Kaiju Central ("Godizrraaaaaa!!")
04-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Kaiju Central ("Godizrraaaaaa!!")
Spinning out of the pages of "War Buddies," comes Kaiju Central, the long awaited thread about our favorite monsters and the movies they star in!

Anyone have a personal favorite..let's say Godzilla feature?

While I do love my Final Wars (apparently am in the minority on that one), two of my favorite Godzilla features since I was a little kid where Godzilla vs Gigan and Terror of Mechagodzilla.

The darker tones, especially ToM, really attracted and impressed me and allowed for me to accept the stories as more than just camp. These are the film that really instilled my love for both the Big G and kaiju movies.

dogmatica, in 2006, Wrote:Please, rip on my favorite band. It makes me respect you and your interests.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2009, 08:12 AM

Godzilla

Tongue

[Image: bwp4.gif]
04-04-2009, 09:48 AM

BW Wrote:Godzilla

Tongue

I said Godzilla feature. That is not one.

dogmatica, in 2006, Wrote:Please, rip on my favorite band. It makes me respect you and your interests.
04-04-2009, 02:59 PM

That's such a good movie, though.
Find all posts by this user
04-04-2009, 03:50 PM

NewGirl Wrote:That's such a good movie, though.
April Fool's was Wednesday. Tongue

04-05-2009, 02:12 PM

Nothing really comes close to "G-1954", except maybe "Godzilla Raids Again"...
For the Godzilla Movies of the 60's/70's, I'd say the top 3 were

-Godzilla vs Monster Zero (Nick Adams IS God!!!)
-Ghidorah, the 3 Headed Monster
-Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla

Which raises a good question:
Which 3rd monster, in the 2 Mecha films, was the lamest?
King Ceasar, or Titanasaurus?

For the the latter films, I loved Godzilla 1985, just because the return was so long awaited, and Godzilla, Tokyo S.O.S.

My 8 yr old, is hooked, and it's so great...
The re-releases are now dubbed with the original Japanese scripts, so "Son Of Godzilla" isn't as funny anymore...
"Girrrrrrrrrrl, you don't have to hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide"!!!

As I'm typing this, I now realized that Gamera's flame was real, which makes him so much more badass...

Ben Stein Wrote:Flagpole Sitta, is a song about Eugenics.
04-05-2009, 02:21 PM

Dai's Gamera films were a lot more voilent/graphic than Toho's monster films...

I hate the term Kaiju, it's so friggin Gen-X, like Balsamic vinegar...

Limbs getting lasered off, a missle through the head, and then torched, to set it off blowing the monster in half, chopping a rival monster into cold cuts, squid vomit, people getting beheaded, monsters impregnating other monsters...
Gamera was gangsta, way before the GTA games... Big Grin

04-05-2009, 08:27 PM

When we were kids my brother and I used to rent a Godzilla movie every week. Our favorite, and the only one I ever bought, was Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

Unfortunately, once we watched Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster the custom stopped. I still have that stupid song stuck in my head though.
04-06-2009, 06:03 AM

An Object Lesson Wrote:When we were kids my brother and I used to rent a Godzilla movie every week. Our favorite, and the only one I ever bought, was Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

Unfortunately, once we watched Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster the custom stopped. I still have that stupid song stuck in my head though.

My friend and I were talking about that last night because we couldn't remember the actual title to the movie (Godzilla vs Hedorah).

I've never really been able to give Gamera a fair shot, so I can't really say I've never liked Gamera. When I was a kid, Godzilla seemed so much cooler. But I definitely want to give the big guy a shot.

I was always pissed King Kong appeared as the evident victor in King Kong vs Godzilla, even if Godzilla was still being used as a villain at the time.

04-06-2009, 08:26 AM

I might be wrong about this, but I seem to recall that King Kong lost in the original, but they switched it for the American audience, assuming we'd want the "Home Team" to win. Poor choice if you ask me since I doubt the movie was watched by a lot of King Kong enthusiasts.
04-06-2009, 11:12 AM

There were a lot of changes made, script, and deletion/changing of scenes, in a way to dumb it down for American kids...

If you didn't see it before, Nick Adams is God

04-06-2009, 12:05 PM

An Object Lesson Wrote:I might be wrong about this, but I seem to recall that King Kong lost in the original, but they switched it for the American audience, assuming we'd want the "Home Team" to win. Poor choice if you ask me since I doubt the movie was watched by a lot of King Kong enthusiasts.

Interestingly enough, that's not true. I recently learned this only a few months back. Though changes were made to the film (as well pretty much all of those movies), it's only an extremely popular urban legend that there exists a version of the film with Godzilla as the victor.

I grew up thinking this until looking it up, wanting to know where I could get the alleged 'original' version.

I'm probably going out on a limb here, as people either love or hate this, but did anyone else absolutely adore Cloverfield?

I loved it. Everything about. The mythology created by the marketing. The way it was done. To me, it was the American equivalent to Gojira. It's one of my favorite movies.

04-06-2009, 12:59 PM

Myles Wrote:
An Object Lesson Wrote:I might be wrong about this, but I seem to recall that King Kong lost in the original, but they switched it for the American audience, assuming we'd want the "Home Team" to win. Poor choice if you ask me since I doubt the movie was watched by a lot of King Kong enthusiasts.

Interestingly enough, that's not true. I recently learned this only a few months back. Though changes were made to the film (as well pretty much all of those movies), it's only an extremely popular urban legend that there exists a version of the film with Godzilla as the victor.

I grew up thinking this until looking it up, wanting to know where I could get the alleged 'original' version.

I'm probably going out on a limb here, as people either love or hate this, but did anyone else absolutely adore Cloverfield?

I loved it. Everything about. The mythology created by the marketing. The way it was done. To me, it was the American equivalent to Gojira. It's one of my favorite movies.

1-I've seen the "Godzilla wins Japanese version" in print, in a few Godzilla books... I'll get back to you, on this...

2- LOL

04-06-2009, 01:09 PM

Inter Alia Wrote:
Myles Wrote:

1-I've seen the "Godzilla wins Japanese version" in print, in a few Godzilla books... I'll get back to you, on this...

2- LOL

1- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Kong_vs._Godzilla There's a section devoted to the dual ending myth. It wasn't a well known fact as it has been in many books that there was a dual ending

2- Awesome! I'm glad there's someone else other than my friend Bryant who loves this movie as much as I do. I even have a Slusho shirt!

I'd really like to get my hands on the manga that was made. Speaking of, that's some ol' bullshit right there. We finally get a damn solid monster flick and Japan STILL gets all the cool stuff?!

04-07-2009, 03:32 PM

[Image: baredancing2.gif]