Hollywood Hopeful
04-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Hollywood Hopeful
(Did you know that the original version of that song was awful, before Sean made it beautiful?)

So, here's the story. Y'know that show, Beauty and the Geek? Well, my friend Peter and I are going to be on it; we won a contest wherein he'll get a "geek to chic" makeover that they'll broadcast during the season finale of Beauty and the Geek in a few weeks. We don't know yet if I'll be on the show too.

The question is this: We're being flown to Hollywood on Friday morning, but don't film until Saturday. What awesome things are there to do, daytime, in Hollywood? Peter hates "touristy" stuff, has a kind of Tourette's reaction against them, so we're looking for stuff that's more off-the-beaten-path. I ask you guys because I trust your opinion where matters of pop culture attractions are concerned. Does anybody have any suggestions? We're totally open to anything.

(We already tried getting tickets to filmings of things. Most things don't film on Fridays.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2008, 07:31 AM

I've got nothing. I don't know Hollywood well enough. If you can't find anything non-touristy though you could always go to the tourist places and make a big deal out of mundane things. Stand on a really famous star on the walk of fame while taking a picture of a particularly beautiful tree. Maybe even stop other tourists to comment on the beauty of nature. Could be fun. If you like screwing around with people. I've got to believe that xkcd (since you are a fan) has to have some really great idea to create fun at tourist attractions, even though no comics come specifically to mind.

Disembodied ringlets from hair that looks like Carrie Underwood's.
Find all posts by this user
04-23-2008, 04:13 PM

Having lived out there for a short time,
the tar pits aren't all that "tourist-y" and there's a bitchin'
place called Griffith Park that shouldn't be that far away...
It has the coolest art-deco observatory at the top of this
wickedly winding road...
(It was in "The Rocketeer")

Here

Ben Stein Wrote:Flagpole Sitta, is a song about Eugenics.
04-23-2008, 06:10 PM

Second living out there (you too, Rich?) and second the Griffith Park observatory. Can you still walk to touch the Hollywood sign? I have a feeling a lot has changed since the late 80's...and that may be a no-no now.

The resident board travel agent...
04-25-2008, 03:22 PM

The Griffith Park Observatory is sweet, as anything at the Hollywood Bowl. Totally the emo-goth, but the Hollywood Forever cementary and ah, I know Paramount Studios offer tours and stuff (non-theme park) and, umm, Union Station? We do have our wide variety of Chinatown, Japantown and other stuff if you're interested (The Toy District is right next to Skid Row!)

Places to eat include Pink's Hot Dogs, Tony's Burgers, In-N-Out, and Del Taco.

[Image: bwp4.gif]
04-25-2008, 03:40 PM

To add a bit of HD "flavor" to your tour:

Terminal Annex Post Office. Northeast corner of Macy and Alameda Streets

[Image: postoffice1a.jpg]

04-25-2008, 05:38 PM

Eat avocado. Drink tequila.

"Hillary Clinton thinks she's SO cool."
04-26-2008, 03:21 AM

I went to the Church of Scientology and took their brain tests. Then spent some time arguing with them in a really irritatingly calm and collected way about everything, while constantly asking to see the validity and reliability data for their tests. Sure, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I had fun.

Oh yeah, and we found David Hasslehoff's star, and followed an awesome tramp around the walk of fame. That was our touristy bits.

Love Potato
04-26-2008, 03:37 AM

I disagree about the original of Hollywood Hopeful. However you look at it, Loudon wrote some fucking good words.
04-26-2008, 05:56 PM

If I ever go back to Cali...Cali:
I wanna find Godzilla's star...

04-28-2008, 02:56 PM

Agent Zero Wrote:I disagree about the original of Hollywood Hopeful. However you look at it, Loudon wrote some fucking good words.

Yeah, but he wrote them without a trace of irony. That's kind of scary. No man should write the line "I am a full-fledged grown-up adult" without a little bit of tongue-in-cheek.

"Hillary Clinton thinks she's SO cool."
04-28-2008, 03:22 PM

the doctor Wrote:
Agent Zero Wrote:I disagree about the original of Hollywood Hopeful. However you look at it, Loudon wrote some fucking good words.

Yeah, but he wrote them without a trace of irony. That's kind of scary. No man should write the line "I am a full-fledged grown-up adult" without a little bit of tongue-in-cheek.

Has he said that somewhere or are you basing it on his intonation and delivery or something? If true, that is VERY scary.

The Swimming Song is still awesome.