4th
5th or more...
Ben Gibbard can go swallow a knife.
[Show Results]

Oh! Why yes/no!
08-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Oh! Why yes/no!
I actually really want to know...

Gun don't kill babies, babies kill babies.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2007, 11:08 AM

I wasn't quite mean enough to tell him to swallow a knife, but they're certainly not in my top 50, nevermind 5.
Find all posts by this user
08-28-2007, 01:52 PM

I am the only man on earth who likes Something About Airples and Plans and everything in between EQUALLY.

Third favourite after HD and The LDubs
08-28-2007, 07:22 PM

They're probably somewhere in the 5-15 range for me, but I'm really bad at ranking favorites. I'd say they're in my second tier of favorites (behind HD/LDubs/Vanderslice/Built to Spill/etc).

I like it all more or less equally well up until Plans. Plans was a bit of a disappointment for me. A couple good songs, and still better than 99% of what else came out in '05, but overall not quite up to the level of Facts and Transatlanticism and the rest of their stuff.
08-28-2007, 07:53 PM

That knife' votes pretty high..

08-28-2007, 11:51 PM

Sorry about the knife, but I haven't heard a whole lot of death cab, and what I have heard wasn't mind-blowingly impressive.

the meanest grandfather lives the longest.
08-29-2007, 05:14 AM

Zero: I like The Photo Album just as much as Plans and Transatlanticism. I lack Something About Airplanes, though--alas.
08-29-2007, 09:11 AM

I really don't care about them. At all.

My LBL bonus disc is Ethiopian.
[Image: Savetheday.gif]
08-29-2007, 12:51 PM

I really like them and almost all their albums. Except for Transatlanticism...I think it's just so-so.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
08-29-2007, 01:42 PM

Well everyone nowadays know of them, I just wanted to see what the indie cred community thought as a whole.

I see "405" as one of the best songs ever, I just think they fell off the train, obviously thanks to big bad Atlantic.

08-29-2007, 01:46 PM

I don't think Atlantic had a thing to do with it, actually.

I am not sure why you hate major labels so much.

edit: By the by, I only own Plans and Transatlanticism but I have heard at least two songs off every album prior to those. And I have a bunch of b-sides and the like.
08-29-2007, 06:32 PM

"Transatlanticism" --> "Passenger Seat" is fantastically beautiful. Other than that, meh.
08-30-2007, 08:10 AM

LoserWire Wrote:I see "405" as one of the best songs ever...
I agree 110% with this. 405 is right up there in my top couple of songs. Damn near perfect. However;

LoserWire Wrote:...I just think they fell off the train, obviously thanks to big bad Atlantic.
I completely disagree with this. I think Plans represents a natural progression from Trans and the earlier stuff, not some Atlantic-imposed change in songwriting. Bands change over the years, compare Merrymakers to Little by Little and in some ways it sounds like two different bands (if you can get past Sean's distinctive voice). Sometimes they change for the better, sometimes for the worse and sometimes they just change without any real shift in quality. Either way, Death Cab had outgrown Barsuk and I don't think Atlantic has irreparably damaged them, they've just kept making the music they want to rather than remaking Facts ten times. Which is good, because then 405 would lose some of its' luster.
08-30-2007, 02:44 PM

I agree 100% with everything Cowgirl just said.
08-30-2007, 04:16 PM

I quite like Plans. It's not like they'd ever make my top 5 anyway, of course, and anyway, I have no indie cred whatsoever.

Love Potato