Poll: What kind of listener are you?
Full Album
Single Track
[Show Results]

Death of the album?
05-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Death of the album?
It was mentioned in a review I was reading earlier and it's something I've been thinking about recently as I've started listening to more vinyl. It seems like this day and age with downloadable tracks and iPods and the like that album compilation has become somewhat of a mute point. I for one love listening to full albums, but am subject to the tendency to loop one track over and over. I think this started with the CD when it became so easy to skip tracks(much harder with vinyl and near impossible with a cassette). I think for me though one of the things that makes me loyal to specific artists is their ability to arrange tracks on their albums. Carlotta Valdes is much stronger to me as the opening track to a whole album than it is as a single song I like(the placements of Carlotta and Radio Silence are parts of the reason why WHATMG is one of my all-time favorite albums). I guess I just wanted to see people's opinions on this. Also to see if there is a difference between those who grew up with the different listening formats.

Disembodied ringlets from hair that looks like Carrie Underwood's.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2008, 05:13 PM

Unless there's a song on an album that I grow to genuinely despise, I much prefer to listen to the entire thing if time permits. I have my favorite songs, which I will listen to as stand-alones, but I love the whole unit rather than its individual pieces, because by itself you don't get the sense of personality of the artists.

This is why I'm glad Rock Band has started to include full albums, because that's the only way I want to be exposed to the music; buying their track packs undercuts the bodies of work they came from. Judas Priest FTW!

I am aware of the growing problem with single-track or Top 40 downloads in relation to the artists concerned. But hopefully there will still be room for people like me, and hopefully artists won't turn to the path of the Pop Single, leaving filler for the rest of an album with two or three very polished radio hits.

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
Find all posts by this user
05-10-2008, 09:21 PM

I listen to albums. Occasionally I'll listen to a single song, but it's more likely that I will listen to an entire album to get to that point. When I do listen to a single song, it's generally in the hopes that I will find one which is indicative of an entire album so I can go pick up that new album and add that to my repertoire.

Anyway, the hit single is usually not my favorite off an album.

"Hillary Clinton thinks she's SO cool."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2008, 09:51 PM

I usually look for 3 or more tracks before buying an album,
however, I bought WHATMG for ONE SONG...

Ben Stein Wrote:Flagpole Sitta, is a song about Eugenics.
05-11-2008, 08:18 AM

Oh, also: I've only ever used iTunes (the store) to buy two individual songs, and those were B-sides. I did buy an album once, but that was only so I could have that album in time for a concert.

"Hillary Clinton thinks she's SO cool."
05-11-2008, 11:59 AM

Very rarely will my last.fm page show anything but full albums at a time. I'll download a free song or two if available, but I won't ever buy downloads when I can purchase a physical copy.
05-11-2008, 08:32 PM

I use iTunes to buy single tracks. Usually, though, it's a single song from a soundtrack, or the song on which a TV show's theme is based, or something to that effect--something where I'm interested in the mental association with the song, not necessarily the band itself. (For example: my last two iTunes purchases, a live version of Rockapella doing "Where In the World is Carmen Sandiego" and the Pet Shop Boys doing "Opportunities," are both TV themes.)

I listen to entire albums until I get to my favorite song on that album, and then I get bad about skipping. Take the Bound Stems album as example, because I'm particularly bad about that one--my two favorite songs on it are "Excellent News, Colonel" and "Refuse the Refuse," so my track order usually goes: