mass confusion..... mistaken identity.
12-07-2004, 06:35 PM
mass confusion..... mistaken identity.
I love Harvey danger. I saw them in vancouver, BC, I bought the second cd. I loged on the website to see when their shows happened. never found any shows in Portland OR, anyhow... point being... I was a member of the old message boards and i read somewhere about Sean having done work with other bands, and the name "Postal Service" was mentioned. that caught my attention. so I did some research, and found nothing on the postal service cd that mentioned Sean nelson's name. others told me he was also the singer for Death Cab for Cutie. I thought "how crazy, three bands at once? if this is true, no wonder Harvey Danger isnt doing much these days". however, I noticed that teh singer for death Cab for Cutie doesnt go by the name "Sean Nelson" either. I listen to Postal service, and it sounds a lot like Sean. yet, I have to wonder. I think the most logical choice is someone heard it and just assumed it was Sean. But it is also possible that Sean has some sort of contractual obligation with one label and thus goes by another name while recording for another label. I thought some of you might be able to clear up any of the confusion for me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Re: mass confusion..... mistaken identity.
you know, when I first heard Death Cab for Cutie, I thought Ben Gibbard sounded just like Sean, too. I don't hear it at all now, though. Anyway - Ben and Sean are definitely not the same guy, though they have worked together on occasion.

The band you're probably looking for is The Long Winters, where Sean spent much of HD's hiatus time playing keyboards and singing back-up.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2004, 09:24 PM

Sean did sing lead vocals on Death Cab For Cutie's cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival's Fortunate Son, which was on the Don't Know When I'll Be Back Again compilation.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
12-08-2004, 07:45 AM

I never thought the two sounded alike. I'll have to listen for that.

Remarkable, you really are remarkable. how do you know everything?
12-08-2004, 08:28 AM

Just because he's tenor,
Doesn't make him better.
12-08-2004, 08:29 AM
thanks
yes, it is all coming back to me now. I looked on the message boards and read "the long winters" and then forgot the name and as I went asking around someone casually mentioned "postal service" which got me al lconfused. I suppose someone heard the music and thought it was Sean. anyhow, I havent really listenend to Death Cab For Cutie but it is my understanding that the singer for Postal Service is the same. Postal service is a great cd, which is odd coming from me since ussually if it isnt guitar driven music I don't like it.
12-08-2004, 09:02 AM

Brant Wrote:Just because he's tenor,
Doesn't make him better.

did anyone guess that before?
12-08-2004, 11:39 AM

i dont think so...interesting
12-08-2004, 12:00 PM

from the bottom of my heart, and more importantly, my wallet, i WISH the postal service were secretly my side project instead of the side project of my friend ben. though he does sing harmony on a couple of HD songs (including "plague of locusts" from the new EP) and i sing harmony on a couple of DCFC songs, ben gibbard and i are not the same person. i should be so lucky. when people have compared our vocal stylings in the past, as they have on many occasions, my only response has been to feel utterly flattered--beyond belief. he's one of my favorite singers, songwriters, musicians, people, etc.

carry on!
12-08-2004, 12:03 PM

Funny I like Seans more than Bens. Although I adore thems both.
12-08-2004, 12:24 PM

wait! Sean, come back! do you want the questions surrounding the end of Meetings to carry on into the rebirth of Harvey Danger? please tell us what you said...
12-08-2004, 04:23 PM

Never much liked death cab

but noone is like sean

Gun don't kill babies, babies kill babies.
12-08-2004, 04:33 PM

the few songs I have heard of Death cab didnt impress me much. but this postal service stuff has got me by the throat.
12-08-2004, 05:03 PM

meta.

meta meta meta.

"just because it's meta- doesn't make it any betta!"

good god, people. you're better than that.

"You can't break eggs without making an omelette.
—That's what they tell the eggs."
-Randall Jarrell
12-08-2004, 05:18 PM

meta? spanish for goal. latin for some sort of change or higher state.... what is this meta stuff referring to?