Poll: Should we disallow guest posting? Meaning you would have to be a registered member to post.
I like guest postings, leave things as they are.
Only registered users should be able to post. Please stop the guest postings.
[Show Results]

Guests or NoGuests?
02-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Guests or NoGuests?
This is a poll to see if we think that Guest posting should be disallowed and thereby rid ourselves of many of the pests that waste our time on this forum.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2006, 08:19 PM

I don't know if banning guest posting will fix the problem. Have you looked at the registered mamber list for the board? I'd say the majority of them are spambots that registered. Something needs to be done, but I don't know much about these kinds of things so I don't have any ideas.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-26-2006, 08:58 PM

Inevitably you are the one who has to deal with this problem more than almost anyone, so I think your opinion should weigh pretty heavily on this subject. I only think that it may be a good idea to cut off the guest posting because lately most of the attacks seem to be coming from unregistered users.

Obviously, more could be done, such as putting in the fuzzy letter security boxes that some people have suggested. I think that someone had said that you have to pay for those kind of security measures and I don't like the idea of the band wasting money over these kind of low-life attacks. So I don't know where that leaves us.

As a moderator, what do you think are the pros and cons of the available solutions? I just don't think it is fair that you have to spend so much of your time deleting useless junk so that the rest of us can enjoy the board.
02-26-2006, 10:37 PM

All I'm saying is that the fact that there are so many registered spambots means that there is something about this board that attracts them more than others. I've been on a few other boards of this type, both that allow and don't allow guest posts, and none of them have the spambot problem that this board has. Deleting 20 spambot posts a day sucks, but I think that banning guest posting would only temporarily solve the problem and that we would be better off finding out why the board attracts so many spambots, and fix that.

Pray to the God that you don't quite believe in
To bless this fleeting moment
Yeah, YEAH, YEAH!
02-26-2006, 11:37 PM

I re-mention Homncruse's suggestions of changing the robots.txt file and, I think more significantly, renaming the board directory. If that doesn't stop it then removing guests might be necessary, but since the "registered users" I see most on here are bots I'd doubt that'd be any kind of solution.

Love Potato
02-27-2006, 07:09 AM

Most of the spam is by registered bots. I rarely see Guest posting spam. The biggest reason I'd say Guest shouldn't be able to post is that more often than not a Guest post is done by someone who meant to log in, but forgot to.
02-27-2006, 12:56 PM

Brant Wrote:I rarely see Guest posting spam.

Mainly true, but wasn't that poker365 (or whatever) who pwned the board spamwise last week just a guest?

I say go for new user validation (which may be the reason other similar boards TRM is on don't get this much spam). Validating can probably be delegated to a mod to save Jeff the hassle. And surely the much touted directory rename has become a must. Something has to be done. Advertisements in bumped posts-from-a-bygone-age is so annoying.

Where is that Jeff anyways in such terrible times? Off on his sunny sunny hols I hope.

Stories of rags to riches leave me in stitches...
02-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Hey php types, ch-ch-ch check it out.
http://boonedocks.net/mike/archives/49-P...-Spam.html

There's a link there to some quickie php code. Basically, you're modifying the registration form to have one more entry blank that requires user attention during registration (much like the oft-requested squigly numbers filling out thing, only this is free) and denying entry to anyone (bots) who don't see it.

Be seeing you...
-Flynn
"I forget what my friends look like, and they forget why they like me, but that's old hat. I'm so happy! How do you write about that?"
02-27-2006, 02:32 PM

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=186683

Here's more. Only this looks vastly more complicated to me. The general idea is that a bots purpose in life is to post it's webaddress anywhere it can (such as website field and sig field) so don't allow users to enter a website untill they've posted X number of times (configurable). If they autosubmit this info (meaning they're sending data from a script to a field that is not viewable to them) they're auto-banned. Normal people registering won't be affected by this at all.

Be seeing you...
-Flynn
"I forget what my friends look like, and they forget why they like me, but that's old hat. I'm so happy! How do you write about that?"