New York ahoy! (Mercury Lounge, 10/7)
10-08-2006, 01:12 AM
New York ahoy! (Mercury Lounge, 10/7)
Hi, I'm Prophet. You might remember me from such posts as "The Diatribein is Revolting!" and "Elliot Smith: He Had It Coming." But tonight I'm going to talk to you about the exciting and profitable world of New York City concerts.

Man, what a night. I wound up missing the first act, Metal Hearts, because a lost cell phone had me running from the East Village to the West Village and back - luckily, we found the little fucker. Came just in time to see the bulk of So Many Dynamos, who weren't too shabby. Though the stars of the opening crew were clearly RaRaRiot, a rock ensemble featuring cute girls on classical string instruments. I now have a crush on the cellist, whom I tried to flash an occasional wink or winsome smile to from my spot in the front row.

I also had the pleasure of partying alongside Rich, our very own Carlotta Valdes. Real nice guy, and the band all knows him (and knows to watch out). He also seemed to have most of the other present members mapped out in their placement on the venue floor, and reported a full roster to Sean prior to their set.

And goddamn, what a set. We got (not in this particular order) Bowie's "Oh! You Pretty Things" off the new EP, Terminal Annex, Ballad of the Tragic Hero, Old Hat, Jack the Lion, an encore kicked off by Pike Street/Park Slope (to which I obnoxiously shouted "Crooklyn What"), and amazingly enough an impromptu request of Defrocked was actually granted. I was slightly disappointed that the band never took my suggestion from the Request thread for a Talking Heads cover, but then it's probably not a good idea to request a band play someone else's song rather than any of their own.

Speaking of me being an ass, I'd like to apologize to Sean and everyone in the front row for my consistantly loud, braying singing. I spend so much time listening to HD tracks and never getting the chance to belt out the lyrics, and having waited so many years for my chance at a live show I had to take advantage of the deafening speaker arrangements to sing my bloated little heart out. If it's any consolation, I think I've fucked my voice up beyond all repair, so I don't think I'll be doing that again. The most I can hope to do now are Tom Waits impressions.

This was my first Danger show after damn near a decade of waiting for the chance, and the band didn't disappoint. Many, many thanks to Sean and Jeff and Aaron and Michael and Rob, who played an amazing set. But for the love of christ, don't you dare wait another 8 years to come back out here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2006, 04:03 AM
Re: New York ahoy! (Mercury Lounge, 10/7)
Prophet Wrote:I tried to flash an occasional wink or winsome smile to from my spot in the front row.
Winks don't work with indie fans.

My LBL bonus disc is Ethiopian.
[Image: Savetheday.gif]
10-08-2006, 05:11 AM
Prophet Wrote:Speaking of me being an ass, I'd like to apologize to Sean and everyone in the front row for my consistantly loud, braying singing.

Apologies to the third row for mine. God what a great show too, thank you Sean and everyone for coming out to our neck of the woods.
10-08-2006, 05:46 AM

I had a fantastic time -- and I apologize for my obnoxious singing too. Come to think about it, I was probably right near you guys since I was in a general nexus of obnoxious singing.

Twice you burned your life's work.
Once to start a new life, and once just to start a fire.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2006, 09:22 AM

Fantastic time here too. It was great hearing not only songs from the albums, but also the B-Sides. Well worth the wait, and hopefully this time around it will be a lot less than 8 years til their next NYC show!

~ScaryMonkeyShow
"I'm gonna sing the DOOM song now!"
10-08-2006, 12:31 PM

Did anyone from the board get together after the show? As I said, Rich seemed to know every one of us in attendance, and kept a headcount; so I was hoping maybe he had something planned. That area would have been perfect for a little after-show meetup, if only to grab some overpriced sandwiches from Katz's Deli.
10-08-2006, 12:33 PM

I'd have invited everyone over to my place ten blocks away, 'cept I have sleeping roommates and no furniture yet.

10-08-2006, 12:37 PM

Well hell, if anyone had been up for coming out to Crooklyn, my pad is huge. And I relish any opportunity to piss off my roommates.
10-08-2006, 01:41 PM

If you can't bray at a band you love, when can you?

Stories of rags to riches leave me in stitches...
10-08-2006, 03:35 PM

When you have access to a sound-proof booth.
10-08-2006, 05:14 PM

So can people be a little more about "Defrocked", please? Was it the full seven and a half minutes? Was it tight or just like a carefree jam? Details, I beg of you.

My LBL bonus disc is Ethiopian.
[Image: Savetheday.gif]
10-08-2006, 05:47 PM

It was pretty close to the full running time. What was amazing is that I really don't think the band had planned on playing it. Dude just calls out "Defrocked!" which has Sean spinning his wheels for a moment, before turning to Aaron and Jeff and asking if they can pull it off. And they just launch into it without missing a beat.
10-08-2006, 05:50 PM

Prophet Wrote:It was pretty close to the full running time. What was amazing is that I really don't think the band had planned on playing it. Dude just calls out "Defrocked!" which has Sean spinning his wheels for a moment, before turning to Aaron and Jeff and asking if they can pull it off. And they just launch into it without missing a beat.

Sean's voice did crack a little on those top notes, but I'll forgive him for that. I mean, jeez, that's some serious vocal range.

10-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Prophet Wrote:Hi, I'm Prophet. You might remember me from such posts as "The Dietribein is Revolting!".

WTF?!?

Way more handsome, smarter and nicer than you are, but you'll never know. I have to start keeping count... what is this random shot of stupidity #10, 15, 20??? Who are you again? I crap less revolting things than you, fool.
10-08-2006, 09:01 PM
diatribein Wrote:
Prophet Wrote:Hi, I'm Prophet. You might remember me from such posts as "The Dietribein is Revolting!".

WTF?!?

Way more handsome, smarter and nicer than you are, but you'll never know. I have to start keeping count... what is this random shot of stupidity #10, 15, 20??? Who are you again? I crap less revolting things than you, fool.

let's be nice kids! we are a big happy (not dysfunctional) family. let's keep it that way, or at least pretend to for the kids.