Anyone still here?
10-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Anyone still here?
Other than the bots, I mean.

Surprisingly, Flagpole Sitta was NOT my first Harvey Danger Song.

[Image: SMHpng_zps09a59613.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2012, 09:11 PM

Yes. Desperately wish someone, anyone, still were moderating.
11-09-2012, 07:39 PM

*Crickets*

Well I just made myself sad..

Gun don't kill babies, babies kill babies.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2012, 10:32 AM

Hi. This thread feels like a ragged cave hideout from the post-apocalyptic botwar happening outside, a waypoint for fellow-travelers stopping through for some hot chocolate before proceeding on their ways..

That's a lot of Sherman tanks!
11-11-2012, 05:27 PM

A chill gust of wind touches your inner warmth as it passes, then trickles out into your extremities as the silence creeps back into your ears.

Edit: Ahaha the old keywords are still in place. Some bot is trying to sell us jive. Can't remember what we made change into that...

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
12-09-2012, 10:18 AM
RE: Anyone still here?
We have come through (actually EAS has) and rid the land of all spambot and spam posts! Rise, rise out of your caves and back into the sunlight!
12-09-2012, 11:00 AM
RE:
(10-17-2012 09:11 PM)johnnyfootballhero Wrote:  Yes. Desperately wish someone, anyone, still were moderating.

I had been trying to moderate but it was impossible due to the sheer numbers of the spam and the controls we had. I would spend an hour deleting messages, and it wouldn't make a dent. Plus, I couldn't ban IPs or users, because they used so many. There really was nothing I could do.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
12-09-2012, 10:35 PM
it's alive!
12-09-2012, 11:53 PM
RE:
(12-09-2012 11:00 AM)TRM Wrote:  I had been trying to moderate but it was impossible due to the sheer numbers of the spam and the controls we had. I would spend an hour deleting messages, and it wouldn't make a dent. Plus, I couldn't ban IPs or users, because they used so many. There really was nothing I could do.

I appreciate the effort, as well as the reply. I know Brant was in pretty much the same boat.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
12-11-2012, 01:42 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 01:43 AM by eas.)
RE:
(12-09-2012 11:00 AM)TRM Wrote:  I had been trying to moderate but it was impossible due to the sheer numbers of the spam and the controls we had. I would spend an hour deleting messages, and it wouldn't make a dent. Plus, I couldn't ban IPs or users, because they used so many. There really was nothing I could do.

You have my sympathies. I spent a long time purging the spam and spammers with the advantage of much newer forum software, a couple of plugins and a couple trips into phpMyAdmin. If I remember right, the database was about 200MB after I migrated all the accounts and posts from phpBB, it's less than 50MB now.

The built-in tools tools for fighting forum spam are better than they were when phpBB2 came out, but the tools that ship with the forums I looked at are still basically repurposed from fighting forum trolls. I picked MyBB in large part because they have a relatively clean way to install third party plugins, and that there is a nice spam scoring plugin that uses a range of tests. I've been using something similar on my blog and it does a great job of turning a crushing flood of spam into a manageable trickle.

I think things will be easier from here on out. A few suspicious accounts are still managing to get registered a day, but so far the dozen or so spammy posts they've made have been automatically flagged and sent to the moderation queue for easy review and deletion.

Finally, non-admins should feel free to avail themselves of the new button to report suspicious posts. Might be a good time to think about recruiting another moderator too.

If things start sliding down hill, let me know. We can tweak a few settings and there are a couple of other countermeasures we can roll out.
12-11-2012, 06:58 PM
In honor of the purging of the spam I'm playing "Plague of Locusts". But now where will I buy jive?

"Carlotta Valdez is NOT a measure of time." -Sean Nelson
12-11-2012, 07:40 PM
RE:
(12-11-2012 01:42 AM)eas Wrote:  Finally, non-admins should feel free to avail themselves of the new button to report suspicious posts. Might be a good time to think about recruiting another moderator too.

I'm willing to help however I can, but I don't want to cut ahead of anyone in line either.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
12-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks you guys, I am glad the board is safe again.

Kids, a wife and mortgage? Thank heaven for HD at work on the iPod.
12-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Yay! *runs around in sunlight* and Jeff is back, too. I don't think I've encountered Jeff yet. Now I just need to see Evan and Rob and Mike and I'll have completed my online HD crew encounter list.

Surprisingly, Flagpole Sitta was NOT my first Harvey Danger Song.

[Image: SMHpng_zps09a59613.png]
12-19-2012, 05:14 PM
OMG we have quick replies now! This is the greatest day since the last shows ever.

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.