Sean Nelson- Make Good Choices
05-24-2013, 03:18 PM
RE: Sean Nelson- Make Good Choices
did anyone else catch his lovely show at the Tractor yestereve?

"Hillary Clinton thinks she's SO cool."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2013, 04:35 PM
The album is good. Smile
Find all posts by this user
05-26-2013, 01:48 AM
Trust this board to have all the latest! It really has been too long. Lessee now...

Here's what I think the lyrics are, based heavily on the Round performance... and the asperated core part I was never sure of but had nothing better to go on. But seeing as how much of a francophile Sean is, esprit de corps is probably the better choice.

I promise everything's alright
It's just I think of you sometimes
I like to stay up after midnight
Listening for the chimes we used to hear
So loud and clear
But I haven't heard that song in years

A wise old man was once heard to say
Yhe things that always cause us the most pain
Are those from which we are always
The least prepared to walk away
That's probably why I had you on the brain

When I learned I couldn't count on you
When I was my most desperate when
Nothing that you said was true
And breaking down my asperated core
Was your most beloved chore
Still I couldn't close the iron door

I saved a little face
It was a fool's economy
It ended in disgrace
Screaming get the hell away from me
I put you in your place
I knew you wouldn't stay there
But you had such vulgar taste
You even had the gall to ask for car fare.

I thought of calling you up yesterday
And then I came rushing back to my good senses
It was all I could do just to obey
I started hearing voices
Warning me to make good choices

I saw your shadow play
And thought what kind of farce is this
But what I said was dying breed
Your smile was disarming
Cause nothing is more charming
Than a narcissist with whom you've just agreed
"Make good choices" thank you very much indeed.

I used to dream of you nightly
I would wake up screaming
I'll try to put it politely
When you're not here my heart rejoices
Don't come near me make good choices

Your face was perfectly straight
You said that basically
Most people hate their friends
Well I say it depends
I have so much so much I want to tell you
And no where to begin.

Pretty sure it's "from which we are always the least prepared to walk away", though. Because that line reminds me of what, Winston Churchill's comment? "This is the sort of thing up with which I will not put" or something? The most natural sounding phrasing of that sentence is "this is the sort of thing I will not put up with". Turning around "from which we are always the least prepared to walk away" you get "we are always the least prepared to walk away from" and that makes more sense to me than "we are always least prepared to walk away for".

Surprisingly, Flagpole Sitta was NOT my first Harvey Danger Song.

[Image: SMHpng_zps09a59613.png]
05-26-2013, 01:51 AM
(05-23-2013 04:41 AM)ScaryMonkeyShow Wrote:  And for those who either don't want a shirt or are looking to save a little bit of money, you can get just the LP and USB combo for $20, or a CD+USB for $17: http://reallyrecords.bigcartel.com/produ...-usb-combo
Oh, and thank you for this. I don't like that I have to choose between a man's small and a woman's large. Last time someone bought me a man's small shirt (what? women and men have different sizes? huh?) it was still a tent on me. Might get it anyway just for the sake of throwing money at Sean and just use it as a exercise shirt. Like all my other, promotional shirts.

Surprisingly, Flagpole Sitta was NOT my first Harvey Danger Song.

[Image: SMHpng_zps09a59613.png]
06-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Play me a song on that old guitar that will not stay in tune and later on you can tell me how you are and what you're going through. I've always loved to hear your thoughts. I wonder how you feel, 'cause it's been so long since we talked about anything real. If you're backed into a corner, worried that no one's behind you, well, I won't have to remind you that we don't have to live that way. No, we don't have to live that way. The world is full of lonely people who act like they were born without a heart. We fell together. And then we fell apart. But I'm hoping you remember. I know the hell that you call home. I know you're frightened by the phone. I know that we all die alone and afraid. But we don't have to live that way. No, we don't have to live that way. So much to discovered. So much to be discussed. So much to be dismissed it follows so much to leave untouched. It's killing me, I know you know. The friends you knew and loved are gone. You can't depend on anyone. We might be soldiers on a long march to the grave. But we don't have to live that way. No, we don't have to live that way.
06-01-2013, 08:32 AM
So much to BE discovered.
06-03-2013, 05:26 PM
has anyone gotten a shipping notice? does anyone know if there will be a shipping notice? i want this in my hands
06-03-2013, 05:52 PM
(06-03-2013 05:26 PM)joedecarolis Wrote:  has anyone gotten a shipping notice? does anyone know if there will be a shipping notice? i want this in my hands

Presumably you got this as well:

"Hey there, everybody! Thanks a lot for ordering Sean Nelson's first solo record EVER!! Of course, as these things often go, there were a handful of problems with receiving all of the goods in a timely fashion (you can guess whether it was UPS or FedEx's fault.) We have been packing everything as quickly and your records, CD's, shirts and USB are being sent out this week. In the meantime, however, please enjoy this (barely) advance download of Sean Nelson's Make Good Choices!"

And the e-mail has a download link...
06-03-2013, 06:05 PM
it went to my junk. i never would've looked there if you didn't post that, so thank you!
06-03-2013, 06:09 PM
I had *just* gotten that (that is, after you posted), but glad to be of help.
06-03-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm delighted they got in touch. I'm dying to know what the bonus tracks are, but this ought to tide me over.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
06-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Anyone notice that some of the songs are from lossy sources? A bit of a shame that we aren't getting some of these fine songs ("Born Without a Heart", "Make Good Choices", "More Good News From the Front") in actual lossless quality. Maybe it is just the download provided?
06-04-2013, 05:03 PM
this is pretty excellent. sounds like a pretty logical extension of LBL to me. it's notably less rock and more....theatrical? for lack of a better term. i've been trying to figure out what song peter buck plays on. i'm guessing "born without a heart"
06-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Just started listening to it. Sounds really good. I've heard all of these songs before, in one form or another, but its refreshing to hear that they sound to me to be different/better versions than the demos that have been floating around for awhile. Now just to wait for the vinyl to come in the mail.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2013, 05:35 AM
I only heard Brooklyn Bridge, Ski Life Incident and then Make Good Choices a few weeks before the release. After I heard a solo album was coming out for sure, I stopped myself from seeking. Very pleased.

"Fuck you board elitist."