NaNoWriMo
10-27-2006, 02:20 PM
NaNoWriMo
Is anybody doing NaNoWriMo this year?

I know better than to try myself, this particular year--my plate is full--but it's a stellar program for anybody looking to force through the creatively-crap first-burst-of-artistic-bullshit often necessary to output actual good writing. I did a Young Adult novel called The House That Jenna Built a couple years back, and I had a blast doing it. The year prior, I aborted The Fall And Fall Of Isaac P. Namwoltz because I started loathing the main character before I hit 10,000 words.

So. NaNoWriMo? Anybody have a title so far? Some plot ideas? Has anybody here finished one?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Re: NaNoWriMo
Scottique Wrote:Is anybody doing NaNoWriMo this year?

I know better than to try myself, this particular year--my plate is full--but it's a stellar program for anybody looking to force through the creatively-crap first-burst-of-artistic-bullshit often necessary to output actual good writing. I did a Young Adult novel called The House That Jenna Built a couple years back, and I had a blast doing it. The year prior, I aborted The Fall And Fall Of Isaac P. Namwoltz because I started loathing the main character before I hit 10,000 words.

So. NaNoWriMo? Anybody have a title so far? Some plot ideas? Has anybody here finished one?
Interesting idea..............but I doubt I would do that..........I'm not much of a novel person.......outside Dostoevsky.......plays are much more cool.

I think, therfore I am a communist
10-27-2006, 08:32 PM

I started a novel over the summer that I intend to finish by Christmas. Is it wrong to enter it in? It's shaping up to be well over their minimum (currently 109 pages).

And, curiously enough, it's a hybrid novel/play. Also it's hilarious. If someone wants to read some of it, PM me and I can email it to you.

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
Find all posts by this user
10-27-2006, 11:30 PM

I might try this year. I mean I've signed up and re-activated my account but I do not have any ideas.
10-28-2006, 05:29 AM

Agent Zero Wrote:I might try this year. I mean I've signed up and re-activated my account but I do not have any ideas.
Write about Aaron H and his pink hair.........trust me, it's a good idea

10-28-2006, 07:21 AM

phragit Wrote:
Agent Zero Wrote:I might try this year. I mean I've signed up and re-activated my account but I do not have any ideas.
Write about Aaron H and his pink hair.........trust me, it's a good idea
Oh man. Harvey Danger RPF? That toes the line between "makes me giggle" and "makes me cry."

(Can we put Julie in charge of that project?)
10-28-2006, 03:48 PM

Harvey Danger/The Long Winters/Death Cab/Decemberists fanfic mega battle action force super team!

... will be the title of my novel.
10-28-2006, 04:48 PM

JOSEPH, WHERE ARE YOU?
10-28-2006, 07:34 PM

Agent Zero Wrote:Harvey Danger/The Long Winters/Death Cab/Decemberists fanfic mega battle action force super team!

Indie Pop Action Force Superteam Intervines On France's Farmer's Revenge On Seattle But Then Are Destroyed By A Mutant Zombie Pirate Incarnation Of Agent Zero Until Aaron's Hair Turns Pink And Conquers teh Universe
By Agent Zero
Badly Illustrated By Phragit
Original Bad Idea By Phragit

10-28-2006, 09:39 PM

Agent Zero Wrote:Harvey Danger/The Long Winters/Death Cab/Decemberists fanfic mega battle action force super team!

The real f-word is fanfic.

Pure evil.
10-29-2006, 04:08 AM

True that Johnny, true that.

Hey, Phragit, go halves on the movie rights?
10-29-2006, 05:18 AM

Agent Zero Wrote:True that Johnny, true that.

Hey, Phragit, go halves on the movie rights?
halves.......only if my half pays more.............................half is good

10-29-2006, 05:50 PM

I'm so freakin' doing NaNo! It's year 3! I'm also the ML for the Buffalo, NY area! Join our area and say hi! My novel this year is about a city sinking into a lake, and a Detective investigating the bodyparts of a woman washing up on one of the shores and the 4 people who insist they did it.

Visit me or don't.
10-29-2006, 10:52 PM

Well, if we're going to talk about plot...

My story begins when I, the author of the book, find a box containing a series of absurd/existential plays in my house and read them and think that they are absolutely brilliant. I in turn decide to adapt them into chapters of a novel with a few pages of the plays intact to begin each chapter for the reader to marvel at their brilliance. In fact, the plays are absolute shit that has no meaning or relevance, and the underlying joke is that I have terrible taste in literature, yet I'm writing a book.

The book itself (based around these plays, which do not actually exist off-the-page) follows five characters who all ride the same bus and are friends and acquaintences.

LEJOLE BASTARD: The most ordinary person in the entire world. He is a college student and loves loves loves sandwiches. His parents died of leprosy.

DASMASCRETUS JERK: Literally everything in the entire universe is involved in an intricate conspiracy to make his life miserable. He is exceedingly rich because his parents left him an inheritance after being murdered by hockey superstar Wayne Gretsky.

PROMETHEUS LAZARUS: He is one of the elect 535,000 people destined at the beginning of time to go to Heaven. He is frequently killed, and comes back, because there are no negative consequences for dying again since he is always going to go back to Heaven. His parents died of cancer.

MATT (short for) MATTILDA EDWINGOLFRICKSONIANDEMOCRACY MONSTER: Lejole's best friend. He is a complete idiot and his favorite food is cucumbers. Somehow he fathered a radioactive cheetah with his wife, who died in childbirth. Its name is Green Glowing Monster. His parents died of AIDS.

ALLOWICIOUS the ALL-KNOWING MAN: He knows everything in the universe and wears a mask constantly because he has a job as the fortune teller at a nearby circus.

Each chapter, as noted before, begins with three to five pages of play format before jumping into first-person present-tense narration from one of the five characters. I've established distinctive voice and plots for each of them and am barreling through to finish by Christmas; it will be 16 chapters long, with everyone getting at least three chapters to themselves in terms of P.O.V.

And oddly enough, it doesn't feel like it's A.D.D. on the page.

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
10-30-2006, 03:55 AM

Myrrth Sicopath Wrote:...the underlying joke is that I have terrible taste in literature, yet I'm writing a book.
Gah, are we the two people in the universe who think that this is a great device? I feel like I have this conversation about shows/songs/books/comics I find humorous all the time.
ME: Isn't this AWESOME? It cracks me up! It's brilliant!
HIM: There's nothing brilliant to it. It's stupid.
ME: It's supposed to be stupid! That's the point! That's why it's funny!
HIM: Noooo, it's just regular-stupid.

(Does anybody else read the brilliant Dinosaur comic at quantz.com? We get into this argument every time that comic updates.)

Myrrth Wrote:And oddly enough, it doesn't feel like it's A.D.D. on the page.
Doesn't it? It sure sounds like A.D.D. on the page, especially with your ridiculous character names. I suppose we'll just have to read the finished product, eh? ;-)