Sorry Somehow
09-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Sorry Somehow
dunno if anyone else saw this, but Sean put up a cover of a Grant Hart Husker Du tune. RIP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2017, 04:24 PM
RE: Sorry Somehow
right. should probably include the link.

https://soundcloud.com/actualseannelson/sorry-somehow
09-28-2017, 06:29 AM
Woah, an actual authentic new post on this board in 2017! How about that!!! Can we have a roll call of who is still around?

Also, thanks for the link. I didn't know about Sean's Soundcloud. I prefer the Bowie cover to this song though.
09-28-2017, 03:44 PM
Been meaning to thank Joe for the link anyway. Been bummed out, too, more people don't seem to know who Grant was.

Obviously, I'm still around.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
09-28-2017, 04:21 PM
i've been checking the board more often lately! i had a few deep HD conversations lately that led me back here. my band played a show a little while back with a great band from NY called Hiccup that has a former board member on guitar. it was a cool random connection and we talked for a while about how great HD and Sean are.
09-30-2017, 06:11 AM
Like the awful but weirdly watchable Joaquin Phoenix film, I'm still here

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
10-01-2017, 02:01 PM
So I guess 4 of us. At least that is something. I noticed a few of the images I had uploaded are down. If anyone needs something specific that has broken just let me know either on the specific thread or here. I'm not going to repost otherwise, since we can't edit (or delete) our posts anymore on this board.

On a personal note, I still am having a little trouble processing Aaron's passing. Like a few people on this board, I got to spend quality time with band members (not just "sign my CD" time). Specifically my girlfriend at the time and I got to know and spend time talking to Aaron and his wife both before and after the last Brooklyn show ever. We spent a few hours just talking about life and enjoying each other's company. I don't like to stalk famous people so I am not one to add band members to my facebook. I've met Sean several times, but I never got the sense that he wanted to be friends for example. That was not the case with Aaron. We talked politics. We talked about things other than Harvey Danger, so I added him as a friend on facebook and was happy that he remembered our talk and added me back. He was and is still the only famous person I have friended on facebook. Being on opposite sides of this continent we didn't have much interaction, but we weren't strangers either. His illness came as a shock to me. I wanted to reach out to Mindy and just share a story about Aaron, but I never did. It's been a year and a half and I am still sad about Aaron's passing. Not because he was a great songwriter, a fantastic bass player, or even because he was a casual friend. I'm upset because Aaron was one of the truly kindhearted and wonderful people that I got to know in my life and he was taken from this world far before his time. I need to reach out to Mindy just to send her my well wishes. I feel for his family. It sometimes makes it difficult for me to write anything on this board, because every time I come here I feel like there is more I should do to remember Aaron.
10-01-2017, 02:12 PM
Same here.

But there's no later
Is there?
10-02-2017, 05:37 AM
Make it five. I signed up back in '09 but didn't post until now. Been listening since Merrymakers.

I live on the east coast, so I never even had "sign my CD" time with the band. But I bought every album and own a some of the swag that came with the Little by Little bonus disc.

The other day, I was studying Bayesian statistics (math nerd) and got to thinking about the German tank problem. It's a famous problem from WWII; the allies were trying to figure out the rate of German tank production by looking at the serial numbers on the tanks they captured. If they found tank #125, they reasoned it was pretty likely there was a tank #126, but not so likely there was a tank #84,231. Using some fancy math, they made some seriously accurate estimates of the actual tank production.

. . . anyway, while I was thinking about it, I kept hearing that line, ". . . you're like 50 Sherman tanks (that's a lot of Sherman tanks)," in my head while was reading. I knew it was a Harvey Danger song, but for some reason I couldn't place what album it was from. Dead Sea Scrolls? No? The LBL bonus disc? No? And then I looked it up and remembered it was from the song they wrote to end the band.

It hit me sort of unexpectedly. Harvey Danger was kind of the theme music to my formative years, and now both the band and those years are over. And, as Aaron's death unfortunately highlights, there's no going back.

So I signed on to the forum, expecting a digital ghost town. Lo and behold, there's a new thread, so I thought I'd share my story.
10-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Big Texas hugs for all y'all.

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
10-02-2017, 06:48 PM
It's great to see a returning board user return. I'll tell ya, this board is far from dead. Well, not far, but it's running and I'm pretty grateful for it. Big Grin
10-03-2017, 05:18 PM
i never met the band, but Aaron's passing hit me pretty hard. mostly on the level of him being a huge influence on me as a musician. his approach to tone and melody was brilliant.
10-04-2017, 02:05 AM
(10-02-2017 05:37 AM)Tyvex Wrote:  So I signed on to the forum, expecting a digital ghost town. Lo and behold, there's a new thread, so I thought I'd share my story.

Glad you did. Having missed the band the first time around and never really made friends on the old web site, I hate to think there are diehard fans who still don't have anybody to geek out with about this stuff. I know the band is truly over without Aaron, but I continue to treasure the music and the people I met through it.

But there's no later
Is there?
10-04-2017, 08:55 PM
still very sad about aarons passing, too. he is, without a doubt, my favorite bass player ever. im still turning some friends onto harvey danger, which is always followed by 'why didnt i know about them??' to which i reply 'because you never goddamn listen to me' -- the appreciation for them slowly increases, though itll never reach what it should.
10-05-2017, 06:45 PM
I signed up at some point because I never got *quite* out of Harvey Danger and then I got really into them.