Medley?
10-10-2006, 03:44 PM

It was? Hell, I wonder how that worked.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2006, 06:36 PM

I was sorting through a big box of CDs last night and came across one attributed to Lidsville. I went back through just to make sure it did not also say Lunchbox.

I think "Cool James" started out in the style of a Pat DiNizio song, but don't quote me on that.
10-10-2006, 07:32 PM

Pat DiNizio from the Smithereens? The old Cool James was was a full-on rock song. Sort of grungey. The current version bares very little resemblence to it, other than the lyrics.
10-10-2006, 09:27 PM

sad ona Wrote:
Agent Zero Wrote:Man, I want to hear Foot Controlled Activator.
Or at least, find out what that song was about ¬_¬

Wedlock is also an intruiging title, but more subtley.

Wow, Cool James existe around Merrymakers time? Delicious. Are there live (or anything) versions of 11/12/13/14? I have heard Lester Ballard discussed elsewhere in such a way that implied some of you may have heard it.

there's just the one live version of lester ballard, as far as i know. i've never seen any of the others around. but it's a wicked good song.
http://download.yousendit.com/9E2CEDC127750C48

Thankee muchly. I shall report back later after putting it on my mp3 player and spending all day at school listening to it on repeat.

OH YES I WILL
10-11-2006, 01:12 PM

damn, that is an old ass set list. definitely pre-KJV, probably pre-Merrymakers on a major label, but maybe not. i'd carbon date it around 1996-1997, given that i don't think we ever played old hat during the merrymakers touring period. suckers. (us.)

"nrvs" refers to a short-lived, never recorded song called "Nervous Breakdown on the Floor-style" whose lyrics dealt with the love story between Mary Kay LeTourneau and Vili Fuulauu (or however many "u"s go in there)--the female teacher and her teenage lover. it was a very big story here. I assume it got national coverage. I found their story incredibly poignant and wrenching, while the news coverage of it was tawdry and sordid. the best thing that anyone ever wrote or said about it was a piece by Charles D'Ambrosio in the Stranger, later collected in his book "Orphans" (Clear Cut Press--go buy it!).

i was always sad that song never really came all the way together after much early promise. it was modeled somewhat loosely (and ineffectively) on that Failure song "Stuck on You," though it alsoo copped a certain feel from the Low version of Joy Division's "Transmission." the only version that ever existed was when we played it live on KNDD in the morning one time. there may be practice room cassette fragments as well, but it's pretty much gone.

i did later cannibalize some of the words, as i do from time to time.

---
A bond this thick is never unstuck
a thousand pages, a finished product
i've had the chance to look things over
i've had this whole place to myself

i see your photograph is face down on the table
i'll turn it over when and if I'm able
they've started closing all your places
they've been removing any traces

they caught me stealing all your glances
it's a crime when you love somebody...

nervous breakdown on-the-floor-style, mary, i wish you could've seen it
i will not be your friend or your correspondent
this time i think they mean it

mary kay, wasting away, meanwhile i'm staying home on prom night...
---

something along those lines.

ah, youth.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2006, 01:24 PM

A-mazing. Record it. Please. I can never have too much HD. Any plans for another full-length album? Smile
10-11-2006, 01:27 PM

I think I remember Sarah-Paul of Love Hotel saying that their song Love Story of the Century was also somewhat based on the same people.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
10-11-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:I think I remember Sarah-Paul of Love Hotel saying that their song Love Story of the Century was also somewhat based on the same people.

True
10-11-2006, 01:55 PM

Truly, there aren't enough Harvey Danger songs.

Lately I seem to be pondering the nature of what is not, but had potential to be.
10-11-2006, 02:36 PM

sean Wrote:it was a very big story here. I assume it got national coverage.

International. In fact, since she came out of prison the pair of them, who are married, seem to be in trashy, British women's mags fairly frequently *cough* not that I'd know about that. Anyway, its an interesting story.

Those lyrics are lovely, especially "they caught me stealing all your glances." Oh, ouch.

Stories of rags to riches leave me in stitches...
10-11-2006, 05:53 PM

sean Wrote:ah, youth.

and the fecund-y-ness.
10-12-2006, 02:20 PM

sean Wrote:damn, that is an old ass set list. definitely pre-KJV, probably pre-Merrymakers on a major label, but maybe not. i'd carbon date it around 1996-1997, given that i don't think we ever played old hat during the merrymakers touring period. suckers. (us.)

"nrvs" refers to a short-lived, never recorded song called "Nervous Breakdown on the Floor-style" whose lyrics dealt with the love story between Mary Kay LeTourneau and Vili Fuulauu (or however many "u"s go in there)--the female teacher and her teenage lover. it was a very big story here. I assume it got national coverage. I found their story incredibly poignant and wrenching, while the news coverage of it was tawdry and sordid. the best thing that anyone ever wrote or said about it was a piece by Charles D'Ambrosio in the Stranger, later collected in his book "Orphans" (Clear Cut Press--go buy it!).

i was always sad that song never really came all the way together after much early promise. it was modeled somewhat loosely (and ineffectively) on that Failure song "Stuck on You," though it alsoo copped a certain feel from the Low version of Joy Division's "Transmission." the only version that ever existed was when we played it live on KNDD in the morning one time. there may be practice room cassette fragments as well, but it's pretty much gone.

i did later cannibalize some of the words, as i do from time to time.

---
A bond this thick is never unstuck
a thousand pages, a finished product
i've had this whole place to myself

i see your photograph is face down on the table
i'll turn it over when and if I'm able
they've started closing all your places
they've been removing any traces

they caught me stealing all your glances
it's a crime when you love somebody...

nervous breakdown on-the-floor-style, mary, i wish you could've seen it
i will not be your friend or your correspondent
this time i think they mean it

mary kay, wasting away, meanwhile i'm staying home on prom night...
---

something along those lines.

ah, youth.

Man, I really hate you. In an "I love you" way. I mean even your rejected never recorded lyrics are fucking brilliant.

*envies*
*scribbles terrible lyrics*
*worships*
10-13-2006, 12:35 PM

i think you forgot a verse:

...when they finally let me out of here
you'll be old enough for everything
i'll let you buy the beer to celebrate
will you wait, will you wait
89 months is a long time, you don't have to tell me

the very next time that i see you
you'll be legal, we'll be legal dear
i've found their laws are not our laws
a love that dares to speak it's name
cannot be tried in the court of justice, no...
10-13-2006, 12:39 PM

Okay, who created a troll just to add an extra verse or two to a song that doesn't even exit?
10-13-2006, 01:44 PM

HOLY SHIT!

i think those are real! they're close, anyway... you should PM me and tell me who you are and how you know. that's amazing.