New Merchandise at Farewell Shows
07-28-2009, 10:58 PM
New Merchandise at Farewell Shows
Two new things, both EXTREMELY limited editions:

1. Dead Sea Scrolls, a new CD featuring 15 rare and unreleased recordings, most of which the hardy message board faithful will have heard or at least heard of, but some of which will be pleasant surprises. All are taken from the best sources we have available, and are packaged with a lovely cover designed by Aaron and liner notes written by me. There are great guest appearances, and several of the best songs we ever wrote and recorded. The fact that they didn't fit onto records is kind of the best part. Dead Sea Scrolls is the parallel universe of HD—what the band could have been (and what it secretly always was). When I say limited edition, I mean like 300, ever. They almost definitely won't be sold in stores or on iTunes (not impossible, but super unlikely). This is not a compilation that will be of interest to many people in this sad world, but it will, I promise, make you incredibly happy.

Tracklist:
Big Wide Empty
My Human Interactions
Humility on Parade (live in studio)
Save It For Later
Cold Snap (2001 demo)
Mainland (2001 demo)
Pity and Fear
Plague of Locusts
Maneater
Diminishing Returns (2001 demo)
Louisiana, 1927 (live)
You Look So Happy
Defrocked
The World's Greatest Living Dancer
Sometimes You Have to Work on Christmas (Sometimes)

2. You Be the Pity, I'll Be the Fear a slim, perfect bound book that collects the lyrics to all (or nearly all) the songs HD has recorded and released. Designed by Evan Sult and written/annotated by y.t. Limited edition of 100.

Both items compiled with love and care. Hope you like 'em.

"You can't break eggs without making an omelette.
—That's what they tell the eggs."
-Randall Jarrell
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2009, 11:04 PM

Oh sweet Jesus yes.
Find all posts by this user
07-28-2009, 11:05 PM

couldnt have said it better, jfh.

while this news is BEYOND exciting, im kinda scared that both of those will be sold out within the first few shows..
07-28-2009, 11:08 PM

We're going to make just enough to have some available at every show.

"You can't break eggs without making an omelette.
—That's what they tell the eggs."
-Randall Jarrell
07-28-2009, 11:11 PM

excellent! fear is gone. my excitement just went from a 100% to 31415926%
07-28-2009, 11:20 PM

It's official: the Seattle lip dub is of "Mainland."

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
07-28-2009, 11:43 PM

I think the biggest thing I have wanted since the last show is a studio version of You Look So Happy.

I approve.

"Hillary Clinton thinks she's SO cool."
07-29-2009, 04:36 AM

Holy shit. I won't be there but Mrryth has me covered. Seriously, it's better than I expected.

"Fuck you board elitist."
07-29-2009, 06:00 AM

Excellent!

I'm really glad that some of these tracks are seeing the light of day, especially the kicked-up version of Diminishing Returns. It's pretty thrilling to see some tracks I've never even heard of on that list, too. Thanks for posting the tracklist--we all know you just saved the board twenty pages of speculation.

And that lyrics book is going to be such a gem. I love the title you've chosen. (Does "or nearly all" mean that you've intentionally omitted Dining Car? Yes? It does? Righto.)

My only request is that you bring a few more of each to Chicago than to New England or Los Angeles. As you might have seen in the other thread, we've got a solid 15-20 board members from out of town at that show, and although a couple people are traveling for the other two, if you're talking about a total run of 100 or 300 items, an extra 20 people traveling to Chicago (and thus almost certainly in pursuit of a book and CD) makes only bringing 20 total a setup for disappointment. Naturally, I assume Seattle will have the lion's share.

(And: I've said this, but I'm a hair nervous about limits per buyer. I'm in pursuit of four of each--mine, Affe's, Agent Zero's, and innerturmoil's. Sophie's merchandise choice!)

The idea that in two weeks' time, I will have heard the 2001 demo of Cold Snap? Oh man. <3. Well played, guys.
07-29-2009, 06:28 AM

haha. i dont suppose theres any way us 'hardy message board faithful' could possibly 'reserve' our copies, to avoid those quick-to-profit ebayers..? us hardcore elite could wear spiffy nametags!

.. too much? heh. (aaaah, i dont care, im still so excited!)
07-29-2009, 06:32 AM

YAY!!!! New stuffs!

Disembodied ringlets from hair that looks like Carrie Underwood's.
07-29-2009, 07:05 AM

AHHHH!!! Amazing! I cannot wait for this.

http://www.last.fm/user/Echoes917
07-29-2009, 07:09 AM

Scottique Wrote:The idea that in two weeks' time, I will have heard the 2001 demo of Cold Snap? Oh man. <3. Well played, guys.
Between that and "You Look So Happy," I wish I could go to Boston now. That's a compliment, not a complaint.
07-29-2009, 07:09 AM

Also, a limited edition of 100 screen-printed commemorative "last tour ever" posters in two lovely colors.
07-29-2009, 07:14 AM

*signed & framed*