A thing just happened...
10-02-2017, 06:50 PM
A thing just happened...
So, just now I earned the title "Owns original cardboard WHATMMG"...no I don't? It went from "Listens to KJV" (which is true)...but I was barely aware of the existence of the cardboard Merrymakers. I know it was made before the version we all know and love, but what about the cardboard version? Does it still exist? Can I buy it somewhere?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2017, 09:30 PM
RE: A thing just happened...
Try eBay. Comes in four colors!

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
10-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Wait a sec, is the cardboard version the one that looks like this? https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/...8m8SfL.jpg
10-03-2017, 01:54 PM
(10-03-2017 11:53 AM)batfan01 Wrote:  Wait a sec, is the cardboard version the one that looks like this? https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/...8m8SfL.jpg

The cover image is the same, but it's in a slim plain cardboard digipak with real silkscreen ink. Ie, not in a standard jewel case. The jewel case covers are essentially a scan of the original cardboard, if that makes sense. It's pretty neat. This image from Discogs is what it looks like opened up if that gives you a better sense:
https://img.discogs.com/Nd54W4zzzLB49gTD...3.jpeg.jpg

AFAIK there is zero difference in any actual audio on the CD. There are somewhere south of about 2000 copies of it out there. A lot of them are in landfills, I'm sure. Smile
Most have the orange house but a bunch have a different color.

My entrée into HD music was finding one of the cardboard copies in a record store bargain bin for 25 cents in Seattle back in 2002 or so. None listed on Discogs currently but it's unlikely to be expensive should you come across one.

That's a lot of Sherman tanks!
10-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Quote:AFAIK there is zero difference in any actual audio on the CD. There are somewhere south of about 2000 copies of it out there. A lot of them are in landfills, I'm sure. Smile
Most have the orange house but a bunch have a different color.

My entrée into HD music was finding one of the cardboard copies in a record store bargain bin for 25 cents in Seattle back in 2002 or so. None listed on Discogs currently but it's unlikely to be expensive should you come across one.

That's actually really interesting. Johnnyfootballhero gave me the idea of checking eBay to find the cardboard Merrymakers, but to no avail. (Geez, I may have to actually travel to Seattle to find one if that's what it takes). Instead, I found a copy of Circuit City alongside the regular WHATMMG CD. I already bought it though..
10-03-2017, 10:27 PM
I believe the first few pressings have different mastering, just not different mixing.

But there's no later
Is there?
12-02-2017, 12:48 PM
is johnnyfootballhero a reference to Nada Surf?
12-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Yep! And Penny.

But there's no later
Is there?