Mission Very Unlikely...
08-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Mission Very Unlikely...
To LA and Seattle goers: Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to somehow convince the band that they must play We Drew the Maps and ensure that there is a recording of it.

Disembodied ringlets from hair that looks like Carrie Underwood's.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2009, 10:02 AM

haven't heard this song...

i notice it's on the LRM single.
08-18-2009, 10:04 AM

I don't think this is going to happen. We've never played it. In fact, I'm the only one in the band who played on the recording, so it's pretty unlikely...
08-18-2009, 10:04 AM

Yes and it is quite quite good. Aaron sings it and as far as I know they have never (and probably will never) played it live. It would be an amazing treat.

Edit: Aaron sort of beat me to the punch. All I can say is "rats."

08-18-2009, 10:05 AM

i suggest someone requests 'you look so happy', as that would probably rock balls live.

edit : THAT WAS ALL YOU!?!? magnificent, sir! i was hoping it was possible until i asked at the chicago show.. :sigh:.. thats when aaron crushed my dreams.. heh.
08-18-2009, 10:06 AM

I think it's odd when bands don't play recorded songs. You cared enough to write, record, and track it and put it on a disc - but it's not good enough to try to play live.

It's like DMB, with Let You Down, or Dreams of Our Fathers. For an analogy more my speed.
08-18-2009, 10:12 AM

I think it is less odd in this case since Aaron was the only one to play and sing on the recording. I still think it would be fantastic if it were put together for a full band live performance. It is a wonderful song and I think it would be a shame to not have a live performance of it on record since almost every other song has one.

08-18-2009, 10:12 AM

while there is some disappointment to never hearing some awesome tracks live, youve still gotta appreciate the fact that its been made.. i know i declared we drew the maps my 'most favorite song that ill never hear live' -- but its still a fucking stellar track. at first listen (bought lrm single at wisconsin show last tour), i was like 'whaa!? aaron singing - a whole song, nonetheless!?!?'.. but, the lyrics are brilliant, the music is perfect, theres just not one single bad thing i could say about that song.. so, while weighing the pros and cons, the only thing on the 'cons' side is that ill never hear it live, which isnt that big a deal in the end.
08-18-2009, 10:21 AM

b_scott Wrote:I think it's odd when bands don't play recorded songs. You cared enough to write, record, and track it and put it on a disc - but it's not good enough to try to play live.

Well, sometimes songs just get old and interest in playing them naturally fades once you've moved on to other (better) things. Or they're huge, intricate studio creations that would lose some important part of their character by being stripped down and rearranged for live performance. (Making music for the studio and the stage can be very different things, which I think is appropriate.) Or sometimes they're just sketches that were recorded without a specific purpose in mind (like We Drew the Maps) and end up sitting on the shelf for a while. [Side note: the other players on that were John Roderick (bass) and Steve Migliore (drums).]
08-18-2009, 10:59 AM

Clearly, the solution is a forum fundraiser to pay John Roderick enough money to play "We Drew the Maps" and "Mainland" at the final farewell show.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
08-18-2009, 11:05 AM

i thought you were going to suggest a fan-made concert. when the smashing pumpkins broke up, there were several local (small, not too many big name) bands that played a pumpkins cover show each year.. i thought you were going to say something along those lines, but instead of actual bands, just a bunch of slightly talented people playing whatever hd songs they knew.........until hd reformed, like the pumpkins did.

:shock: :o :lol: :shock: :o :lol: .......... :roll:
08-18-2009, 11:08 AM

So, basically, Deep Grits.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
08-18-2009, 12:54 PM

johnnyfootballhero Wrote:So, basically, Deep Grits.
Truly, I really consider "Dining Car" to be more of a Deep Grits song than a Harvey Danger one at this point. Forsaken, adopted, rehomed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-19-2009, 05:33 AM

AaronH Wrote:[Side note: the other players on that were John Roderick (bass) and Steve Migliore (drums).]
What can J-Rod NOT do? Actor, musician, singer, thespian. Lesbian perhaps...
08-19-2009, 06:02 AM

What other songs have HD not played live? (besides "No Scrubs") I'd guess "Big Wide Empty". It seems I've heard them play just about every song from KJV, every song except "Woolly Muffler" from Merrymakers (though I'm sure they played that in the past), and most of the songs from LBL.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user