Favorites?
03-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Favorites?
I know I already said my favorite set was the KJV set, but on the chance that people may disagree I thought I'd try to spark some discussion on the subject. Also, after having seen it live twice now I have to say my favorite HD song to be performed live is Carjack Fever. My favorite in-show experience was hearing a song that most of us didn't even know existed. My favorite non-show experience of the trip was filming the Dining Car video. Alex can really rock out to rare HD tracks in the back of a car and seeing 8(?) people all piled in the back of a small car rocking out screaming "IRONIC KILLJOY!" will forever be etched into my memory. Favorite new saying from the trip is "This party is ALL on the carpet!" Please, weigh in folks.

Disembodied ringlets from hair that looks like Carrie Underwood's.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Re: Favorites?
Overall, King James Version. Off it, "You Miss the Point Completely I Get the Point Exactly," "(This Is) the Thrilling Conversation You've Been Waiting for," and "Underground." I remember when "(Theme from) Carjack Fever" was my least favorite. It is a faraway time.

"You Look So Happy" was the best single song, by which I mean song performance. "My Human Interactions" still made me emo for a moment, though.

My two favorite things, I think, were the "Dining Car" video shoot and the walk to The Hurricane Grill, old and young, West Coast and East Coast. That may have been the happiest procession I have ever been part of, with not a bad apple in the bunch. I'll shut up since I don't do mushy.
03-10-2008, 12:49 PM

"Incommunicado," doubly so because this time I knew who Rachel Bowman was independently of her work with Harvey and the Dangers (it was one of those moments).

Other highlights included getting my parking ticket signed by Sean Nelson and Evan Mosher; walking on the cool side of the street; filming Dining Car; getting Dining Car signed and annotated; going broke (not to be confused with going FOR broke); mooching donut halves; talking about forming a singularity with Cynical Satan and thus creating an unstoppable force, which would destroy the universe instantly as Harvey Danger is already the impenetrable wall (of awesome, presumably)... I could probably go on for a long while as the byzantine conduits in my fascinating brain continue to recall things.

Thank you all for existing.

"Hillary Clinton thinks she's SO cool."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Little by Little... might have been my favorite set, even thought it's far from my favorite album because while I have heard most of those songs, they were all prety new (or at least new arrangements of old songs) so it was awesome to see them played with more familiarity.

Songwise:
"Wooly Muffler" because it was the song that made me gleefully realize that, yes. Every song is getting equal, wonderful treatment. And it's a personal favorite of mine. (Oh, and the HD Song Guide Bible confirms that I missed an entire level of understanding in my interpretation of that song.)

"Defrocked" was damn good.

"You Look So Happy" partially because I know it was included for people like us, and partially because it was a great song.

"Carjack Fever" because CJ is always my favorite, but mostly because all that mad keyboard and yelling lend themselves to performance so well. (Confession: The performance of this at Sasquatch might have been my favorite Ever, with Sean forced to do both the mad keyboarding and yelling at the same time.)

Non-show:
Girl Room <3

Shooting that video was fun, but debating the lyrics in Top Pot might have been more fun.
03-10-2008, 01:18 PM

Being my 1st and only HD experience I was totally blown away, but particularly:

Merrymakers. Wow. KJV has been my favorite album forever, but what Sean said about how it's interesting to think back on how true those songs and the feelings they were based on were 10 years ago and how things change/stay the same... somehow I felt the most raw emotion in each and every song and start to finish I just felt really connected.

"Defrocked" was a dream come true.
"Underground" would probably be my biggest upset (as in, I expected it to be OK and it was incredible).
"Radio Silence" "Loyalty Bldg." "Same As Being in Love" with the extended outro were all awesome. And hearing Sean belt out "love" on "You Look So Happy" was like reading the last page of the last chapter of your favorite book.
03-10-2008, 01:51 PM

As another who can count these two shows as the my only exposure to live HD, I definitely have to say that KJV was my favorite set with Defrocked making my favorite performance, just because seeing it live made my life. Like, seriously.
03-10-2008, 02:20 PM

junker Wrote:And hearing Sean belt out "love" on "You Look So Happy" was like reading the last page of the last chapter of your favorite book.
Indeed. I've been waiting seven years for him to finish that sentence.
03-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Affe Wrote:I Favorite new saying from the trip is "This party is ALL on the carpet!" Please, weigh in folks.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. That is my new favorite saying!
03-10-2008, 05:13 PM

If we're going to go favorite of ANYTHING live, I refer you all to the rendition of Thrilling Conversations from the reunion show.

Now from this show....

First, some setup, Remarkable and his audio recording equipment was directly behind our table for the first show.....Also, several times during the night Sean had been lauding the performance program for the low low price of $5.

I'll counter everyone and go with Pity & Fear. It's always been a favorite B-side, and this would count as only the second time hearing it live....so, pretty special right there. But what made the song was Sean going into the crowd, kitchen, and merch table while singing. When he asked "So, how many programs have we sold?" to those working the table I busted out this huge laugh......which I would be shocked didn't make it onto the recording. So when the recordings get posted, I'm that guy with the weird laugh!

That whole first night was great. I recall looking at my watch and realizing Merrymakers had gone by very fast, and yet I felt like I wasn't being cheated out of anything, and that those 40 min or so were just so powerful. I think having not listened to each album straight through in a long time added to the performance.

Other highlights:
-Finally deciding on a place to go after Thursday's show
-The walk to the Hurricane
-Being CRUSHED in the back of the doctor's car during Dining Car
-Capitol Hill & the Cap Hill bookstore!

The resident board travel agent...
03-10-2008, 05:22 PM

Cynical_Satan Wrote:So when the recordings get posted, I'm that guy with the weird laugh!
I can tell a Baltimore laugh anywhere.

Cynical_Satan Wrote:-Being CRUSHED in the back of the doctor's car during Dining Car
Or simply, in the back of the Dining Car!
03-10-2008, 05:40 PM

I do have to say that when they did Why I'm Lonely, I almost got up and started waving around a lighter. Just kick A man.

Also, Underground was amazing.

Album of all... Little by Little for me, because I didn't listen to that album(or none of the other ones in fact) for a long time. Mainly, so the concert and its music would be a fresh experience.

Fell in love with HD all over again.

Oh, this is Jean btw. UncleGrandfather's awesome friend.
03-10-2008, 05:43 PM

With a "J," no less! Welcome aboard.
03-10-2008, 06:10 PM

Night 1: Merrymakers 1-10. Yes, I'd heard it before at New Years, but that's in my 2-3 favorite cd's and hearing it live straight through is amazing. Close second: Pity & Fear, my favorite b-side.

Night 2: Probably Carjack. Maybe Loyalty Building. Something on KJV, methinks.

Non-musical favorite moments:
-Beth's.
-Pool on Thursday night. It took us awhile to figure out where we were going, but 'twas worth it in the end.
-The brief Fremont foray on Friday (yay alliteration!). Wish it woulda been longer, but a short trip's better than nothing.
-Mixing our own drinks at the table Friday :)
-Jenga.
03-10-2008, 09:27 PM

Alex can rock out to anything, any time, anywhere, actually, LOL. I wish I got paid to rock out. I should do a tv show or something where I go random places and start rocking out and knocking shit over and making a spectacle. No one would watch it, but damned if I wouldn't have fun.

Anyway, favorite moments...seeing Carjack fucking Fever, chair or no fucking chair. All of KJV, really. After that set was over, I felt like I'd just had the best sex in my life and Little by Little was kind of like cuddling and basking in the afterglow.

I'm not creepy, I swear.

Other favorite moments, um. Sean signing my program "YOU ARE MY FAVORITE," Sean breaking yet another mic stand, anything involving Dining Car (which has been stuck in my head since Friday), getting to meet as much of "everyone" as I could.

Or how about being one of the few fortunate people in the world that got to see his favorite band play essentially every song they've ever written live?? Yeah, I think that's my favorite part, LOL
03-10-2008, 09:56 PM

existential cowgirl Wrote:-The brief Fremont foray on Friday (yay alliteration!). Wish it woulda been longer, but a short trip's better than nothing.

Damn right. That jukebox at Dad Watsons is seriously the best jukebox in the history of ever.