Length Of Harvey Danger Obsession & Official Age Topic
05-25-2005, 05:36 AM
Length Of Harvey Danger Obsession & Official Age Topic
It's as simple as the topic title emplies.

How long have you been?

My interest in them sparked around 1997-1998, when I first heard Flagpole Sitta. My interest held me until 2000, when King James Version was released. I became a hardcore HD fan, and have been recommending them to all my friends for about 5-6 years now. Tongue

As cheesy/sappy as it sounds, I actually cried when Harvey Danger 'split up', as I don't normally care that deeply about bands. I'm glad to see a new album is coming out. Keep up the great work guys! :o

Edit: Seems it's an age topic to boot now. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2005, 05:50 AM

I permanently borrowed WHATMMG from a friend of mine who let me keep it as he moved away. I listened to it every day for three years, then got KJV and did the same. And now to do it all over again!

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
05-25-2005, 05:59 AM

I originally bought Merrymakers on casette (!) for $8.99 at my local Sam the Record Man back in '98. It was my first CD ever purchased when I finally got a CD player... (I know, I can't believe I waited 'til 1998 to get a CD player, either)

I actually took a six-hour there, six-hour back road trip to pick up KJV as it was released one week earlier in your United States ... not to mention I simply HAD to get the Circuit City EP (we have no Circuit Cities here in the Canada).

Harvey Danger has consistently been my absolute favourite band since '98, never a doubt in my mind. No two records will ever see the rotation that HD's two efforts have, and the third is sure to follow. I can't wait.

Wish I still had the casette, tho. Jenny stole it.

And there you go, I've created a temporal paradox. A minor one, I hope.
05-25-2005, 06:25 AM

In true late bloomer fashion, I actually listened to KJV about 25 times before I convinced the adults with the car to take me to the record store so I could pick up WHATMMG. While my memory that far back lacks any sense of timing, I think this was in late 2000. I honestly don't think I had ever heard Flagpole Sitta before then, I was not a radio kid. It was Beatles records and classical compilations for me.

As I adjust my glasses.

If I had conjured this as a fiction
I would be scared I'd gone too far
05-25-2005, 06:29 AM

Flagpole Sitta '98 kinda time naturally. It was on the tv while I was on Holiday in the US and I tried to buy the album the next day, and failed. Turned out it hadn't been released yet.

So come release day I got the secretary who liked me at the company my dad was working for over there to pick up a copy and stick it in the mail to me. Best money I've ever got someone else to spend for me.

In related news I believe they're the only band left on my "bands I really need to see live" list. Obviously a UK show would help but I'll probably end up going to the US...

Love Potato
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-25-2005, 06:46 AM

In 98, a friend of mine who was an amazing Hockey Goalie, said to me "Dude you've got to listen to this cd! Its so amazing! There are tracks on there better than the radio single!" I had heard the radio single, and I really liked it, but didn't trust new music at that point in my life. So, since I belonged to BMG back then, I ordered it for $3 or something. Listened to it, and I haven't looked back.

KJV has an interesting story. I actually have purchased 3 copies of KJV. One at the midnight madness (it came out the same day BNL's Maroon was released), one I found years later for 7.99 at a supermarket stand, and one at Circuit City just to get the one penny CD. One of the odd copies went to my girlfriend at the time, the other was supposed to go to a good friend I was trying to convert to HD, but instead went to another girl, who loved intelligent insults.

Visit me or don't.
05-25-2005, 07:23 AM

Back in '97, the days of Flagpole Sitta first being played on KNDD. I remember when I first went to buy WHATMMG at my local Fred Meyer, but they were sold out. I had to wait a few weeks before they got more stock in. When KJV came out I had a copy of it reserved for me at some crappy record store in the mall, which I picked up directly after school.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
05-25-2005, 08:23 AM

LoveSickJerk Wrote:One of the odd copies went to my girlfriend at the time, the other was supposed to go to a good friend I was trying to convert to HD, but instead went to another girl, who loved intelligent insults.

Oh man, raise your hand if you've given a copy of KJV to a girl (or 2 or 3...) Or your preffered sex, whatever it may be.

If I had conjured this as a fiction
I would be scared I'd gone too far
05-25-2005, 08:31 AM

I bought a copy of Merrymakers for a boy.

How long? Late 1998.
05-25-2005, 08:56 AM

Disturbing Behavior had Flagpole Sitta on the commercial, and I liked it. It did not have it on the soundtrack, so in search for said song, I went ahead and picked up Merrymakers. Upon listening, I was blown away and listened over and over. I still have that same copy of Merrymakers - it hasn't worn out quite yet, and I still treat it with love. Since we've been together so long, there's been talk of marriage, but I'm not positive those kinds of things are smiled upon in my state (let alone my family!). Right now we're content to be together, in a sort-of "open" relationship with KJV. All is well.

I ain't afraid of no rolly-coaster.
05-25-2005, 09:00 AM

I heard flagpole sitta on a random CD of japanese animation i bought (it was used in a music video) during '99. Then spent ages trying to find out who it was. As soon as i did i bought WHATMG on impulse from amazon. I've never heard HD on radio, so im really looking forward to that with the 3rd album.
05-25-2005, 11:19 AM

I heard Flagpole several times on Steve Lamacqs Radio 1 Evening Session thingy (so must've been back when it was released) but tragically never caught the name. The lyrics stuck with me permanently after that. Didn't find out who it was until I saw American Pie (I went nuts when I heard FS) and spent several hours d/ling various tracks from the soundtrack until I found the correct song. Only had HD mp3's for a few years after that but then, knowing how much I loved what I had, got me the albums, which (obviously) were more perfect than I could've imagined.

Stories of rags to riches leave me in stitches...
05-25-2005, 11:36 AM

In the summer of 1998, I was terribly smitten with a girl. Completely and totally infatuated to the point of obsession. At the time, she was feeding off of the teenage impulses of a band called "Third Eye Blind."

At her party, another girl recommended to my best friend WHATMMG. And then two weeks later, my friend and I went on a trip to a lake in upper Wisconsin. For driving music, I selected Third Eye Blind as an homage to my unrequited love, and he selected WHATMMG in a sort of attempt to reach into the mind of that girl he liked.

Oh how it struck a chord in my fragile soul. Oh how it lightened the burden of my love, and the jealous torment I found myself reeling in. It's gentle melody soothed my imperfect heart, and other clichés of that nature. Why with such genius in our midsts, we barely even listened to the 'Harvey Danger' album. We both agreed that Third Eye Blind was the best album we’ve ever heard.

Two months later I couldn’t give a shit about Third Eye Blind, and I swear WHATMMG was played on average once, maybe twice a day.
05-25-2005, 12:46 PM

I heard Flagpole on NRK's local music show in Portland sometime fall '97. On a subsequent trip to Seattle I found me one odd looking cd in a cardboard case and the rest is history...
05-25-2005, 02:18 PM

I think "Flagpole Sitta" first appealed to me, but in a minimal way - in 1998ish I bought WHATMMG from my friend for 5 dollars, i believe, in addition to two other cds that I actually really wanted from him - I listed to "Flagpole Sitta" a few times and didn't think twice about the anything else on the album - then one day while I was playing with legos - I put the cd on and just let it play through (because I was way too into the legos) - then in the middle of "Jack the Lion" I noticed the music again and thought it was such a great song - each following song quickly gained my affection - it wasn't long before I adored the whole album, which was rare for me at that age - most cd's, I'd listen to one or two songs over and over and over again - well I've been a big fan ever since that day - I can't ever seem to get enough

all it does is rain, but it never rains enough to cool my fever.