Sean Nelson- Make Good Choices
04-11-2013, 07:31 PM
RE: Sean Nelson- Make Good Choices
*i'm assuming the latter, sorry. (can we not edit posts now? fffffffffffff)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2013, 11:51 PM
(04-10-2013 10:35 PM)NewGirl Wrote:  we need some more info on what's on this usb. intriguing if it was sean's idea to include it, which would make it more likely there is anything actually "rare" on it.

Is "need" really the right word there? I mean, we're getting whatever we're getting as soon as it ships regardless.

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
04-11-2013, 11:59 PM
I meant to say I'm pretending not to pre-order my favorite singer-songwriter's solo debut until he personally promises me both versions of "Busker" are bonus tracks.

But there's no later
Is there?
04-12-2013, 09:35 AM
i'd just rather not pay for something i've already got, despite how cool a usb of rare tracks sounds as a bonus.
04-12-2013, 04:55 PM
I see.
05-14-2013, 02:13 AM
Do we know what "Stupid and 25 (The Incredibly Sad Shuffle)" is?

But there's no later
Is there?
05-16-2013, 06:45 PM
no idea.
05-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Is there any way we could know what is on that USB stick? I just am curious if it's anything that we haven't heard before either on Dead Sea Scrolls or the original Unreleased CD. I've been doing my best not to double-up on things of late but if it's new stuff I'm down!

~ScaryMonkeyShow
"I'm gonna sing the DOOM song now!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-20-2013, 11:59 AM
NPR has Make Good Choices available for streaming via their First Listen feature.

http://www.npr.org/2013/05/19/184811141/...od-choices
05-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Entire album now streaming:

First Listen: Sean Nelson, 'Make Good Choices'

Quote:by STEPHEN THOMPSON
May 19, 201310:20 PM

In the playfully faux-autobiographical "Kicking Me Out of the Band," Harvey Danger's Sean Nelson closes his solo debut by painting a comical portrait of a deluded former frontman whose hedonistic exploits get him booted from the band he'd founded. It's a stinging, clever bit of satire — the sort of song Nelson ought to trot out at a key moment in the stage musical he was born to write one day — but it also draws a sharp contrast to the singer's own story.

Unlike the subject of "Kicking Me Out of the Band," Harvey Danger followed its own tremendous success — in the form of a smash single called "" back in 1998 — with a pair of lovely records, neither of which did much of anything commercially. But Nelson never seemed to chase another chart-topper: His band's second album, 2000's King James Version, was a lush, thoughtful, sonically ambitious flop, and Harvey Danger self-released a near-perfect power-pop record (Little by Little...) five years later, before slowly winding down operations by the end of the decade. The group disbanded amid no apparent animosity, and Nelson has kept busy as a writer, actor and occasional musician ever since.

Now, eight years after Little by Little..., Nelson returns with Make Good Choices, a wonderfully catchy and quotable solo album to which he'd devoted years of intermittent tinkering. Recorded with an assortment of sure-handed all-stars, including 's Peter Buck and 's , Make Good Choices fits perfectly on the irregular-but-unimpeachable Harvey Danger continuum. The title track even serves as a sequel of sorts to the group's last song, "," as Nelson looks back on a failed relationship through the lenses of temptation and bitterness, only to wisely conclude that the past is best left where it belongs.

True to virtually every piece of music Nelson has ever written, Make Good Choices (out June 4) is fueled by a cocktail of quotability and charm — not to mention a gift for gorgeous ballads like "Advance and Retreat" — but also clearly informed by the unlikely career that led him to this point. In all, it's a fine new beginning for Nelson, a singer who's all the wiser for the endings he's faced.

Digging it so far.
05-20-2013, 01:13 PM
I asked Sean on Twitter, and this was his response: "it's not all HD stuff, just a primer of my favorites. but there may well be a few delights that even diehards haven't heard."

~ScaryMonkeyShow
05-20-2013, 01:14 PM
I'll Be The One is the Badfinger song. *Awesome*.
05-20-2013, 03:20 PM
very much digging this album. excited for the vinyl to arrive. and, sadly, now the usb, too. but, im pretty much gonna be playing this on repeat over and over and over and over and over until the record arrives. which will be nice, because ive been stuck listening to amanda palmer & the grand theft orchestras 'theatre is evil' since it came out last year - and i dont mean 'stuck' in a bad way, i just love that album so much that its all ive wanted to listen to. so, thank you npr - i may not have ever liked you before, but now i do.

and thank YOU guys for knowing about these things. 'cause, honestly, if no one put them here, it would be months after its release before id have known that this album was even around.

glad these parts still have some life pumping through them, however distant it may be. you guys are awesome.

as are the harveys.

(saving up money for the ever-hopeful 20th anniversary of WHATMMG that i keep dreaming about but know will never happen)

(btw, i dont suppose anyone here won the $600 million powerball, eh? thatd be able to support one hell of a reunion show! heh)
05-20-2013, 06:35 PM
(05-20-2013 01:13 PM)ScaryMonkeyShow Wrote:  I asked Sean on Twitter, and this was his response: "it's not all HD stuff, just a primer of my favorites. but there may well be a few delights that even diehards haven't heard."

Marshmallow hearts.

But there's no later
Is there?
05-23-2013, 04:41 AM
And for those who either don't want a shirt or are looking to save a little bit of money, you can get just the LP and USB combo for $20, or a CD+USB for $17: http://reallyrecords.bigcartel.com/produ...-usb-combo

~ScaryMonkeyShow