December 19, 2000 chat transcript
09-10-2009, 03:03 AM
December 19, 2000 chat transcript
I am glad December 19, 2000 is long gone. But click and enjoy.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2009, 06:00 AM

Oh lord. You know it's starting on a good note when Doritos introduces Shawn Wilson from Harvey Danger.

What a weird limbo place for the interview. King James Version has been out for less than a year, and Sean's talking about Flagpole Sitta in the past tense but also talking about future commercial success like it's on its way. Which, okay, it's an online interview with a corn chip manufacturer, which is possibly not an environment that inspires the most open of dialogs about the actual likely future of the band, especially where the band's own human interactions are concerned. Still, though. "We've had one hit, and it was pretty wonderful, but I don't care. We didn't get into music to be hit makers, so Flagpole Sitter was a surprise for everybody, and it'll be nice to have another, but everybody isn't sweating it." Wacky.

This is an interesting dialog paired with strange, leading questions:
Fay: I was reading on the press release about the main theme from the album coming from the conflict b/t faith and skepticism...do you think we all live somewhere in the middle?
Harvey Danger: I don't know; it was something I definitely had on my mind. I went through a pretty heavy year last year, because after the wild ride, we found ourselves unmoored, and we didn't know what was going on with the band or label, and that coincided with the general questioning that goes on when you enter your late 20s, and you start to look back, and your beliefs are put to the test. And rather than settling on an answer or trying to find some new system to make reality conform to some easy answer, I wound up realizing that you have to live for the question, as the Buddhists say.
Fay: Right. So is that faith in yourself, or faith in the future, or...?
Harvey Danger: I think that it's just faith. Not like George Michael, but I think faith is a principle that transcends the self, and that's what its about. It's when you can have some sort of optimism, in the face of no evidence, that there should be any optimism.
Fay: So it's really hope.
Harvey Danger: I think so, ultimately... otherwise why keep on living?

These chat-room-contributor questions are ...well, I have this mental image of Sean muttering "Uninteresting!" at the screen before dutifully typing out an answer regarding the inspiration for Flagpole Sitta.

As I keep reading, the leading questions are getting more and more blatant, and more and more irritating.

...yeah, okay. That was novel. And the page was, um, very red. I feel like a halfway-prepared interviewer could have got a really fascinating interview, given the time period, but Fay from Doritos Live! was not that interviewer.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2009, 06:08 AM

You pretty well covered why I posted this to The Clubhouse instead of to Thrilling Conversations.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
09-10-2009, 12:07 PM

Nice cameo by Cynical there. Sean's answer to his question made me think about the KJV as concept album thread. Where someone proposed the album was transition of a person from having religion, to losing faith and losing hope, to becoming content.
09-10-2009, 12:38 PM

An Object Lesson Wrote:Nice cameo by Cynical there.

Shhhhhhh....keep it quiet!

Oy, to be 17 and immature again. Curse this transcript for coming back to life! The chat was via Yahoo! chat, and for a while Yahoo! itself would archive all the special guest chats - they actually had some decent names. (Side bar: Oh, what a world where internet chat rooms were all the rage and to be full of hope that a few shares of DrKoop.com would turn us all into millionares....) I figured I'd never see this again after Yahoo! purged their archives.

You win this round JFH.

The resident board travel agent...
09-10-2009, 02:10 PM

I bet the next question on there was Tyler. Tongue

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
09-10-2009, 06:08 PM

"Harvey Danger: All the songs; we all write them together. There's one cover on our album from band from Seattle called "Busy Monsters", a really great band, and we took one of their songs and played it."

This interests me, right here, because I've never heard of this. What song?
09-10-2009, 06:09 PM

Cynical_Satan Wrote:You win this round JFH.
Can't we co-win?
09-10-2009, 06:10 PM

Seedless Wrote:This interests me, right here, because I've never heard of this. What song?

Fay screwed up. It's "Underground" by This Busy Monster.
09-10-2009, 07:40 PM

:lol:
A little Caucasian R&B duo called "Faith and Skepticism".
09-11-2009, 09:53 AM

"detroit_boy2 asks: when did you decide to do a cover of English beats 'sooner or later'?"

I laughed Tongue

Y'know summer is coming... and every summer it's important to eat a lot of fruit. 8)
09-13-2009, 05:04 AM

Oh, by the way, a quick google found the link to This Busy Monster's page at Barsuk. And although it has been posted here before in the past, here's the link to "Underground" which I only now have found out to be the original, not a cover:
http://www.barsuk.com/snd/tbm_underground.mp3
09-26-2009, 02:10 AM

The numerous "are you going to tour in X" made me despair a little. An interesting read though, I do so enjoy these little nuggets from the past.
09-30-2009, 04:58 PM

Myrrth Sicopath Wrote:I bet the next question on there was Tyler. Tongue

Not quite, this was before even my time, but not by much.

Though with how ridiculously immature I was not one year after this took place, I easily could have contributed a stomach-churning question.

Gotta get up, gotta get out, gotta get home before the morning comes.
09-30-2009, 07:21 PM

I was more referring to how silly the person's name was.

da_luvurz_dreamurz_and_me Wrote:are you guys going to tour Texas???????

:lol:

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.