Expanding Moderator's Abilities
12-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Expanding Moderator's Abilities
I would like to expand the moderator's ability to include banning of members. I only ask for this because I would only use it to curtail the massive amounts of spambots we have. Pipec_Zadrochenn has been posting repeatedly and non-stop and I feel that me, Brant and Remarkable Man would have a better time putting a stop to these spammers, if we're able to delete the spam and eliminate the spambot in the same process.

Thank you,

BR

[Image: bwp4.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2006, 04:51 AM

I'm not a staff member, but I do support this. Seeing constant spam by bots (especially by the same one) is an eyesore and I think anyone can agree.

[Image: misterfunnyman.png]
12-05-2006, 05:04 AM

I do think upping your abilities is a good idea and the three of you clearly pose no risk in terms of abusing powers. However, I'm not sure that this will stop the very very irritating problem of the spam as although there are registered spammers posting say 5 or 6 times, aren't they doing so all in one go? Banning them will make little difference because mostly they register, spam a load in one go and then piss off - banning their accounts after the event will make little difference.

I think membership should be moderated instead/aswell. You 3 could approve accounts rather than Jeff having to do it.

Definitely something needs to be done.

Stories of rags to riches leave me in stitches...
Find all posts by this user
12-05-2006, 05:32 AM

There's the option of banning via IP address, but that might conflict with the regular members or future members IPs...

This spamming thing is just getting ridiculous.

[Image: misterfunnyman.png]
12-05-2006, 09:54 AM

I fine with whatever will take care of the spam bots. There are some that are posting multiple times but not at the same time. I've noticed it too. It actually has made it easier for me to filter out what messages are going to be spam cause I recognize the names.

Disembodied ringlets from hair that looks like Carrie Underwood's.
Find all posts by this user
12-05-2006, 10:34 PM

Sorry I've not been around, too many things for too little time. I'll upgrade the moderators, everyone seems agreed it's a good idea....