Solve My Problem, and a Treasure Awaits Ye...
05-06-2008, 10:56 PM

What, specifically, is your ancient computer?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2008, 08:45 PM

A very very very large abacus somehow running windows 98
Find all posts by this user
05-07-2008, 10:05 PM

Either an abacus or a TI-83.
05-10-2008, 03:35 PM

A Toshiba Laptop maybe 8 or 9 years old.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
05-10-2008, 06:03 PM

It's a laptop? That would have been nice to know before! If you've got another laptop that's more modern, get yourself a cheap flash memory card for your PCMCIA slot (I'm certain your laptop has one)
Here are some (not all of these are memory cards so look before you buy if you do this)
http://computers.search.ebay.com/pcmcia-...QQsbrbinZt
05-18-2008, 01:14 AM

if you're willing, and this problem hasn't been solved yet...

You can download a version of Linux that is small and should run easily on any old computer. Since its a lappy, I assume it has a USB port, and the drivers should be provided with Linux to get the USB up and running, so you can easily plug in a USB drive, copy, paste, and transfer... The best thing about this suggestion is that there is no installing needed. You simply burn the CD, insert into your laptop, reset and let it load. Download here:

ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/scientific-...-02-15.iso

If you try, and have any difficulties, just pm me, or im me on AIM (franky1029), and I should be able to guide you.

Video game reviews, news and more, from real people, for real games - Classic Gamer Brain
05-19-2008, 01:38 AM

franky1029 Wrote:if you're willing, and this problem hasn't been solved yet...

You can download a version of Linux that is small and should run easily on any old computer. Since its a lappy, I assume it has a USB port, and the drivers should be provided with Linux to get the USB up and running, so you can easily plug in a USB drive, copy, paste, and transfer... The best thing about this suggestion is that there is no installing needed. You simply burn the CD, insert into your laptop, reset and let it load. Download here:

ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/scientific-...-02-15.iso

If you try, and have any difficulties, just pm me, or im me on AIM (franky1029), and I should be able to guide you.

If he had a USB port, why not simply copy files onto a USB thumb drive?? :?
05-19-2008, 02:17 AM

I had a similar problem with an old laptop, windows 98 just would not recognize the usb hardware. I was giving it to a friend, since I had a new laptop, and I wanted everything I needed off of it, so I decided to try linux to see if it would work, and it did. TRM said he didn't have drivers, so I just kinda assumed he had a USB port, but it wasn't working. Either way though, your suggestion would be much easier, I just didn't catch it the first time I read through this...

Video game reviews, news and more, from real people, for real games - Classic Gamer Brain
05-19-2008, 07:08 AM

i can vouch for linux boot discs working as well.
i'm a big fan of knoppix. especially since it saved my thesis.
knoppix.org
05-19-2008, 01:33 PM

franky1029 Wrote:I had a similar problem with an old laptop, windows 98 just would not recognize the usb hardware.
Since USB was still new when Windows 98 was made most drivers for flash drives etc weren't included, usually those drivers are found on the CD that accompanies the USB device when you buy it
03-26-2009, 06:46 PM

Guess what? The guy at indiepoplive just put it back online for (i'm assuming) a limited time! Download it at http://www.indiepoplive.net

Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
03-26-2009, 07:57 PM

I've just started listening right now. What a great show so far! They were obviously having six tons of fun. This is the most spirited rendition of Woolly Muffler I've ever heard, and the punch on "Eight miles high and three hours to landing--God, your hair smells really great!" cracked me up.

Oh god, I just hit the bridge. I have no idea what Sean is singing, but I'm pretty sure the album-version bridge of Private Helicopter doesn't include the phrase "sex offender." We have new lyrics to figure out. Sort of.

Also: At 1:58 on Private Helicopter, the guitar goes distinctly Carjack Fever. I never put together the link between those two riffs until this moment, but they're definitely cut from the same cloth.

Sean: "I actually just broke Jeff's guitar. Umm, let's see--"
Jeff: "I thought you were going to hurt me."

More improvised/alternate lyrics in Problems and Bigger Ones. Doing Jack the Lion and Problems and Bigger Ones back-to-back at an outdoor springtime showcase was a pretty heavy choice.

Carlotta Valdez gets punched into the sky by Jeff, Aaron and Evan. Apparently they inspired crowd-surfing.

There is absolutely no "Oh Christ, now we're gonna play that song you expect" before Flagpole Sitta. Sean teases the forced "into the mirror/little bit clearOR" rhyme, and doesn't hiss the "stupid people are breeding" line as he'd come to do in every I'm-over-this-song performance later on. There's no palpable meta-tension (no agony or irony, natch) from in the musicianship--it's just a fun, fast song that nobody on the stage hates. You can hear that.

All of which is to say: anybody who doesn't download and listen to this is an idiot who is missing out. :-D

Thanks so much for digging this up!
03-26-2009, 08:38 PM

Scottique Wrote:Doing Jack the Lion and Problems and Bigger Ones back-to-back at an outdoor springtime showcase was a pretty heavy choice.

I believe the concert was indoors at the record store Cellophane Square...

Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
03-26-2009, 09:02 PM

Heh, fair enough. I saw "Square" and heard what sounded like afternoon-crowd chatter, as opposed to night-crowd chatter, and assumed outdoors. It's still a pretty weighty pairing. :-)
03-26-2009, 09:08 PM

Whoa. I just noticed the addition of "Once I dated an actor who was working on a play/ by opening night there was nothing left to say" to the lyrics in Problems and Bigger Ones, almost 10 years before the release of LBL...

Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!