My thoughts on Fuel: A Compilation
01-09-2018, 02:58 PM
My thoughts on Fuel: A Compilation
Hey everyone, I'm back. Merry belated Christmas/New Years/etc! I've thought about making this post for a while, so finally, here it is.

Mitch Mitchell's Terrifying Experience "Get Out Of My World"

Before we begin, I'd like to make note that the band is actually called The Terrifying Experience; Mitch Mitchell is simply the guitarist. Because I couldn't find the song anywhere online, I bought the CD that features it "Supreme Radial", and I was disappointed until this song came on. As far as I'm aware, it's the band's pretty much only good song. 4/10

Haywood "Newbie Zimbo"

What does Newbie Zimbo even mean? And what does it have to do with the song? The song itself wasn't bad, although I had trouble finding a meaning to it. I do, however, really enjoy the singer's soothing voice. 6/10

Muler "Caesar's Palace"

Absolutely loved this one. This is definitely a song you would play at any type of party. Although I'm not sure what it had to do with Caesar or his palace. 9.5/10

Helium "Honeycomb"

The album could have done without it. It wasn't very memorable. "Honeycomb" sounds more like a lullaby than something you would listen to on a long road trip. 2/10

Longstocking "Teenage Angst at 27"

This song accurately describes every relationship I've been in in 9th grade. 8.5/10

Flesh Vehicle "Perfect State of Grace"

I haven't listened to any Flesh Vehicle songs other than this one, and judging by its style, I can probably infer that Flesh Vehicle is (was) indeed a college band with beer-stained shirts and lampshades on their heads.... 7.5/10

[b]Harvey Danger "Carjack Fever"

So I guess this song is about being a badass and drinking and stealing cars and whatnot, but it's so slow and just as lullaby-ish as "Honeycomb". Don't care; call me biased, but it had Sean's amazing voice and was definitely one of the highlights of this album. I also like the part where he goes "treeeeeeeeeeeeeee" 9/10

Purple Ivy Shadows "Just as Soon"

Eh...well at least it wasn't "Honeycomb". That's enough hate on that song, I promise. 3/10

Home "Chicago Demonstration"

I'll admit, it took me a while to figure out that this is a demo of Home's song "Chicago". Hence the title "Chicago Demonstration". As soft and mellow as this song was (other than the part with the tuba/cargo ship horn) it sounded...great actually. Very easy to get stuck in your head. 7/10

Pat Irwin "Sam's Wild Thing"

So...who is Sam? This song lacked lyrics, so I don't know which of Sam's things was wild. I still got a kick out of it, though. 4.5/10

Semi-Gloss "Stephanie's Boy"

I was not expecting this song to be sung by a male. I was predicting it could have been compared to Spice Girl's "Wannabe". Not the album's best song, but definitely not the worst. 5/10

Illyah Kuryahkin "Sundial"

Go home, Thom Yorke, you're drunk. Am I wrong though? This song (all songs by this band, actually) sound like Radiohead, but somehow even MORE slurred. I could tell there were supposed to be vocals in this song, but the instrumentals seemingly got louder as he was trying to sing. Did not care for that, but they were good instrumentals, in their defense. Plus, "Illyah Kuryahkin" is very fun to say. 5.5/10

Marble Valley "Weezer West"

Oh boy, I could talk about Marble Valley all day. I could make this thread about this one band in particular, but maybe another time. Weezer West...where to begin? First of all, talk about catchy. I'm humming this song as I type this, even though I can't understand all the lyrics to it (if someone wants to help me out with that...). I bought the album this song was on "Sauckiehall Street" and found it was the only good song (dare I call the others "songs") on it. Loved it. 9/10

Elf Power "Temporary Arm"

Amputations freak me out, seriously. I was expecting this song to have some sort of deeper meaning to it, and boy was I wrong. It wasn't a bad song, I assure. If I wasn't as afraid of losing an arm and getting a prosthetic, I'd probably enjoy it more. 6.5/10

Cagney & Lacey "Time"

Tiiiimeee, oh tiiiimeee, where have you gone? "Time" was just short of a masterpiece. It was one of my favorites on the album (not better than "Caesar's Palace") and is a good song to sing to your kids. Not that I would know or anything. I was also pretty surprised to hear Cagney & Lacey mentioned in the movie "Super Troopers", what with Fuel being an underground bands compilation and all. 8.5/10

Varnaline "Lbs."

This song was okay, to put it simply. I didn't particularly care for it myself, but it didn't make my ears want to kill themselves. It's a very passable song on the album and easy to miss if you aren't paying attention. 2.5/10

The Softies "Count to Ten"

All I can say is, I think I know why they're called The Softies. 3.5/10

Super 5 Thor "Century Girl"

From the album "Gazelle". It's relatively hard to figure out what this has to do with a girl of the century when the singer kept going "do do do dooo do dooo dooo".
At least the "do's" were catchy. 5.5/10

Underwater Salvage Partners "Rudy"

That's it. I've listened to every single song written and recorded by Underwater Salvage Partners in five short minutes, and possess all of their albums and merchandise.
Okay, that's enough. The song is about an odd fella named Rudy, and I guess the singer and Rudy fall in love, I think? The song was very quiet and mysterious, but that isn't always a bad thing, I think. 5/10

Crooked Fingers "Sleep for Sale"

Enlighten me, how do you sell sleep? Regardless, this song did a decent job of wrapping up the album, and wouldn't have fit anywhere else except for the very end...so good job. 6/10

To be fair, you have to have a high IQ to understand Harvey Danger...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2018, 03:00 PM
RE: My thoughts on Fuel: A Compilation
Aw dang it, I mistakenly highlighted Flesh Vehicle's criticism. Oh well, pretend it's not there.

01-11-2018, 06:52 AM
Nice read. I was only ever curious about Carjack Fever but now I wanna listen to the whole compilation. Is it on youtube or somewhere, would anyone know? I know I can buy a copy on Discogs, maybe I'll do that.
01-11-2018, 08:23 AM
It's available on Discogs, but now that I'm thinking about it, I should probably go ahead and upload it or something..

01-14-2018, 01:49 PM
(01-09-2018 02:58 PM)batfan01 Wrote:  Harvey Danger "Carjack Fever"

So I guess this song is about being a badass and drinking and stealing cars and whatnot, but it's so slow and just as lullaby-ish as "Honeycomb". Don't care; call me biased, but it had Sean's amazing voice and was definitely one of the highlights of this album. I also like the part where he goes "treeeeeeeeeeeeeee" 9/10

What else do you make of this one? "Carjack" is one of my favorite lyrics not just in the HD canon but across all music I know well. It's a story about marauding, and it's also a mood piece, and is more going on than that?

That's a lot of Sherman tanks!
01-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Quote: It's a story about marauding, and it's also a mood piece, and is more going on than that?

I think (Theme From) Carjack Fever does a better job at saying "hey, get in loser, we're gonna go steal stuff and get wasted". I just find it interesting how Carjack Fever gives the same message but slower and quieter.

01-16-2018, 12:10 AM
I thought it was about dating a girl who wrote bad poetry.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
01-16-2018, 01:49 PM
(01-16-2018 12:10 AM)johnnyfootballhero Wrote:  I thought it was about dating a girl who wrote bad poetry.

Of all things for it to be about? That makes sense, with the mention of Nathanael West, but hey, you don't need a passport to know what state you're in.

01-19-2018, 08:17 PM
Once I dated a poet, no / poetess
it wasn't my department ?

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.