Local bontà
10-15-2006, 03:59 AM
Local bontà
Scottique Wrote:My nefarious ulterior motive: stealing your taste in music and making it my own. Bwa ha ha. I've been on a "Expand your fucking musical horizons" kick lately and am looking for ideas.
This led me to wonder the other night: what is the best band where you are? All too often, the best band in a scene never breaks out, and the only way to know about it is to ask someone on the ground there… which is what I am doing.

Atlanta! Buffalo! Milwaukee! East Bumblefunk! Who there truly rules?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2006, 07:24 AM

There are no good bands in Nowheresville, UK. Until next week, when my band will practice for the first time.
10-15-2006, 09:12 AM

We don't have bands in Buffalo, all we have is snow. Boy does this suck. It's October, damnit!

(I'll give this thought when I have power and more than four seconds on the computer)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-15-2006, 11:23 AM

I think Cheap Trick was signed to a record deal after playing at a bowling alley in Waukesha. Does that count?
10-15-2006, 12:50 PM

KidintheCarpetStore Wrote:We don't have bands in Buffalo, all we have is snow. Boy does this suck. It's October, damnit!
Glad you made it on, at least.

And no, Cheap Trick does not count.
10-15-2006, 01:03 PM

The Gufs are from Milwaukee, but they aren't very good....
10-16-2006, 09:02 AM

johnnyfootballhero Wrote:
KidintheCarpetStore Wrote:We don't have bands in Buffalo, all we have is snow. Boy does this suck. It's October, damnit!
Glad you made it on, at least.

And no, Cheap Trick does not count.

Ha! I'm at work!

Bands that rule in Buffalo (or at least should): Czeck Mates, Ice Cream Social, The Frame Up and Lemuria (sorta). The rest of the Buffalo scene is mostly filled with punk or hardcore bands, and I can't get into them. I've tried. Honorable mentions are Zou Zou and The Irving Claws. Then there are my friend's bands, who are in-between: Pollock, More Than Me & Juxtaposse. They've all got myspace.

Visit me or don't.
10-16-2006, 12:46 PM

Pantera?

Gotta get up, gotta get out, gotta get home before the morning comes.
10-16-2006, 09:41 PM

My current favorite Seattle band (that has never had a member of Harvey Danger in it) is without a doubt Half Acre Day. I highly recomend you check them out:

http://www.halfacreday.com
http://www.myspace.com/halfacreday

If you're felling really adventurous, you could sign up for their podcast (link on their webpage) which has a bunch of demos, unreleased tracks and b-sides. download the song "Multiply" which I have found to be the catchiest song in years.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
10-17-2006, 06:48 AM

Joseph Wrote:Bands that rule in Buffalo (or at least should): Czeck Mates, Ice Cream Social, The Frame Up and Lemuria (sorta). The rest of the Buffalo scene is mostly filled with punk or hardcore bands, and I can't get into them. I've tried. Honorable mentions are Zou Zou and The Irving Claws. Then there are my friend's bands, who are in-between: Pollock, More Than Me & Juxtaposse. They've all got myspace.

I like Ice Cream Social a lot. There was this band I saw at Mohawk Place a couple months back who I liked but subsequently forgot or warped their name in my head. Captain Jack, maybe? How'd the weather treat you, Joseph?
10-17-2006, 07:25 PM

The Remarkable Man Wrote:If you're felling really adventurous, you could sign up for their podcast (link on their webpage) which has a bunch of demos, unreleased tracks and b-sides. download the song "Multiply" which I have found to be the catchiest song in years.
I could not find "Multiply," so I went with "Action Figure's Fault." Good or bad?
10-17-2006, 10:13 PM

johnnyfootballhero Wrote:
The Remarkable Man Wrote:If you're felling really adventurous, you could sign up for their podcast (link on their webpage) which has a bunch of demos, unreleased tracks and b-sides. download the song "Multiply" which I have found to be the catchiest song in years.
I could not find "Multiply," so I went with "Action Figure's Fault." Good or bad?

That one's on their Myspace, right? It's a good song, but not great, I'd say. "Multiply" is on their podcast. If you subscribe to it, then you can check it out.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
10-18-2006, 05:56 AM

KidintheCarpetStore Wrote:I like Ice Cream Social a lot. There was this band I saw at Mohawk Place a couple months back who I liked but subsequently forgot or warped their name in my head. Captain Jack, maybe? How'd the weather treat you, Joseph?

I like ICS a lot too. They're fantastic! Ice Cream Social is at the Mohawk's Halloween Party I think, this year. If not they're playing on the 27th. As for the weather...we're still out of power, so at this point it pretty much kicked my ass. If I wasn't so awesome, I'd say this had been a crappy couple of weeks. But, thankfully, I'm so awesome. How'd it go for you?

Visit me or don't.
10-18-2006, 07:23 AM

We're still sans power in my neck of the woods, too. Most of our trees either came down or lost significant chunks, so that stinks. Thank goodness for UB's library or I wouldn't be able to get anything done. Isn't the Halloween party on the 27th? That would be super because that's also my birthday and I think I'm stuck working on Halloween.
10-18-2006, 07:50 AM

remarkable,

checked out all of HADs m-space music. honestly cant see the fuss you made about them. very generic indie, maybe ill have to check out their podcast

Sean

Even Paul Newman shriveled up into an old man and turned to dust