Lyrics to post-HD songs
06-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Lyrics to post-HD songs
I LOVE sean's lyrics! And i've been posting what I thought some of the Make Good Choices lyrics were in the other thread, and getting help from others. But i typed out Shark, and i figured I might as well post a new thread for lyrics in general. do you have any you can post?

here's Shark:

It started out fast, it ended up ending faster. It was a complete disaster. Not even very good while it lasted. Every summer's endless 'til every summer ends. The consolation prize is you're still technically friends. One step past the brink it hurts like a stinging nettle. As dead as the falsest metal. Regret'll change the way that you think about everything. It's got cold blood, three rows of teeth, sand-paper skin, and it strikes from beneath. And it dies if it stops moving, but that don't make it a shark. And it don't make it love just because it'll tear us apart again and again and again.

Committed to pain, I deemed it a total pleasure. Calibrating your stop-gap measure. Just passing on your sovereign to reign (like an infidel). It makes your heart beat faster, overcomes your will, it keeps you up all night as if you're taking a pill. It makes you say "I love you" which does not mean you're in love. You feel the most entitled to the things you're the least worthy of.

Psychologically the human brain cannot distinguish between the real and the vividly imagined. And it's all consuming, but that don't mean it's fire. And just because it's no longer true doesn't mean you're a liar. And you can chase it forever, but that don't mean it's there. It's hard to believe when it's harder to breathe in the thin, thin air.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2013, 08:39 PM
RE: Lyrics to post-HD songs
"As dead as the falsest mettle"
"sand-papery skin"
"trespassing o'er your sovereign to reign"
"it keeps you up all night as if you've taken a pill"
were what I thought they were.

Surprisingly, Flagpole Sitta was NOT my first Harvey Danger Song.

[Image: SMHpng_zps09a59613.png]
06-18-2013, 04:30 AM
falsest mettle is interesting. i figured it'd be metal. made me think of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_to_False_Metal

"The title is a reference to Manowar's common phrase often used in their song lyrics (such as "Master of the Wind") and album sleeves."

That sovereign line gave me all kinds of trouble. I think you may be right there. I"ll go over all again later. Smile
06-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Well then, I'm inclined to agree with you with the metal.

07-14-2013, 10:30 AM
I took a stab at Saw You Naked. There's some spots in there I couldn't get anything, and then there's, of course, some horribly wrong lines. If I could here SOMETHING I at least wrote that out. I'm really interested in hearing anyone else's take.

Time takes a long time. You feel like you're dying. But if you pretend hard enough being, you'll be conviced you're alive. Reset. You see then you fret. And then you forget. Then a ?. So if I say I'm doing fine, then you'll know I'm lying. Stunned by the swiftness with which the ridiculous ? the sublime.

Haunted by hindsight. Upset by the view but not quite water tight, but we'd make it. I saw you undress many times, but I'm not sure if I ever once saw you naked.

I don't wanna burst it. But it's ?. It's no use being clever. I said I'd wait forever. And I guess in a sense I still am.

Acquiesce, you start off depressed, end up obsessed. Unless it's the other way 'round. You survive. A risk is implied when two clouds collide you know you're gonna get rain, but the rain's guaranteed to subside.

We author our fictions so we can inflict them on ones we once loved when we miss them. Can not distance but our distance just closed til I got the ghost of you out of my system.

So here's what else I have inside of me.
07-17-2013, 05:47 AM
Stunned by the swiftness with which the ridiculous dethroned the sublime.
08-15-2013, 10:11 PM
anyone have suggestions for the line in bold? i may have it right, but i'm not sure. great song. i wonder if he'll finish it up someday.

Circling The Airport

You're right, I didn't mean anxious, I meant eager. But in my life there's never been too much separation. You're right, there's nothing lower than a cheater, expect perhaps the other side of the equation. You're probably right about the Rolling Stone, how they were never the same after Brian Jones. But, if you'll grant me Sticky Fingers, I will help you Let It Be.

You're right, I've kind of been circling the airport, even though the runway is clear. You're right, I'm forever putting thumbtacks in a wall map, while everything I need is here. I know you're right about the dismal scenes where one of us always has to beg and plead. But I did not come here to argue, I swear, I came here to concede.

We're tuned to our own exclusive frequency. And anger's above. There's sturm und drang. And if you think I could ever live without that sound, you couldn't be more wrong. No, you couldn't be more wrong.

You're right, you couldn't be more wrong.
08-24-2013, 06:48 PM
You're right; I didn't mean anxious, I meant eager. But in my life there's never been too much separation. You're right; there's nothing lower than a cheater except perhaps the other side of the equation. You're probably right about the Rolling Stone and how they were never the same after Brian Jones. But if you'll grant me Sticky Fingers I will help you Let It Be.

You're right; I've kind of been circling the airport even though the runway is clear. You're right; I'm forever putting thumbtacks in a wall map when everything I need is here. I know you're right about the dismal scenes where one of us always has to beg and plead. But I did not come here to argue, I swear; I came here to concede.

We're tuned to our own exclusive frequency that lingers above the external thrum. And if you think I could ever live without that sound\ you couldn't be more wrong. No, you couldn't be more wrong.

You're right; you couldn't be more wrong.

The bold is what I'm sure of. The italics is what I'm not so certain of.

08-24-2013, 09:02 PM
you caught my typo. Smile

i wonder if the other line is a combination of the two: that lingers above the sturn und drang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturm_and_Drang

with the lyrics about "live without that sound" "out own exclusive frequencies" i thought this bit made it sound right: "a proto-Romantic movement in German literature and music taking place from the late 1760s to the early 1780s, in which individual subjectivity and, in particular, extremes of emotion were given free expression in reaction to the perceived constraints of rationalism imposed by the Enlightenment and associated aesthetic movements."

and later about how the phrase was used in music: The Classical period music (1750–1800) associated with Sturm und Drang is predominantly written in a minor key to convey difficult or depressing sentiments. The principal themes tend to be angular, with large leaps and unpredictable melodic contours. Tempos and dynamics change rapidly and unpredictably in order to reflect strong changes of emotion.
08-28-2013, 12:26 AM
Could be. I'm a non-native speaker of English so throw in a borrowed word in there and I'm totally stumped. For the longest time, I thought espirit de corps was aspirated core.