Super Columbine Massacre RPG!
01-10-2007, 05:11 AM
Super Columbine Massacre RPG!
I don't know if any of you have heard. But somebody made a game based on the Columbine Massacre... For those of you who haven't heard, I invite you read this interview (the only one I could find) with the creator.

I thought it was the worst idea that had ever crossed anyone's head, but after looking into it, I really want to play it. Anywho... The creator was invited to enter his game into the slamdance game competition. After becoming a finalist, slamdance pulled the game from the competition. Due to that fact, more and more games are dropping out voluntarily to protest slamdance's decision... I'm glad they're backing up SCM RPG!, someone made a very good point that people out there will speak out against SCM, but are perfectly fine with call of duty, and the likes...

I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion about this game, and events are....

Franky

P.S. Here's the wiki on the game
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2007, 10:04 AM

This doesn't seem to be the same one that came out shortly after the events. There was someone who made a Starcraft mod about the events, which was the most insensitive thing I've ever heard of at the time. This one seems to be made with slightly different intentions, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Although, props for one of the major selling points, that the parents of the dead kids can play through the game as the killers, hoping to see their kid represented on-screen for them to go after! Har har har!

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
Find all posts by this user
01-10-2007, 10:11 AM

This is absolutely horrible.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
01-10-2007, 10:26 AM

Yeah I think the key difference between this and Call of Duty is that this was a MASSACRE, whereas that is based on a war, where people are well aware of the violent nature and surroundings... a game on Columbine is probably the tipping point that would make me renounce my American citizenship.
01-10-2007, 10:33 AM

Jack Thompson is probably frothing at the mouth right about now. It'll be interesting to see what the critics of the gaming industry will say about all this. They will likely lump this in with the mainstream development.
01-10-2007, 01:48 PM

TRM Wrote:This is absolutely horrible.
Ibid.

I misread Jack Thompson as Jack Johnson.
01-10-2007, 08:59 PM

junker Wrote:Yeah I think the key difference between this and Call of Duty is that this was a MASSACRE, whereas that is based on a war, where people are well aware of the violent nature and surroundings... a game on Columbine is probably the tipping point that would make me renounce my American citizenship.

Excellent point. Call of Duty is a violent game, certainly, but it is based on two conflicting countries, and both the player character and the person they represent in history are adult soldiers. Columbine takes place in a school where children, and only children, are the victims. The whole idea behind making something referred to as a game based on those events makes me physically ill.

Did anyone read how another recent school shooting took place, and the killer made it perfectly clear that he had played this particular game, and enjoyed it immensely? There are some things that just should not fucking exist. If Jack Thompson goes after this, it will be the first thing he does I agree with.

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
01-10-2007, 10:33 PM

Anyone who knows about this game really knows that it is not just a horrible massacre simulation or anything. It's more about exploring why the killers might have done it and is far more interesting and sensitive than it is being presented as in some places.

Yes and that guy who blamed this game for his shooting was clearly an idiot. It. Is. NOT. a. murder. simulator.
01-11-2007, 03:37 AM

Agent Zero Wrote:Anyone who knows about this game really knows that it is not just a horrible massacre simulation or anything. It's more about exploring why the killers might have done it and is far more interesting and sensitive than it is being presented as in some places.
Say, whatever happened to that game that explored why O.J. might have done it? That was tasteful, too.
01-11-2007, 08:19 AM

Agent Zero Wrote:It. Is. NOT. a. murder. simulator.
yeah, but that doesn't make it necessary. i mean, i know it's an RPG so you aren't like walking into peoples faces with ak47's, but please, let's have some decency.

i'd like to run on a media tangent here. why can't anybody make anything original anymore? Everything is sequels to movies based on comic books...
01-11-2007, 08:20 AM

Brant Wrote:They will likely lump this in with the mainstream development.

You give them far too much credit; remember, they don't have much practice in strategy development or planning, they don't play destructive games like Dawn of War or Starcraft or Tetris...

johnnyfootballhero Wrote:Say, whatever happened to that game that explored why O.J. might have done it? That was tasteful, too.

He sued for its removal from shelves. The court ruled that it was too similar to his copyrighted autobiography.

If I had conjured this as a fiction
I would be scared I'd gone too far
01-11-2007, 09:24 AM

junker Wrote:yeah, but that doesn't make it necessary. i mean, i know it's an RPG so you aren't like walking into peoples faces with ak47's, but please, let's have some decency.

i'd like to run on a media tangent here. why can't anybody make anything original anymore? Everything is sequels to movies based on comic books...

My god, those paragraphs are diametrically opposed. In the first you are essentially saying that some piece of art should not exist, because it doesn't fulfill your expectations of 'decency', a sentiment that I abhor. In the second you ask why mainstream art forms are generally stagnant. Well I will answer you: because most Americans agree with the sentiment of your first paragraph, much more than you probably do.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to come off as inflammatory, I just thought I should point this out.
01-11-2007, 11:53 AM

Brant Wrote:
junker Wrote:yeah, but that doesn't make it necessary. i mean, i know it's an RPG so you aren't like walking into peoples faces with ak47's, but please, let's have some decency.

My god, those paragraphs are diametrically opposed. In the first you are essentially saying that some piece of art should not exist, because it doesn't fulfill your expectations of 'decency', a sentiment that I abhor. In the second you ask why mainstream art forms are generally stagnant. Well I will answer you: because most Americans agree with the sentiment of your first paragraph, much more than you probably do.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to come off as inflammatory, I just thought I should point this out.

i'm all for freedom of art. i love it. but first, i don't think a video game is necessarily art. and second, i think that making a GAME out of a terrible tragedy is different from making a piece of art out of it. i feel like it demeans the suffering of the people who were there and insults the families of the victims.
01-11-2007, 12:55 PM

i downloaded it and tried playing it but it doesnt work on my computer. the trailer looks great though, really interesting

L,

Sean

Even Paul Newman shriveled up into an old man and turned to dust
01-11-2007, 01:48 PM

junker Wrote:i'd like to run on a media tangent here. why can't anybody make anything original anymore? Everything is sequels to movies based on comic books...

There's so many diffenert ways of exploring that issue, but I think I'll stick with the most obvious:

The money, honey!

There are so many sequels/ remakes, blatant rip-offs/ rehashes of the same kind of media, because people are looking to cash in on it. It is far easier to invest in a lameduck horror film (or sequel, or remake) and make money from the associated name (be is Halloween 14 or "A movie exactly like the Halloween series!") then to generally create something original and hope it sells.

[Image: bwp4.gif]