Dining Car
03-04-2008, 08:57 PM

What do Harvey Danger, Richard Nixon, "Spygate", and NFL Commissioner, Roger Goodell, all have in common???

AaronH Wrote:all recorded evidence has been destroyed.

Ben Stein Wrote:Flagpole Sitta, is a song about Eugenics.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2008, 12:12 AM

Though I am embarrassed to say I hadn't before, I just listened to Dining Car for the first time.
It really is terrible.
It's like one of those things you do that no one ever forgets about.
Like when you pee your pants on assembly at school or something.
Hypothetically.
03-05-2008, 04:53 AM

See, there's the thing with transcribing lyrics. iTunes has the other demo tape songs at 6 or 7 listens apiece, and Dining Car is in the 30s. Dining Car definitely went through a transformation in those 30 plays. The first several plays were, "Alright, demo song, interesting historically but not stand-out in execution." The next few were, "Damn, this really is not a good song. And the lyrics are totally impossible. It'd be funny to transcribe it." But during the dozen transcription listens, it went from "Augh this song is so wretched why can't Sean speak up so this can be out of my life" to "Hey, I'm growing fond of this song, what the fuck?" to "Whoa, I really like this song now. I really like this song! What's wrong with me!"

Give it another twenty goes, and you'll learn to love it too. ;-)
03-05-2008, 03:27 PM

nickpippin Wrote:Though I am embarrassed to say I hadn't before, I just listened to Dining Car for the first time.
It really is terrible.
You listened to the Vocal Mix. It is sort of terrible.

The reconstituted Album Version in context is sort of awesome.
Find all posts by this user
03-05-2008, 07:42 PM

...sorry? Qu'est-ce que c'est? Two versions?

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
03-05-2008, 07:57 PM

And that's not counting the Ibiza '95 Dance Mixes.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
03-06-2008, 08:04 AM

I must clarify...the mp3 version from Hardly Dangerous is different from the version that was recorded off the actual Demo Tape...
03-08-2008, 01:58 AM

So, um.

We did it. This lip-dub? Exists now. I'm pretty sure it's fabulous. The CollegeHumor.com kids have nothing on us. It's shot entirely in the backseat of the doctor's car, for those of you playing at home, and features eight-or-so of your board's finest.

The doctor has the lyrics that Sean corrected a couple hours ago. Guys? We didn't even have the chorus correct. OH WELL. (The party's still all on the carpet, though, and Sean has no special authority on that.)
03-08-2008, 02:19 AM

I would like to go on record that I am opposed to the idea of knowing the correct lyrics to this. I feel that it will ruin the magical idea of a razzed inflection and kitten framework and parties all on the carpet. It isn't allowed to make sense. I forbid it. I welcome the idea of knowing what, exactly, we got wrong, of course, that we may further propagate our lies (and slander?).

That said, it was pretty much amazing, and I do believe you will get to watch me gaze thoughtfully into the distance while wearing aviator sunglasses (which is why you all wanted to see this, right?).

"Hillary Clinton thinks she's SO cool."
03-08-2008, 02:32 AM

The only cooler life experience I have had than making a video about turning the color red is immediately thereafter hearing King James Version from start to finish. Life experience confined to the past year, give or take a week. See dealer for details.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
03-08-2008, 11:28 AM

The lipdub madness? Fun to do. Kind of hysterical to do. Will it be as fun to watch? Not sure.
03-09-2008, 10:30 AM

the doctor Wrote:I would like to go on record that I am opposed to the idea of knowing the correct lyrics to this. . . I welcome the idea of knowing what, exactly, we got wrong, of course.
That's fair. That said, since you're the one who pocketed the hand-corrected/annotated lyrics, possibly the best souvenir any of us got the entire weekend, you are still very much obligated to scan the sheet and post it here. I'm having another wholehearted go at this once I get home, even if the first two verses only got the note "ALL WRONG." ;-)

("If I were a boxer, I'd know how to spar
The oil on the carpet sells the car.")

dchris Wrote:The lipdub madness? Fun to do. Kind of hysterical to do. Will it be as fun to watch? Not sure.
I kinda got the same impression from watching the tape, especially taken out of our context and put in the context of somebody who wasn't there. I'll find a way to punch it up.
03-09-2008, 11:03 AM

Sorry to double-post, but this is just too good. Emphasis and annotations mine.

Some workgeek site Wrote:Incarnadine is one of my all-time favorite words, based chiefly on this remarkable passage from Shakespeare, wherein Macbeth ruminates on his murder of Duncan:

Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood
Clean from my hand? No; this my hand will rather
The multitudinous seas incarnadine,
Making the green one red.
--Macbeth, II.ii

This is the first use of incarnadine as a verb1, meaning 'to make red'. (And in a bonus to bardolators, it's also the first use of multitudinous, a remarkable twofer in one line of poetry.)

As an adjective, incarnadine is slightly older. Its original sense, and its etymological sense, is 'flesh-colored'--the word is related to incarnate 'given a bodily form', and the root, carn- 'flesh', is found in many English words, including carnal, carnivore, and carnation. However, by influence of Shakespeare, it is now usually used in the sense 'blood-red; crimson'.

You are right that incarnadine is not a terribly common word, and that's chiefly because English already has words such as red or crimson to express similar color concepts. Incarnadine is a more poetic, rarer, and harder variant; even Shakespeare had to translate it, in effect, in the next line ("Making the green one red"--note that there is some disagreement over the parsing of even this line; "one" may not refer to "ocean," but may mean 'entirely').

Still, the word is found in the works of various Good Writers: "You'll...calmly wash those hands incarnadine" (Byron, Marino Faliero); "Repose had again incarnadined her cheeks" (Hardy, Far from the Madding Crowd2); "'Wine! Wine! Wine!/Red wine!'--the Nightingale cries to the Rose/That yellow cheek of hers to incarnadine" (FitzGerald; "The Rubayiat of Omar Khayyam"). Nabokov also was a fan of the word; he uses it in Lolita and other works. If you write in this manner, by all means, use the word.

1. Apropos, since Sean does the same to the word "library" later in the song.
2. Meta, in this case, does make it betta.
03-09-2008, 05:48 PM

I decided I would forever after refer to this song as "Out, Damned Spot" instead of "Dining Car."

Then I got sad it would be awhile before I am again walking down the street with twenty people all looking for excuses to shout "IRONIC KILLJOY" every couple of blocks.
03-09-2008, 06:02 PM

Not being able to shout ironic killjoy is something of an ironic killjoy, really.

"Hillary Clinton thinks she's SO cool."