War Buddies
03-11-2009, 12:05 AM
War Buddies
First off, hi. I'm new on the forums. I've heard HD live once, and was surprised to find a thriving online community, despite the band's lack of activity.

War Buddies must be in my top five favorite HD songs, if not my most favorite. There's a quality about it that I can't really describe in english- a sort of haunting.

I was wondering how other people interpreted this song. The theme of the lyrics to me seem to be about the disillusionment of war. What do y'all think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2009, 05:01 AM

According to a recording of Sean and Jeff's live show at the Largo, it's about being in a band.

"Fuck you board elitist."
03-11-2009, 05:45 AM

Someone once drew a pretty great comic inspired by that song...Can anyone link to that?

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Re: War Buddies
Hi there. "War Buddies" is definitely my favorite of the new songs. You ought to hear the original version with the extra lyric.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
03-11-2009, 07:59 AM

I have to say "War Buddies" ranks amongst my favorites as well.

"Here's the plan/Let every man who disagrees/Be roughly brought down to his knees/Be starved to death/And made to freeze/And sentenced to the gulag" is one of my favorite bits on Little By Little.

I think you could interpret the song a number of different ways. Not just the literal "war" image.

Also, welcome to the board. I'm Myles.

You may have heard of Myles Griffin and His Flapjack Troubadours?

dogmatica, in 2006, Wrote:Please, rip on my favorite band. It makes me respect you and your interests.
03-11-2009, 08:08 AM

Nice try, Myles, but no one's gonna believe Myles Griffin posts here. He's probably in some fancy green room dictating his band rider.

But there's no later
Is there?
03-11-2009, 08:35 AM

I think musically and thematic War Buddies is one of my least favorite songs on LBL actually. I agree though that it does have a lot of those great trademark Sean Nelson lines with punctuating meter and great allitteration and assonance. My favorite on LBL is probably What You Live By, or Diminishing Returns, or Wine Women and Song, or Happiness Writes White, or Little Round Mirrors, or Moral Centralia. I find it interesting that it seems like everyone likes Harvey Danger for different elements of their songs. JFH and I seem to have no overlap in musical tastes including which Harvey Danger songs we like; all my favorites are his least favorites and vice-versa. I think it speaks to the talent and versatility of the band.

Disembodied ringlets from hair that looks like Carrie Underwood's.
03-11-2009, 08:46 AM

"War Buddies" was far and away my favorite from LBL... and ranks as one of my all-time favorite HD songs. Someday I'd like to have occasion to tell someone I'd be the atheist in their foxhole any time. And, unlike Affe, I just end up copying whatever Johnny likes.
03-11-2009, 10:25 AM

"war buddies" is a masterpiece. end of.
03-11-2009, 10:31 AM

johnnyfootballhero Wrote:Nice try, Myles, but no one's gonna believe Myles Griffin posts here. He's probably in some fancy green room dictating his band rider.

*looks down* It was worth a try. :cry:

Caff, seriously though, Welcome aboard!

dogmatica, in 2006, Wrote:Please, rip on my favorite band. It makes me respect you and your interests.
03-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Re: War Buddies
Thanks.
Here's the comic.
I think the band interpretation makes the most sense to me now...
03-11-2009, 12:13 PM

War Buddies is my favorite song on LBL and is in my top 5 fave HD songs. And Sean said it all, it's a motherfucking masterpiece.

"Fuck you board elitist."
03-11-2009, 02:36 PM

Plumpy said so, too, which proves it.

But there's no later
Is there?
03-11-2009, 03:06 PM

The coda/outro makes it. For realz.
03-11-2009, 10:55 PM

junker Wrote:The coda/outro makes it. For realz.
yeah the outro is definitely the part that gives it such a great musical after-taste, and what kept the song echoing in my head for so long.