Styles
10-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Styles
Will there be a style available soon to match the HD site?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2004, 05:19 PM

vas ees these "styles"?

I'm not much of a designer (actually, let's be honest, I'm TERRIBLE at design), so any mucking about I would do would be a visual trainwreck. At some point I think we're going to redesign the whole site and probably the styles will change in accordance.

Until then, though, if you (or anyone else) would like to volunteer one of your own I'd be happy to give it a whirl (subject to band approval, of course).
10-30-2004, 06:32 PM

I'll see what I can come up with then.
I'm not so good with styles but, it's pretty easy to make one
11-01-2004, 05:56 AM

Maybe I'll throw somthing together, perhaps get Gimpy Joe On board (bad pun) since we're both in that field of designing things to look pretty.

Visit me or don't.
11-01-2004, 12:03 PM

LoveSickJerk Wrote:Maybe I'll throw somthing together, perhaps get Gimpy Joe On board (bad pun) since we're both in that field of designing things to look pretty.

Damn it. Now I have to figure out how to make one. Big Grin

I know you basically recreate every graphic on the board, anything else I should know? Cos' I be down.
11-01-2004, 12:54 PM

You and me both! Though I figure it may just be a simple color adjustment or two. And I know there are help forums and tools that help you adjust and customize these graphics specifically. Lets start here.

Visit me or don't.
11-01-2004, 05:42 PM

LoveSickJerk Wrote:You and me both! Though I figure it may just be a simple color adjustment or two. And I know there are help forums and tools that help you adjust and customize these graphics specifically. Lets start here.

I think it's relatively simple, they make it fairly easy to modify. I believe the phpBB forum has a list of sample styles. you can set all the parameters from a "control panel"-type interface.
11-02-2004, 05:15 AM

There's also downloadable ones at http://www.phpbb.com I believe, personally, I think this one would look good with the HD website
11-02-2004, 08:41 AM

Though, I prefer the Smooth BLue and Nosebleed designs myself...

Visit me or don't.
11-03-2004, 03:26 PM

Zachary Wrote:I believe, personally, I think this one would look good with the HD website

Not bad, a bit plain, but really hard to look at. Besides, if we're gonna do the research, might as well go all the way with it. Gon' trick this shit out, mad-style.
11-03-2004, 03:28 PM

I Wrote:Not bad, a bit plain, but really hard to look at. Besides, if we're gonna do the research, might as well go all the way with it. Gon' trick this shit out, mad-style.

...and that's how I learned the value of cookies.
11-03-2004, 04:27 PM

Idea :?: to go along with design...i propose a change of forum title from the clubhouse...to something that doesn't sound hijacked from the long winters. i love the long winters, but treehouse/clubhouse...perhaps i'm just nit picky but they sound awfully similar. why not the love shack or something?
Find all posts by this user
11-03-2004, 04:29 PM

and is that the lorax? i read about truffula trees every day for a good chunk of 6th grade.
Find all posts by this user
11-04-2004, 11:29 AM

Okay, I think I'm getting the hang of this. Here are the steps I've taken so far:

1. Download the phpBB2 software to your hard drive and unzip the file. Be sure not to get confused and unzip your pants by mistake.

2. Copy the "templates" folder to your hard drive, rename the "subSilver" subfolder to whatever you want to call it (I named mine hdanger, so name yours something else, or we'll cancel each other out). Best to keep your style name all one word.

3. Rename subSilver.cfg and subSilver.css to whatever you're going to call the theme (I would name the first one hdanger.cfg, for example).

4. Open theme_info.cfg in Notepad (or something similar), and replace all instances of "subSilver" with whatever your style name is. Then do the same for all *.tpl files in the directory. Keep in mind, you won't be changing the filenames of any of these files, just replacing "subSilver" with the name of your style. Notepad will let you do it all at once, just go to Edit >> Replace, enter "subSilver" in the "Find what" field, and type your style name in the "Replace with" field. Simple, no?

5. Have fun remaking all the graphics in the Images folder.

If I missed anything, please correct me.
11-04-2004, 11:48 AM

That sounds right. I'm gonna try it this weekend and perhaps we'll find a way to post some examples and then rich can figure out and make a poll to vote on em by. Grassroots HD!

Visit me or don't.