Best Typo Ever
08-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Best Typo Ever
So, the lyrics book, as any of the 50 people who bought one this weekend may have noticed, has a couple of minor typos—an apostrophe that got turned into a glyph by the printer, that sort of thing—that come down to the fact that we (myself and dear Evan Sult, who designed the thing for me) came right down to the wire on the project, to the extent that the printer almost didn't have them ready for the Boston and Brooklyn shows, which would have been unfortunate.

However, there is one typo, right on the title page, that I love so much I am considering not correcting it on the subsequent runs we make for Chicago, LA, and Seattle. I guess what I'm asking is, to paraphrase the Clash, should it stay or should it go? The erratum in question:

"Lyrics 1994-20009"

It's kind of the best typo ever, is it not?

Discuss.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2009, 10:25 PM

As it stands, you leave open the expectation of eighteen thousand years of music and only a few dozen songs to show for it. My vote is 19994 - 20009: fifteen years' worth of music in the distant future.

The obvious numbers question: 50 sold in Boston/Brooklyn and more print runs for Chicago, Los Angeles, and Seattle totals more than 100 books. Thank goodness, and thank you. That initial projected run-count had us all uncutely anxious.
08-09-2009, 10:26 PM

i actually am in favor of it, and when someone said it was a typo, i actually figured it was just your brilliant way of saying 'two thousand nine' - truly, the best typo ever.. my vote goes for 'keep'.
Find all posts by this user
08-09-2009, 10:32 PM

I'm in favor of leaving both the same. I'm buying it either way.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
08-09-2009, 10:32 PM

I vote fix it, that way we can put them on ebay as "SUPER RARE ERROR PRINT".

Or, you know, just leave it because it's awesome due to it leaving the promise of just a few more potential years of lyrics.
08-10-2009, 04:41 AM

Print half of them with it corrected, half without.
???
Profit!
08-10-2009, 01:29 PM

My 'golden birthday', since I was born on September 4th, happened when I was four (as is custom). All my jerk friends who were born on the 20th-24th are having their golden birthdays and all I can say to them is "Well in 2889 I'll be 904 on 9/04 and YOU AREN'T INVITED".

So I absolutely hope that typo stays. So that I might enjoy the music for another 801 years. Just a small fraction of the longevity of Harvey Danger.

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
08-10-2009, 01:56 PM

Hving been born on the 1st of May I was never even aware of this "golden birthday" hooplah. Although if Aubrey De Gray has anything to say about it, I'll see my 501st birthday.

Disembodied ringlets from hair that looks like Carrie Underwood's.
08-10-2009, 02:05 PM

So judging from your comments, are the Seattle / Los Angeles copies still unprinted? If so, leave the typo in! Its hilarious.

Unless you wanted to put "booboo" stickers over it, which would make it that much funnier.
08-10-2009, 03:50 PM

my wife noticed the date thing as we were driving back from brooklyn. it's great. keep it!
08-10-2009, 05:23 PM

NeoNess Wrote:Unless you wanted to put "booboo" stickers over it, which would make it that much funnier.
HAH! Or hand-correct them, crossing out one of the zeros. Definitely the most amusing that way, if anybody has the half-hour to spare to flip through each book and do that.
08-10-2009, 05:31 PM

Instead of crossing out a zero, it would be neat if Sean and the guys struck the entire year and wrote out "two thousand nine" Tongue

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
08-11-2009, 02:32 AM

If you have this and the French LBL bonus disc...
08-16-2009, 07:59 PM

The little round characters have a way of self-replicating! The bottom of page 21 features,

"my coooler head prevails"

...in case you make another print run.
08-16-2009, 08:36 PM

That's just to emphasize how coooooool his head is.

[Image: csimiamiyeah.gif]