Thread Closed 
The Boring Whining and Complaining about DSS
09-24-2009, 09:46 AM
RE: The Boring Whining and Complaining about DSS
Independence/Indifference Wrote:yawn, post the fucking album already,

Furious, Harry threw his ingredients and his bag into his cauldron and dragged it up to the front of the dungeon to the empty table. Snape followed, sat down at his desk and watched Harry unload his cauldron. Determined not to look at Snape, Harry resumed the mashing of his scarab beetles, imagining each one to have Snape's face.

dogmatica, in 2006, Wrote:Please, rip on my favorite band. It makes me respect you and your interests.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-24-2009, 10:56 AM

Odd. The topic reply notifications stopped...

Johnny Sarcastic Wrote:
Homncruse Wrote:Again, the forum membership exclusivity rules seem to apply...
Homncruse Wrote:I like the idea of a "secret album" that only true fans know about...
So, you like that there's a secret album for a tight-knit community of loyal fans (sorry, I meant a community of ego-driven idol-worshipers, not fans), you're just upset that you don't get it for free because you're aware of but not actually a part of aforementioned tight-knit community?

Forum members are assumedly all (or at least, mostly) true/loyal fans, but not all true/loyal fans are forum members. Forum members are only one part of the venn diagram of the HD fanbase. In those statements, by "forum members", I of course really mean the "regulars" of the community, not just anyone with an active account.

Also, I was never really implying I wanted it for free. I would gladly pay the band members for a copy, but the opportunity to do so is not available.

Sean has posted saying he's not actually opposed to the torrenting of the album, and noted that he's surprised it hasn't been already (as I was, even moreso now given his statement), and there's effectively no physical media stock leftover. Soooo... what are we waiting for?

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
09-24-2009, 11:10 AM

I'm not uploading DSS mostly because:

-I don't know HOW

-I don't want to spread GLORY to the masses whilst depriving Harvey Danger their monies and their pleasure to do with it as they please for 'it' is theirs not mine (95%)

-You're whiny (5%)
09-24-2009, 11:19 AM

Homncruse Wrote:Soooo... what are we waiting for?
I know it seems like it's been out for forever, but really, it's only been out for about six weeks. Sean pledged to make it available; I'll go in on Phoenix's 95% on that being his prerogative, not my own.

Also, in the last 30 seconds, I learned that I've been both misspelling and mispronouncing "prerogative" my entire life. Damn.

And the other thing is... it's hard to find a way of phrasing this that comes out the way I mean it, but here's the deal, here's the thing that I've been holding back on saying about people requesting a download of the album from somebody on the forum.

Most of the people on this forum who have the album, traveled to get it. We have a few forum members each in Seattle, L.A., Chicago, et cetera, and I imagine that most of the albums sold were sold to people who are local to the show at which they were purchased, but the overlap of "People who just had to leave their house and drive ten minutes to buy the album" and "People who post here" is in the distinct minority.

And we that traveled? Almost all of us are young; I don't think any of us are rich. (There is Rich, of course, but he's a different story.) I don't want to call out names, but I know a lot of people worked their asses off--took extra shifts, delayed other purchases, struck tough deals--to make ends meet in order to come to a show. A few people didn't have to make lifestyle choices in order to make this happen, but most of us prioritized this trip in a way that financially impacted other facets of our life. I speak only for myself in saying that it was worth it, but it being worth it doesn't diminish its cost.

I know we're all in different places in our lives, that some people really could never have gotten to a show even if they put every other facet of their life on hold for it, and those people have albums too, because they were in contact throughout July and August with forum friends who could get albums for them. I've yet to hear about anybody who didn't have internet access all summer. I certainly don't begrudge anybody for not being able to come to a show; I myself was just one of several people here who have mailed out CDs and booklings in the last month.

While the purchase of the album was one of the smallest individual costs of the trip, it's the tangible souvenir, it represents what went into getting people to the show. So please, understand that when you ask a group of people to upload this album, you're asking for a stake in something that was pretty hard for us to get too. None of us with the album have any dog in the race of withholding it, but it's hard not to wrinkle my nose and mutter about entitlement when somebody requests it for free from forum members. When the band posts it, awesome. But in the meantime, forgive us collectively for not indulging the "Upload it now; I'll pay the band later" request.
09-24-2009, 11:54 AM

Scottique Wrote:
Homncruse Wrote:Soooo... what are we waiting for?
I know it seems like it's been out for forever, but really, it's only been out for about six weeks. Sean pledged to make it available; I'll go in on Phoenix's 95% on that being his prerogative, not my own.

Also, in the last 30 seconds, I learned that I've been both misspelling and mispronouncing "prerogative" my entire life. Damn.

And the other thing is... it's hard to find a way of phrasing this that comes out the way I mean it, but here's the deal, here's the thing that I've been holding back on saying about people requesting a download of the album from somebody on the forum.

Most of the people on this forum who have the album, traveled to get it. We have a few forum members each in Seattle, L.A., Chicago, et cetera, and I imagine that most of the albums sold were sold to people who are local to the show at which they were purchased, but the overlap of "People who just had to leave their house and drive ten minutes to buy the album" and "People who post here" is in the distinct minority.

And we that traveled? Almost all of us are young; I don't think any of us are rich. (There is Rich, of course, but he's a different story.) I don't want to call out names, but I know a lot of people worked their asses off--took extra shifts, delayed other purchases, struck tough deals--to make ends meet in order to come to a show. A few people didn't have to make lifestyle choices in order to make this happen, but most of us prioritized this trip in a way that financially impacted other facets of our life. I speak only for myself in saying that it was worth it, but it being worth it doesn't diminish its cost.

I know we're all in different places in our lives, that some people really could never have gotten to a show even if they put every other facet of their life on hold for it, and those people have albums too, because they were in contact throughout July and August with forum friends who could get albums for them. I've yet to hear about anybody who didn't have internet access all summer. I certainly don't begrudge anybody for not being able to come to a show; I myself was just one of several people here who have mailed out CDs and booklings in the last month.

While the purchase of the album was one of the smallest individual costs of the trip, it's the tangible souvenir, it represents what went into getting people to the show. So please, understand that when you ask a group of people to upload this album, you're asking for a stake in something that was pretty hard for us to get too. None of us with the album have any dog in the race of withholding it, but it's hard not to wrinkle my nose and mutter about entitlement when somebody requests it for free from forum members. When the band posts it, awesome. But in the meantime, forgive us collectively for not indulging the "Upload it now; I'll pay the band later" request.

Perfectly spoken.

"Fuck you board elitist."
Find all posts by this user
09-24-2009, 04:29 PM

Hell, I'd post it if every downloader promised to call their local radio station to request a tune off of it be played.

Of course, I only drove 15 minutes to get to the last show ever. I also have the bizarre distinction of being the person who purchased the last remaining copy of Little Round Mirrors EP that was on sale that night.

I'm betting someone will respond that they live in BF, Egypt and that the local radio station couldn't figure out how to play a Harvey Danger tune if the band was in the station's studio with their own equipment.
09-24-2009, 05:09 PM

Homncruse Wrote:Sean has posted saying he's not actually opposed to the torrenting of the album, and noted that he's surprised it hasn't been already (as I was, even moreso now given his statement), and there's effectively no physical media stock leftover. Soooo... what are we waiting for?

I think i might have gotten the last physical copy. And after listening to the album multiple times I can say it was worth driving 5 hrs each way.

Kids, a wife and mortgage? Thank heaven for HD at work on the iPod.
09-24-2009, 10:05 PM

Homncruse Wrote:Sean has posted saying he's not actually opposed to the torrenting of the album, and noted that he's surprised it hasn't been already (as I was, even moreso now given his statement), and there's effectively no physical media stock leftover. Soooo... what are we waiting for?
Whatever, Homocruise, I'm tired of hearing about how entitled you are to it, so just have it.

And there you go, I've created a temporal paradox. A minor one, I hope.
09-25-2009, 04:25 AM

I just wanna state that I tried my hardest to make the final show. But I fell short of being able to do so. Somehow, I missed the whole topic of the CD (I'm really amazed how, but I suppose with me visiting less and less here, I was obviously only focused on the actual show), but if I had known, I would've asked someone to pick me up a copy.

That's all besides the point. I didn't get one, and am saddened by that fact, but there's no point in complaining about it. If I get my hands on it, then that will be awesome. If I can send the guys some money either in donation or for actually purchasing the songs from them, I will. But until then, I'm not going to go begging and pleading, and whining about how the band or forum members should be doing this, or that.

Its their art, let them do what they will with it. And no one here should feel obligated to share the music, as you now "own" it, you can do with it what you will. But understand that as loyal fans, none of us want to go against the band's wishes, and Sean's statements land in a grey area, I think. Let this topic of sharing die. Eventually it will become available to all, one way or another.

Video game reviews, news and more, from real people, for real games - Classic Gamer Brain
09-25-2009, 09:16 AM

I love Harvey Danger. They make great music. It makes me happy. And other things we should be talking about. 8)

dogmatica, in 2006, Wrote:Please, rip on my favorite band. It makes me respect you and your interests.
09-25-2009, 09:25 AM

Johnny Sarcastic, thanks for posting it finally. I went to flew to Seattle and spent a lot of money I shouldn't have spent to see the last shows, and I bought a physical copy (I would have posted it myself at the first request, but I don't have internet on my home computer), so I'm not saying that because I needed a download. I say it because I think its shameful that, despite approval from a band member, so many of the people on the board seem to have this strong desire to withhold the music from other fans just because they weren't willing or able to spend hundreds of dollars to get a physical copy.

To an extent I sympathize with Scottique's post, yes the CD is a tangible souvenir of the concerts you attended, but another fan being able to listen to the music doesn't in any way diminish that.
09-25-2009, 09:39 AM

its up. awesome. and, yes, thank you johnnysarcastic for being the one to throw it on the web.

can everyone stop complaining now? jesusfuck.
09-25-2009, 09:54 AM

An Object Lesson Wrote:Johnny Sarcastic, thanks for posting it finally. I went to flew to Seattle and spent a lot of money I shouldn't have spent to see the last shows, and I bought a physical copy (I would have posted it myself at the first request, but I don't have internet on my home computer), so I'm not saying that because I needed a download. I say it because I think its shameful that, despite approval from a band member, so many of the people on the board seem to have this strong desire to withhold the music from other fans just because they weren't willing or able to spend hundreds of dollars to get a physical copy.

To an extent I sympathize with Scottique's post, yes the CD is a tangible souvenir of the concerts you attended, but another fan being able to listen to the music doesn't in any way diminish that.

I don't think it's the actual cd. :B I would really like to hear it eventually. I missed out on getting a copy because they sold out at the Brooklyn show, but I'm willing to wait for the official word on it. I do have to agree that the elitism is a little disappointing, but it's their cds to do with what they want. In the end good things come to those who wait. Big Grin
09-25-2009, 11:40 AM

An Object Lesson Wrote:I say it because I think its shameful that, despite approval from a band member, so many of the people on the board seem to have this strong desire to withhold the music from other fans just because they weren't willing or able to spend hundreds of dollars to get a physical copy.
Everyone here should be ashamed except the guy with the entitlement complex, who whined and whined until he got what he wanted for free in only ten days. He joins Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King, Jr. as an inspiration to the whole world.
09-25-2009, 08:09 PM

I'm not quite understanding all the controversy in all of this.

The band members have stated they'd make sure that whoever wanted a copy would get one. (Even if its just a rip, at least you get the music in your hands)

I was able to make it to the show and get a copy, but I don't feel I'm "holding the music above the heads of the people who couldn't get it." I could rip it and upload it, but you know why I'm not? Because HD is one of the most generous bands I've ever seen, and stated they would take care of people in your situation.

The people in the band have lives outside of this forum, and will provide something whenever ready.

Lets try not to act like this in the final days of Harvey Danger.. we fans are better than this! Keep cool my babies.
Thread Closed