Cynical Saint-Demo Tape Winner
09-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Cynical Saint-Demo Tape Winner
Since he couldn't post himself, he e-mailed me, and I told him I'd post for him:

Poison Tongue,

Right, so I had a big long-winded thing about music rights and asking the band's blessing and such, but after reading Sean's post I almost feel a bit kicked in the sack (thereby confirming I am a man).

I realise I spent a stupid amount of money.
More than I could afford, on my favourite band's demo tape, because I am obviously an idiot and am thought so by the majority of people on the board. Fine.

I was going to perhaps politely ask for donations or some crap to help defray some of my own stupid cost
(especially when you consider there were other people on here willing to pay upward of $250 and likely feeling as silly about it as I was and am),
and then it occurs to me that it is technically the band's intellectual property, even if it is an obscure demo tape - so I can't go selling it.
They haven't exactly made the tracks available, and probably because they didn't want to, so I wouldn't just up and distribute them for THAT reason, either.
But, if I had their blessing, I would certainly forward some of the 'profit' from the donation to the band, because it's their work, and I believe in compensating artists
(which is why I own all of their releases, including vinyls and the CCEP and the Christmas EP and this is a run-on sentence).
Basically, I feel like an idiot for spending so much money even though it's personally worth it to me
(or it was before I became the ridiculous Mr. $380),
and I would feel stupider distributing it for free so that it becomes common MP3 trading at the expense of my not eating / paying rent.

Even if I were a former / current board memember, I couldn't admit to it now for fear of dying of embarassment.

- CynicalSaint
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2007, 11:09 PM

If I'd had $380 to my name I probably would have been bidding myself. I hope he gets his account worked out and does begin frequenting the board, in spite of any embarrassment we may have caused him. I don't think anyone intended to make him feel like a jerk. It seems to me that if the band had any problem with us sharing this music amongst ourselves(the highest appreciators of their music and the ones who will always be willing to throw money at them if they give us a reason) they would have said so when they replied in a thread that had mentioned sharing that music many and multiple times. I would definitely shoot the guy the original 3 bucks the tape would have cost at a show when it was originally released. Hell I'd shoot him 10. Maybe 20 if he wanted to burn me a CD and send it to me. Or 50 if he could find a way to press it on to vinyl and put it in a sleeve with some bitchin' cover art. I just wanna hear it. So, I entreat you Cynical Saint, please find it in yourself to be less the former part of your name and more the latter. I'm on my knees, hands clasped before me, in a puddle of my own tears, PLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSEEEE!

Disembodied ringlets from hair that looks like Carrie Underwood's.
09-20-2007, 11:30 PM

Dude, chill. It's totally worth it.
09-20-2007, 11:45 PM

... Wait, what?

It seems like you've very much misinterpretted what Sean was saying.
09-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Re: Cynical Saint-Demo Tape Winner
Poison Tongue Wrote:I realise I spent a stupid amount of money.
More than I could afford, on my favourite band's demo tape, because I am obviously an idiot and am thought so by the majority of people on the board. Fine.
I was unaware anyone here, much less the majority of people here, thought him unintelligent.
09-21-2007, 12:09 AM

Excluding me, we are quite the intelligent bunch!

Gun don't kill babies, babies kill babies.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-21-2007, 12:11 AM

Oh, c'mon. The band is self-deprecating enough without us following suit.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
09-21-2007, 12:33 AM

so wait- is he putting the songs online or no?

the meanest grandfather lives the longest.
09-21-2007, 12:44 AM

[Image: icosa.gif]
09-21-2007, 06:16 AM

we should all paypal him, like, 5 or 10 bucks for him to send us these songs. but, since one of us could easily throw them onto the internet immediately, i suggest a holding period of 2 weeks.

us constant readers on the board know whats going on with this whole thing.. if we all sent a few bucks his way, he can take our e-mails down and all that, then, when the 2 weeks is up and everyone who wants to hear the songs has donated to this cause, he can send all of us the songs..

.. thats just a suggestion, of course. im bored here at work and (at 9:30) thats the best i can do..

if anyone else has ideas on how to soften the blow of nearly 400 dollars, feel free to throw them around here.. cuz, fuck man, i REALLY wanna hear those songs.
09-21-2007, 07:57 AM

Im not sure how one becomes an idiot spending several hundred on HD deliciousness- i'd do it if i could. Either way i'd pay anyone anywhere a few quid to hear the songs ONCE and never again. I must hear them or i will continue to hate myself for not selling babies to fund my own bidding.
09-21-2007, 08:04 AM

I don't find him to be an idiot at all, I just personally couldn't have justified paying that much given my financial state.
09-21-2007, 10:27 AM

Lovely sentiment expressed. I'm dying to PayPal some money now.

:roll:

My LBL bonus disc is Ethiopian.
[Image: Savetheday.gif]
09-21-2007, 11:21 AM

I think what needs to happen here is songs need to be shared.

Nobody thinks Cynical Saint is an idiot. Just look at his delicious internet handle. And his willigness to spend money on HD. The man's brilliant and I salute him for caring that much about the band.
09-21-2007, 11:29 AM

Agent Zero Wrote:I think what needs to happen here is songs need to be shared.
Trouble is, he doesn't know us and has no reason to think we're anything but a bunch of greedy fanboys who let him do the dirty work. I'd love a fairy-tale ending but fear the ship's already left the harbor.