Uh-oh national television.
09-14-2009, 08:46 PM

.. and why ive loved them for the past 10 years..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2009, 03:28 AM

I've been thinking on that description, "The perilous music of Harvey Danger!" I wouldn't know, but I'll bet the scene went something like this:

The taping starts in 45 minutes. The band is hunkered in the green room, waiting. A production assistant darts into the room. "Hey. We need one word to describe your music. How would you describe the music in a single word?"

There is silence. Eyes are averted. They're going on national TV with the threat of one-hit-wonderdom breathing down their necks, the threat of this hard-borne album fizzing into nothing, but Aaron is missing, and everybody else is painfully tense, perhaps even angry, with the weight of what's going down. And they'd all just met the main guest of the evening, Jerry Springer, and man, when you shake his hand, you can't let yourself think about whose hands he's shaken. Somebody finally looks at the PA and deadpans "Perilous," and it is apropos.

The production assistant jots it down and scurries off, her task complete. She assumes the band thinks "perilous" and "edgy" are synonymous. She is incorrect.

dchris Wrote:What a weird interview. I actually think Dave Holmes was one of the best VJs MTV ever had, but the band just...
well, here's a quick text preview of the interview:

Dave: So, what was it about "Save it for Later" that cried out to you, 'cover me'?
Sean: It was the one that all of us cared about the least.

This is how Harvey Danger promoted their singles on MTV in 1999.
It has arrived, and is sitting on my desk at work. It was all, "Christin, please don't rip me to YouTube," and I assured it, "Trust me, you're going to be adorable in retrospect."

Assuming other real-life factors play nice, I should be able to rip and upload tomorrow night.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-19-2009, 10:32 AM

I'm importing this right now. Oh my god what a painfully awkward/hilarious video. They keep making these deadpan jokes and Holmes straight-up cannot figure out if they're trying to be funny or just trying to be weird. It is pretty perfect. I'm leaving in the commercial for "NOW! That's what I Call Music volume 1."

I'll have this uploaded in a couple of hours. You're going to get a kick out of it.
09-19-2009, 12:05 PM

Here it is. I had to trim out some of the cultural-context stuff I wanted to leave in, like Holmes's list of Top 10 Alternative Tracks of the Week, topped by Sugar Ray, and the NOW! That's What I Call Music commercial referencing "THE TOP HITMAKERS OF THE YEAR," to trim it down to 10 minutes, but the entire interview itself is there. Enjoy!
09-19-2009, 12:09 PM

haha "least sacrilegious to put in an MTV movie..... no offense"
09-19-2009, 12:16 PM

I laughed so hard so many times... my neighbors yet again regret that we have thin walls.

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
09-19-2009, 03:43 PM

Awkward!

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
09-19-2009, 05:45 PM

Scottique Wrote:Here it is. I had to trim out some of the cultural-context stuff I wanted to leave in, like Holmes's list of Top 10 Alternative Tracks of the Week, topped by Sugar Ray, and the NOW! That's What I Call Music commercial referencing "THE TOP HITMAKERS OF THE YEAR," to trim it down to 10 minutes, but the entire interview itself is there. Enjoy!

Aw, it's unfair to say that's Holmes's list as if he hand-picked them himself. I maintain that Dave Holmes is actually awesome.

The interview is a touch less awkward than I recall from reading the transcription I did years ago. There's more laughter and less straight deadpanned sarcasm than I was thinking.

Also, I found this "recap."
09-19-2009, 09:17 PM

My sister was in some improv group with Holmes before he did that "Next MTV VJ" thing, so I met him a handful of times. He really is/was a nice guy, and was one of the best VJs MTV has ever had.

http://www.coke-babies.com
09-19-2009, 11:22 PM

Dovetail Joint. No wonder.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
04-02-2010, 09:48 AM

You know how sometimes, it's April, and there are things you haven't thought about since the previous September? And how sometimes you suddenly put two and two together, months later?

It always nagged the back of my brain, the word choice on the Craig Kilborn appearance, to describe their later-in-the-show as "The perilous music of Harvey Danger." Why did they choose perilous? Did it have to do with the band's missing member that day, or with the perilous position of the band with its label and with itself? Who decided that "perilous" would be the word--was it somebody who even knew what "perilous" meant? It was so deeply apropos, and yet on-the-surface, a very weird word choice.

Duh. The band name has the word "danger" in it. Pun 1, Overthinking 0.

("And coming up later, the shitty music of Honey Bucket!")
04-02-2010, 12:53 PM

I liked it better the old way. More hilarious irony. Which I call hilirony!

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
04-05-2010, 04:41 PM

Anybody know the air date of that first 120 Minutes appearance?
04-06-2010, 02:10 PM

Scottique Wrote:Who decided that "perilous" would be the word--was it somebody who even knew what "perilous" meant?
I'm Craig Kilborn and I know lots of words.

I was wondering what it was about "perilous" that had you so baffled months ago. It fell right in line with the smarmy, faux-intellectual thing Craig Kilborn does so well.

This is the thread where I defend my favorite television personalities that are no longer on television.
04-07-2010, 05:28 PM

Dave Holmes IS on TV. He does "DVD on TV" on FX!

Disembodied ringlets from hair that looks like Carrie Underwood's.