RIP Aaron Huffman
03-07-2016, 12:42 PM
RIP Aaron Huffman
Sad Day.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2016, 12:44 PM
RE: RIP Aaron Huffman
(03-07-2016 12:42 PM)innerturmoil Wrote:  Sad Day.

My god.

That's a lot of Sherman tanks!
Find all posts by this user
03-07-2016, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2016 01:39 PM by LoserWire.)
A member of my childhood favorite band has passed. this one hurts, a lot.

I'd have something more poetic to say, but combined with the passing of Rich- watching the community of a band I saw eight times (and each and every time as someone no older then a nineteen year old) is a feeling that's hard to process. The way I play Bass was pretty much sculpted by Aaron's fuzz. This city has culturaly lost one of my favorite artists.

Death sucks. RIP Aaron, best wishes to your friends and family

Gun don't kill babies, babies kill babies.
03-07-2016, 04:39 PM
well, this is fucking heartbreaking..

i feel bad, not having known he was ill for a while.. admittedly, i dont follow anyone on social media, so, i have no idea what theyve all been up to.. can anyone account for the rest of the band, just to put my mind at ease..?

man, the way he played bass, it was such a signature sound.. breaks my heart to know that ill never hear it live again.

all my thoughts are with aarons family and the guys..

too goddamn young, man..
03-07-2016, 04:47 PM
I was heartbroken when I saw the news. Group hugs, y'all. <3
03-07-2016, 07:09 PM
When I first went to Seattle, I knew no one outside the band. Aaron and Mindy made numerous overtures to make me feel at home in a strange bar. Aaron did this again in Chicago several years later in the middle of setting up for the show. It meant a lot.

Dammit.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
03-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Hi fellow HD fans. My name is Griffin. Like LoserWire said "This one hurts...a lot. I wish I had something more poetic to say..."
My love for HD came from getting to be in the band that opened for them when they reunited about a decade ago after years of you all telling them to do it (thanks for that btw!). I got to know Aaron Huffman over those few short weeks and briefly met his wife at the final show at Maxwell's. Good people. I didn't know him as long as well as other people, but those few weeks were special. For a few weeks his band, Harvey Danger, was my life. We were fucking corndogs. He was a kind and funny person and a great musician. Thoughts are with his family and bandmates.
03-08-2016, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2016 09:51 AM by Dr. Myrrth Sicopath.)
This was devastating news. All I can do is echo the sentiment that this is grief compounded further, first Rich, now Aaron. The tenuous bubble of the good old days of 2005 is disappearing too quickly. There's the sadness for losing that time period, and the sadness of losing such a phenomenal person and artist. I see his absence everywhere I go, even when I close my eyes.

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
03-09-2016, 08:33 PM
definitely hit me HARD when i read it yesterday. so horrible. what an incredible bass player. he's been a massive influence on my playing (and my distorted bass tone) and i loved watching him when HD played.
03-10-2016, 05:44 AM
Well this is just another punch to the gut.

I share the sentiment of others that this feels like the bubble bursting on a period that still feels almost like yesterday, even though it was 2009. It's a harsh shock.

I can't identify as a musician, but my most direct/distinct story/memory of Aaron is from the final Schubas show in Chicago. (This might be the show Todd referenced) We were all there quite early and Aaron was out in the bar mingling and came over to have a chat. The contents of conversation escape me, but that doesn't matter, because he stayed to have a drink and was happy to have us all come out. I generally don't like having my picture taken, and I'm sure I probably protested at the time, but one of you guys got Aaron and I to pose....it turned out great.

If anybody hasn't seen - I'll pass along these links:

Remembering Aaron Huffman, 1972–2016
http://www.thestranger.com/feature/2016/...dndash2016

Aaron Huffman Family Fund
https://www.youcaring.com/mindy-lionrl-huffman-535602

The resident board travel agent...
03-10-2016, 08:50 AM
The first link, from The Stranger, says "There will be a public memorial in the coming weeks." I still live in Atlanta, but by coincidence, I'm already travelling to Seattle over March 22-28. I would like to pay my respects, if the timing works for me to be in Seattle for the public memorial. Is anybody else old-guard still in Seattle, or would come to Seattle too? It would be nice to attend with somebody from back-in-the-day. <3
03-10-2016, 07:08 PM
I doubt that traveling to the memorial is feasible for me, but I sure have been thinking about it. I hope it works out for you, Christin.

I found this blog post today by Peter Parker's drummer, Steve Migs, that shares great memories of Aaron from the late 1990s. It includes background on the recording of "We Drew the Maps."
03-12-2016, 08:18 AM
I don't visit this forum very often, I just poke my head in every few weeks or months. Today happened to be one of those days.

I'll withhold the torrent of profanities, not out of decorum but simply because there aren't enough Ks in the Scrabble tile bag to fully convey my sentiments.

I rarely leave the East Coast. I never saw Harvey Danger perform live, and I've never been to Seattle. I have no stories to share. I won't dare to claim the personal sense of loss that many others must be feeling right now. But as a fan, I claim the right to be sad and pissed off. Being a godless secular, I'm denied the right to be pissed off AT anyone in particular, so I'm reduced to radiating a non-directional rage against the dying of the light.

For the last year or so, it has seemed like someone has been picking off members of my favorite bands. (I'm not even counting Bowie, whom I respected but I was never a fan beyond the "greatest hits" level.) George Martin? Okay, he was 90; sad but not tragic. Chris Squire? I sort of get it. Keith Emerson seems to have shown himself the door. But Darius Minwalla? And now Aaron? I'm older than either of the last two. If I thought someone was in charge, I'd be filing claims in triplicate to demand an explanation.

I'll stop rambling in front of people I've never met, and who have little reason to care what I think. But I wanted to say something, to add my tiny droplet to the ripples that Aaron, and those like him who have left us too soon, have spread across the surface of this lonely pond we all share.

Thanks to Sean, Jeff, Evan, Michael, and the others who have been part of Harvey Danger, and deep respect to the memory of Aaron Huffman.
03-15-2016, 07:35 AM
It hurts. A lot. A hell of a lot. RIP Aaron. The music you helped create has meant so much to me and continues to.

"Fuck you board elitist."
03-18-2016, 03:59 PM
(03-10-2016 07:08 PM)dchris Wrote:  I found this blog post today by Peter Parker's drummer, Steve Migs, that shares great memories of Aaron from the late 1990s. It includes background on the recording of "We Drew the Maps."

Thanks for that link - like The Edge and Bono, f'instance I didn't immediately note that it wasn't Sean Nelson using a different vocal style. It's a good song.

That link led me to this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Round_Mirrors

which has the following (I think) laughable statement:

"The lyrics, often said to be written by the band's frontman Sean Nelson, describe someone telling another unknown person (perhaps a loved one) told to love someone at least half as much as they love themselves (known as their "little round mirrors")."

Little Round Mirrors are his/her favorite bands' CDs, yeah? The sentence is lousy in a lot of other ways, as well.

If any of you are or know any Wikipedia editors. that seems worth fixing.