-2005, 10:26 AM

I feel your pain,my like 2nd favorite song of all time is wrecking ball.

Gun don't kill babies, babies kill babies.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user