Last.fm
10-19-2006, 11:13 AM

Not at all. Most Distros these days do everything for you. In the latest version of Mandriva, I have not had to do much at all, except point and click of course. Support for linux has been so much better lately, that I feel if I would've made the switch today, as opposed to 5 years ago, I wouldn't have been nearly as frustrated. I suppose when you see someone using programs that'd you'd normally pay $300+ for, and they're not pirated, and you're very very poor, you decide that its a good time to change. To be honest, it can be difficult to catch on to, because its very different from Windows, but once you learn you seriously feel like you're computer rocks. (Ex: When I looked for a program to defrag my hard drive for the first time, only to find out that linux doesn't need to be defraged on a regular basis, I was the happiest person alive!)

Franky
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2006, 09:41 PM

Their new concert calendar is pretty nifty.
10-31-2006, 10:21 PM

BiggerProblems Wrote:Hahaha, "Hey, Sandy", BladeRunner?

fuck yes

[Image: bwp4.gif]
10-31-2006, 11:36 PM

BladeRunner Wrote:
BiggerProblems Wrote:Hahaha, "Hey, Sandy", BladeRunner?

fuck yes

Polaris for the win.

[Image: misterfunnyman.png]
11-01-2006, 10:50 AM

dchris Wrote:Their new concert calendar is pretty nifty.

It is isn't it? I liked that.
Find all posts by this user
05-17-2008, 01:43 AM

"Dining Car" finally cracked the top 100! From 104 to 82 this week.
05-18-2008, 11:49 AM

Add "spaceboy_" k thx

Gun don't kill babies, babies kill babies.
12-16-2008, 02:04 PM

I deleted my last.fm account today, because my hatred of it finally boiled over.

Does anybody else really, really hate last.fm? Next to cell phones and horses, I feel like it might be the Thing I Hate Most That Everybody Else Loves.

"Why, Christin?"
--Because it does not accurately reflect my music listening, primarily. It only picks up iTunes, and does not pick up music heard in the car (CD or radio), or online, whether that's through Pandora or bands' MySpace pages or free.napster.com or minimized YouTube videos. I listen to a wide variety of music, but last.fm would have you believe that I've only heard of maybe five bands.
--Because it makes me self-conscious about repeating a song thirty times in ninety minutes.
--Because sometimes it randomly doesn't scrobble shit that I do play in iTunes.
--Because, well, it makes me feel self-conscious about my music choices, and as Myles previously established, fuck that.
12-16-2008, 02:28 PM

Scottique Wrote:and as Myles previously established, fuck that.

Wait, what'd I do? :lol:

I love my lastfm. I pet it nightly and call it "prettyface" (even though its new version is butt ugly. It's a self esteem issue we're working through). My iPod/tunes is my primary form of listening (yes, I still buy CDs, but mostly for collecting/support purposes). So nearly all my music gets scrobbled.

Plus, I like forcing my shamelessness upon my friends. It's fun.

dogmatica, in 2006, Wrote:Please, rip on my favorite band. It makes me respect you and your interests.
12-16-2008, 02:52 PM

I fucking love Last FM, more than I have ever loved a pet or romantic partner.
12-16-2008, 04:01 PM

I'm rather fiercely addicted to last fm.

"She drove it like she stole it. She stole it fast, and with a multitude of casualties."
12-16-2008, 07:39 PM

The distinction is between self-consciousness at what I listen to, versus self-consciousness at what last.fm makes it look like I listen to. Which is to say, last.fm was providing a very skewed, impartial picture of my music-listening habits.

And rather than dealing with it by defending it, I'm dealing with it by refusing to see it as something I'm obligated to defend. If that makes sense, which it does. :-)
12-16-2008, 11:10 PM

I've pretty much assumed it to be the case that no one cares about what my play counts and stats are half as much as I care. I love lists, and last.fm keeps them for me. I practically live there.
12-17-2008, 12:36 AM

My last.fm page probably isn't the greatest reflection of everything I listen to, either, but I love it just the same. I just like to look at the pretty lists.
12-17-2008, 10:04 AM

dchris Wrote:I love lists, and last.fm keeps them for me. I practically live there.

My sentiments exactly.

I just recovered from a five day long power-outage and it was like being homeless in my own home.

"She drove it like she stole it. She stole it fast, and with a multitude of casualties."