Dead Sea Scrolls Discussion
08-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Dead Sea Scrolls Discussion
Since I had to miss out on the live parts of this farewell I can only truly discuss this disc. I for one think the alternate version of Diminishing Returns could easily be a hit single right now. Also, I think I prefer this version of Humility on Parade. It has a more Merrymakers feel to it. More thoughts when I've listened to it some more. Interested to hear what others think.

Disembodied ringlets from hair that looks like Carrie Underwood's.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2009, 11:27 AM

big wide empty
i personally think this is harvey dangers masterpiece. upon first listen (due to eagerness of wanting to hear all the other unheard tracks), i was like 'eh. too slow, but still good' - then when i got thru the cd, i re-listened to everything. this song is just perfect, for lack of a better word. this song definitely would have fit perfectly on king james version -- especially if it appeared after 'the same as being in love' cut up, played backwards and faded in & out every few seconds.

my human interactions
always loved this song. i mean, cmon, look at my username. heh. this song always hits the right spot. i also thought that song could only be used as an opener for a cd. ive now been proved wrong.

humility on parade
superb version of this song. its the same old song - its not some crazy/different demo version. its the one we all fell in love with, its just better somehow. i, personally, prefer this song over the album version. cant put my finger on it, really. i think there might just be more power in this version.

save it for later
same version we've all been familiar with for so long. however, like flagpole sitta - though, not for the same reasons - i never give this track much listening to. but, after listening to it for the first time in a while, i couldnt tell you why - i love their cover of this song.

cold snap
i love cold snap. i love it so very very much. wasnt disappointed that this version isnt THAT much different than the album version, though its definitely 10x better than the lbl version. still though, i get chills anytime sean screams that intensely toward the end.

mainland
i love jeffs guitar playing in this one. all around great track, like every other hd song. heh. was super-excited to get a studio version after listening to the live one for god know how long. well worth the wait.

pity & fear
perhaps my favorite b-side. i never get around to hearing this much either. silly. excellent song. the first song that made me realize harvey danger are way too smart & witty to be accepted by the masses as they are by the hardcore fans.

plague of locusts
i always thought itd be funny to get 'from being to nothingness' on my tombstone. always thought this track was full-length album-worthy.

maneater
ohman. the shit sean says before actually singing - too funny. another great cover by them. they definitely made it sound 'harvey danger' - if that makes any sense.

diminishing returns
holy shit. i read the booklet for this cd before listening to it, so when i read the comment sean made about it, i was like 'eh. how heavy can it be?' -- VERY different take. i could definitely see this being a hit right now.

louisiana, 1927
yet another enjoyable cover. after listening to this, and then listening to my recording of the chicago shows, i could only wonder one thing - why the fuck do so many people go to shows to talk throughout the whole fucking thing? so annoying!

you look so happy
aww. this song makes me giddy. would have fit well on merrymakers. anytime i find myself singing along to this song, i find myself only saying 'when you base your whole identity on reaction against somebody, its the same as being in--' out of habit.. really though, i wish this song would never end.

defrocked
ahhh. ive got too much love for this song. and, like i thought 'my human interactions' could only be a first-track song, i thought this could only be an end-track. once again, proved wrong.

the worlds greatest living dancer
epic track. for some reason, i could see this in place of diminishing returns on lbl. and, anytime hd throws strings into their songs, i immediately fall in love with it. (while 90% of the lyrics wouldnt apply, im going to insist that this be the song me and my wife dance to at our wedding.. so, whoever she is, she better like harvey danger. heh)

sometimes you have to work on christmas (sometimes)
while ive always enjoyed this song, it never really did anything for me until hearing it at the end of this album. still a gorgeous song, theres no denying that.

i apologize for the lengthy 'review', but i could go on forever about any/every hd song. so, this was just a short version. bwa-ha! anyhow, im very glad they brought enough to chicago for me to get one. this compilation is a very acceptable 'last record' for them to put out. it really does show every era of harvey danger, from beginning to end. and, no matter how sad anyone may get from realizing that theyre so very close to no longer being harvey danger, theres no way to listen to this cd and not be happy at the end of it.
08-17-2009, 11:37 AM

AnExtraInSomeBackground Wrote:louisiana, 1927
yet another enjoyable cover. after listening to this, and then listening to my recording of the chicago shows, i could only wonder one thing - why the fuck do so many people go to shows to talk throughout the whole fucking thing? so annoying!

I was thinking last night as I was listening to this "Who would have thought Sean was a better Ben Folds than Ben Folds ever was?"

Also, I cannot comprehend why that Maneater cover never surfaced somewhere else. It is superb and would also most likely recieve radio play. I'm just saying.

08-17-2009, 11:40 AM

but.... it's a Randy Newman song...
08-17-2009, 11:58 AM

i'm really glad the band sequenced it like an album instead of chronologically. it flows really, really well and makes sense as a stand-alone CD. it feels like more than just an "extras" collection. it also helps that some of the songs are among HD's best.

the trio of you look so happy-defrocked-world's greatest living dancer is the best thing ever. big wide empty is a great opener and kind of horribly, devastatingly crushing. though i think that's on purpose. and in a good way.
08-17-2009, 11:59 AM

Yes. I realize that it is a Randy Newman song. But the live track of a cover that is just a piano and a voice is a very Ben Folds "thing" and sounds like it would fit right in on Naked Baby Photos. And what I'm saying is that it would be the stand out track on that album because Sean pulls that style off better than Ben does even though it's his style. Maybe that makes no sense to anyone but me. Feel free to disregard my rambling.

08-17-2009, 12:04 PM

lets just leave it at this : sean > all singers
08-17-2009, 08:38 PM

Quick question...does anyone know where I can find album art for this? I got it the other night, but I can't get my scanner to work. I kinda have OCD when it comes to my iPod/iTunes...so any help would be awesome.

http://www.last.fm/user/Echoes917
08-18-2009, 01:43 AM

1. Big Wide Empty

I tend to love songs that don't fit any album, and this definitely doesn't fit any cohesive collection of songs. It's also mind-blowing, and although I've always considered Harvey Danger mind-blowing, this is a different flavor of mind-blowing. It's brilliant, but I have a hard time comparing it to other favorites.

2. My Human Interactions

Probably my favorite Harvey Danger song from a songwriting perspective.

3. Humility on Parade (live in studio)

Spicing up an old dish with cilantro and other herbs. Zesty!

4. Save It for Later

Nice enough, but I wish it were the version with the alternate solo for variety's sake.

5. Cold Snap

Despite some great lyrics, the previously available version never really felt like Harvey Danger. This affords much more immediate gratification.

6. Mainland (demo)

This is my favorite thing ever. Well, favorite recording ever; there's no reason to weigh it against steak and unconditional love. Sean is at his most feral, and I could ride that bass line by Aaron all the way across the Atlantic and back. I love how there's not even an attempt at a rhyme scheme in the snotty second verse.

7. Pity & Fear

I took awhile to come around to this song, but I definitely did. I can't hear it without waiting for the line that the kitchen is incredibly clean.

8. Plague of Locusts

I wish this were a different edit or mix, but I like it all right. Forever overshadowed by the other two Circuit City songs. Why is it "Locusts" on the album yet "Locust" in the book?

9. Maneater

I'm amazed I like this as much as I do. Hall and Oates never meant spit to me, but boy, this is a fun cover and about as hard-rocking as anything by the band.

10. Diminishing Returns (demo)

I feel like I'm the only one who prefers the gentle version, but this is no slouch either. I'm glad it saw the light of day at last. I like how the sudden ending echoes awhile.

11. Louisiana, 1927 (live)

This is the only dud on the disc for me. I'm just not keen on the song and would prefer "Short People" or even "I Love L.A." I'm still glad they included it.

12. You Look So Happy (demo)

The only real surprise here is that a proper demo even exists. But it doesn't need another surprise to be beautiful.

13. Defrocked

This isn't quite my favorite Harvey Danger song, but it may be the best. I imagine it's incredibly difficult to sing, although Sean made it look easy in Chicago.

14. The World's Greatest Living Dancer

This is a masterpiece. I can't believe it wasn't rushed out as soon as it reached completion.

15. Sometimes You Have to Work on Christmas (Sometimes)

I love the whole thing, but what really makes it is the psychedelic ending that comes out of nowhere and goes on and on. Take off your clothes!
08-18-2009, 03:09 AM

I can not wait to get my hands on this.
08-18-2009, 06:07 AM

johnnyfootballhero Wrote:10. Diminishing Returns (demo)

I feel like I'm the only one who prefers the gentle version, but this is no slouch either. I'm glad it saw the light of day at last. I like how the sudden ending echoes awhile.

I do prefer the "gentle version." I do however feel this version is much more marketable as a single to the point of being a very marketable single.

08-18-2009, 06:13 AM

i definitely prefer the lbl version as well - i just like hearing hd demos that are way different from the actual song. in all honesty, i think the lbl version is one of the most beautiful songs ive ever heard.
08-18-2009, 07:53 AM

Anyone know what Sean says after "this poor crackers land" on Louisiana?

08-18-2009, 09:36 AM

He says "and then he got back on Air Force One"

Mainland might be my favorite Harvey Danger song now. I've always loved that live version and was sad that a properly recorded version didn't exist. I think I've listened to this song like 30 times since saturday.

It's no surprise that Diminishing Returns came from the same session. It's so awesome and full of rock power. The softer version might be my least favorite HD song, so hearing it in its original form made all the difference to me, and sort of made me understand the album version, if that makes sense.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-18-2009, 10:33 AM

The old take on Diminishing Returns is definitely the most straightforward, late-90s-sounding, alternative rock thing we ever did—pretty much by accident. Take my word for it, we've never really done anything with the intention of being marketable. (I don't think we could have if we tried. See "Save It for Later," probably the closest thing to that.) DR sounds a little dated now, but still really fun. Mike Squires' wicked guitar solo (here and on Mainland) is a good example of how we were all headed in different directions around the time of the hiatus. I love listening to it now, though.