Different versions of "Pity & Fear"?
09-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Different versions of "Pity & Fear"?
Does anyone know if the version of "Pity & Fear" on "Dead Sea Scrolls" is the same version that was available previously as "The Ballad Of Tragic Hero (Pity & Fear)" on the Japanese version of Merrymakers?

"Carlotta Valdez is NOT a measure of time." -Sean Nelson
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2009, 04:10 PM

sounds exactly the same to me (listening to the flagpole sitta single)
Find all posts by this user
09-10-2009, 05:48 PM

Thanks!

"Carlotta Valdez is NOT a measure of time." -Sean Nelson
09-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Re: Different versions of "Pity & Fear"?
tuttle47 Wrote:Does anyone know if the version of "Pity & Fear" on "Dead Sea Scrolls" is the same version that was available previously as "The Ballad Of Tragic Hero (Pity & Fear)" on the Japanese version of Merrymakers?
There's supposedly an alternate, alternate version, but the version on Dead Sea Scrolls is the same as on Flagpole Sitta, Unreleased Recordings, and the Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone? import.
09-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Re: Different versions of "Pity & Fear"?
Was pleasantly surprised to hear KEXP (http://www.kexp.org) playing Pity & Fear on the radio.

Very nice! Everyone should request their local "decent" radio station play some Dead Sea Scrolls. Let's start a revolution!

johnnyfootballhero Wrote:
tuttle47 Wrote:Does anyone know if the version of "Pity & Fear" on "Dead Sea Scrolls" is the same version that was available previously as "The Ballad Of Tragic Hero (Pity & Fear)" on the Japanese version of Merrymakers?
There's supposedly an alternate, alternate version, but the version on Dead Sea Scrolls is the same as on Flagpole Sitta, Unreleased Recordings, and the Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone? import.
09-11-2009, 08:39 AM

For some reason I wasn't really surprised that this was the same version as the old one, but that seems to beg the question why they dropped the "Ballad of..." title and only used "Pity & Fear." Was this to mirror the emphasis on the pity and the fear of the lyric book?
09-11-2009, 11:22 AM

Every release of Pity & Fear (Flagpole single, Japanese WHATMG, DSS) is the same version. We clipped off the longer title because we've never actually called it that among the band. It was something that we came up with when it was released as a B-side for reasons I forget.
There's an unreleased version of the song with a different vocal track and lyrics that was done for a movie soundtrack, but never used. It has the same instrumental tracks, though.
09-11-2009, 11:45 AM

Oh that's cool! (Are you intentionally not telling us which movie? Because... which movie?)

(Edit to add: Found the answer elsewhere on this very board! Cruel Intentions. I wonder what the alternate lyrics were.)
09-11-2009, 11:52 AM

That should have been the theme song.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
09-11-2009, 04:03 PM

Here's hoping "You Blew Me Off" by Bare Jr. was the song to have replaced it.
09-12-2009, 08:15 AM

aw man
that could've been the one good thing about Cruel Intentions
09-14-2009, 02:17 AM

AaronH Wrote:There's an unreleased version of the song with a different vocal track and lyrics that was done for a movie soundtrack, but never used. It has the same instrumental tracks, though.
Forgot to ask: any good?
09-14-2009, 08:33 AM

Wasn't it going to be a theme song with lyrics about the plot of the movie, or am I just hilariously confused? I can't find any comments about it searching the board now. Was it really more than five years ago that I read that?
09-14-2009, 08:50 AM

dchris Wrote:Wasn't it going to be a theme song with lyrics about the plot of the movie, or am I just hilariously confused? I can't find any comments about it searching the board now. Was it really more than five years ago that I read that?

From the Sean & Jeff show, in NYC; Sean was asked to change the lyrics, to fit the plot of "Cruel Intentions", and that's when it got ugly...

[Image: bioheader.gif]
"One, two, three, four"- HDanger

Flagpole Sitta
Ballad of the Tragic Hero
Terminal Annex (4 excluded)
09-14-2009, 10:07 AM

Yeah, it was specifically tailored to the movie. It was an experiment that didn't quite work out. Not as good as the real version.