Uh-oh national radio
09-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Uh-oh national radio
So I remember far back hearing about HD being on Loveline back in the day. So, I did a little digging, and I found it. The entire Loveline episode that features Sean and Aaron of HD. I haven't listened to the whole thing, but I think they come in about half-way through the episode. From what I have heard of it so far, it sounds like there is a bit of tension between the guys and Adam Corolla. Also, as I recall neither the band nor Adam enjoyed the experience...But there it is, for better or for worse.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2009, 04:50 AM

Thanks. I'll sidestep my longstanding loathing of Adam Carolla long enough to experience this.
Find all posts by this user
09-23-2009, 05:33 AM

You have just turned my morning around. I can't wait to hear. Thanks so much!

(Man, Loveline, huh? Not knowing when this was recorded, or how long Aaron and Sean have been with The Stranger, or how long Savage Love has been running--I wonder if this guest spot on Loveline was contemporaneous to working in the same office where Savage Love was being written every week.)

(Okay, now I'm listening, although they haven't shown up yet; Adam and Dr. Drew are just giving advice. This is awful. Adam and Dr. Drew give the worst, douchiest, more horrible advice ever. Listening to this makes me want to cuddle Dan Savage and feed him cookies and never let him stop giving advice ever. Savage Love isn't 100% flawless but it's worlds above this painful bullshit.)
09-23-2009, 07:21 AM

Dear TRM,

I changed my mind. You did not save my morning; you ruined it. This is the most painful douchey bullshit ever. Adam and Sean are playing nice but they sort of sound like they're trying to decide whether to kick each other's asses. The fake-friendly animosity is rising and it's making me tense.

Love you anyway,
Scottique

PS: Spit-take warning at 50:41. It's been a busy day at work, so I've been listening in few-minute chunks over the last several hours, but this continues to be The Audio File That Ruins My Day.

PPS: Okay, I finished listening. It got worse, not better. Were they high? I ask this seriously, because in the course of a commercial break, Sean went from a disapproving-of-all-this-douchiness tone to joining right in. Either Adam told him he had to leave if he wasn't gonna be a douche too, or he mellowed himself out so that he too could help dispense horrible advice to young teenagers. (Also, somewhere in there, Aaron straight-up left, and later, Jeff showed up. Both of them behaved in a non-embarrassing fashion. Evan never surfaced.)

PPS. The only part that was kinda fun was that people who knew the band kept calling--a friend of Sean's sister called, and then Aaron's cousin called. Everything else made me go, augh, I hate everybody on this show. Literally everything else Harvey Danger did in the Flagpole-Sitta-fallout period has been, on some level, either adorably funny or charmingly awkward or in some way redeeming even when it wasn't necessarily good. Maybe I'm being too uptight about listening to boys being crass douchebags, but this just sucked on every level.
09-24-2009, 06:06 AM

I'm pretty sure Sean figured out Adam's douchiness is a front. If you seriously think Adam is being serious about most of the stuff he says, you're disillusioned.

"Fuck you board elitist."
09-24-2009, 06:53 AM

Oh, no, I suffer no illusions about how serious his advice is. But you can tell that most of the callers are taking his advice in earnest, even when it's blatantly terrible advice. When a kid calls in with a yes-stupid-but-it's-a-suburban-eighth-grader-what-do-you-expect question, and Adam tells them something awful as a joke, but doesn't actually clarify to the kid that he was joking, and you hear the kid take him seriously? No, even if the advice is a joke, Adam Carolla's still an asshole.

(In this context, at least. If he does noble feats of charitable work on his off-hours to make up for this show, I don't know about it.)
09-24-2009, 07:04 AM

Here is info about a fundraiser he recently held at his home:

ShakesBEER Kegger Fundraiser
Saturday May 23, 2009 from 2:00pm - 6:00pm
Home of Adam and Lynette Carolla
Point Dume (exact location withheld until tickets purchased)
Malibu, California 90265 Get Directions
This Memorial Day Weekend, join Adam and Lynette Carolla as they host beer lovers, musicians and comedians at SF/LA's inaugural ShakesBEER Kegger fundraising event.

The Kegger is co-chaired by Adam Carolla and Jay Leno to raise awareness and funds in support of Shakespeare Festival/LA's programs.

Scheduled to perform: Adam Carolla, Jay Leno, Patton Oswalt, Jeffrey Ross and Bob Saget.

This is an outdoor event. Beverages and food included in ticket price.

$150 - $300.

I'm actually a fan of Adam Carolla, so I'm going to defend him.

09-24-2009, 07:22 AM

I was never a fan of love line, but I remember listening once an hearing Adam say he thought Harvey Danger was the worst guest they'd had. I think I already had a vague idea I didn't like him, but that certainly confirmed it.
09-24-2009, 07:53 AM

i dont like him just because hes not funny (to me). i like a funny adam carolla. i call him norm macdonald.
09-24-2009, 11:55 AM

YoungSecretAloneAgain Wrote:The Kegger is co-chaired by Adam Carolla and Jay Leno to raise awareness and funds in support of Shakespeare Festival/LA's programs.
That definitely makes up for eleven years of dangerous sex advice to impressionable teenagers.
09-24-2009, 12:37 PM

johnnyfootballhero Wrote:
YoungSecretAloneAgain Wrote:The Kegger is co-chaired by Adam Carolla and Jay Leno to raise awareness and funds in support of Shakespeare Festival/LA's programs.
That definitely makes up for eleven years of dangerous sex advice to impressionable teenagers.

Are you fucking kidding me? Dangerous sexual advice like "wear a condom" or "don't get pregnant"? I can guarantee I've listened to loveline much more than you have and I can honestly say they've never recommended anything sexually dangerous. Give me one example of dangerous sexual advice that was given on that show. Really.

09-24-2009, 12:48 PM

Have you even listened to this episode?

If you have, uh.
09-24-2009, 12:48 PM

Lest we forget "The Man Show," perpetuating stereotypes and sexism.
09-24-2009, 12:57 PM

i dont listen to loveline that often, but i just googled 'bad advice loveline' and this was one of the links that came up

http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/...000004;p=0

skimmed thru it - most people say that adam is more comic relief, thus doesnt give 'good' answers (the last post was apparently much worse than that)..
09-24-2009, 07:21 PM

johnnyfootballhero Wrote:Have you even listened to this episode?

If you have, uh.

I'm still waiting for an answer. I don't care you're talking shit about Adam Carolla. I care that you are fabricating fault where there was none. You just don't like the guy. I didn't watch the man show but what I do know is that it was a comedy show and it was pretty obvious it was overblown on purpose.